Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

should I send him something?

I need your advice guys..

I know that Valentine?s day is a biiig thing in North America and people go on dates and give presents to their loves ones.
    I'm from Europe and there we don't celebrate this so much. Especially I think that there should not be just one day where you treat the one you love good, it should be like everyday lol So I've never celebrated this day. My bf has been grown up in Canada and I think that they celebrate this..
    the thing is that I already sent him a few postcards for some occasions like when he had a surgery, from my vacation, and for christmas.. he didn't have my adress till a few weeks ago before new year..so I gave it him and thought he would send me a love letter or something else..but nothing came.. so now I think that he might will send me something for Valentine's day.. but I'm not sure... I don't know if I should send him something but then I would feel a bit stupid if he didn't send me anything,you know? so what should I do?

Why not ask him how he feels about Valentine's Day? If you like the idea of it, you could tell him you don't usually celebrate it in Europe but you like the idea of celebrating it with him. :P I know my SO was not keen at all on the idea of Valentine's until I came round. That way, you won't end up feeling awkward however it pans out.

That said, however, gift giving isn't about expecting things in return, so if you feel like sending him something to surprise him with it, why not? And if you don't feel like getting him something for Valentine's or you're only getting him something because you think he's sending you a surprise, don't. Do it because you want to, not because you feel like you have to. That said, when it comes to Valentine's, I usually ask the person I'm with. That way, we both know what the other's expectations are from the get-go.
    { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
    Met online: February 2009
    Feelings confessed: December 2010
    Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
    Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
    First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
    Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
    Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
    Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After
    to be continued...

Comment

hmm you're right.. but like I said I don't like this day and I would never celebrate this.. but I'm not sure if he likes it.. but I don't know how to ask him?lol would be somehow awkward: "hey babe,you know valentine's day is soon, are you celebrating this?" lol
      I could of course tell him how much he means to me and that he is important to me, but I can do this with an e-mail...don't know

Comment

You could always send him a nice e-mail and start it out with something like "So I don't normally celebrate Valentine's Day, but I wanted to say..." and then write the e-mail? That way you're not compromising your integrity (doing something you wouldn't normally) but you're still writing him something nice/sweet that he can appreciate?
        { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
        Met online: February 2009
        Feelings confessed: December 2010
        Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
        Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
        First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
        Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
        Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
        Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After
        to be continued...

Comment

I feel the same way but valentines day, people should show their love and affection everyday. But it does depend on the person. For some gifts are a huge deal, others just say happy valentines day and some dont even make note of it.

So just ask. A card, in my opinion would be good. It at least shows you are thinking about him. But if it is a bid deal about it then maybe get him something small.
          Got together Jan 3, 2011~ Closed the Distance March 23, 2012~ Living Together Since June 19 2012~ Future TBD......

I miss you more than I ever could have believed; and I was prepared to miss you a good deal." ~ Vita Sackville-west

Comment

Originally posted by Eclaire View Post
            Why not ask him how he feels about Valentine's Day? If you like the idea of it, you could tell him you don't usually celebrate it in Europe but you like the idea of celebrating it with him. :P I know my SO was not keen at all on the idea of Valentine's until I came round. That way, you won't end up feeling awkward however it pans out.

That said, however, gift giving isn't about expecting things in return, so if you feel like sending him something to surprise him with it, why not? And if you don't feel like getting him something for Valentine's or you're only getting him something because you think he's sending you a surprise, don't. Do it because you want to, not because you feel like you have to. That said, when it comes to Valentine's, I usually ask the person I'm with. That way, we both know what the other's expectations are from the get-go.

I agree with this!!
            Love knows not distance, time, or logic.

Evan & Megan <3

Comment

Originally posted by Eclaire View Post
              You could always send him a nice e-mail and start it out with something like "So I don't normally celebrate Valentine's Day, but I wanted to say..." and then write the e-mail? That way you're not compromising your integrity (doing something you wouldn't normally) but you're still writing him something nice/sweet that he can appreciate?
              I think this would be the best..
              I don't expect him to buy me anything and this day would normally just be a normal day for me. If I ask him if he's celebrating this he might could think that I want him to do or send something to me..he would maybe think that this is a typical woman hint^^ lol
              I think I will just let the day come and prepare an e-mail to send to him..

thank you for your advice everyone <3

Comment

I'd ask him, my SO is Canadian too and he hates valentines day.
                As long as there is air in my lungs... there is a chance

Comment

but how to ask? lol I don't want it to sound like I would love to get something from him..lol

Comment

Just ask him how he's celebrates valentines, as you dont celebrate it where your from and your curious. That way you find out if it's something he does celebrate and the kind of thing he likes.
                    As long as there is air in my lungs... there is a chance

Comment

I have the same problem haha!

And:

I send him a gift package on his bday earlier this year, and on it was my address.. So I THINK he has my address hahaha. So what if I send him a card and don't get anything back because he wasn't smart enough to keep the box and the address

I know.. it's a silly thought... but still..
                      \\ Someday everything will all make perfect sense. So for now, laugh at the confusion, smile through the tears, and keep reminding yourself that everything //
                      \\ happens for a reason //

\\ We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing //

\\ When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” //
                      \\They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, I told them they didn’t understand life!! //

Comment

Working...
                      X