Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LDR with a crew member on a cruise ship

Hi there!
    First of all, im new here and find this forum very interesting and for sure a big help for people in long distance relationships.
    But, there are some things i dont really relate too, because my LDR experience is a bit different...
    Basically, im in land (Portugal) and he (ill call him C.) works on a cruise ship.

That's how we meet, we both were crew members on a cruise ship, 2 years ago. I think we love each other since that time, but, for various reasons (all having to do with me not being emotional available...!) things only got really serious recently. His last vacation he came to spend xmas and new year with me (not only he is working on cruise ships, but he is also from another country...) and finally i alowed mt self to feel happy with him.
    We are trying to arrange for us to be together (physically) maybe on the same cruise ship, maybe after the summer.... those are big maybes, as we cant really control that too much. But we think we deserve to give it a try!
    But, for now, im in land and he is at sea...
    I guess this has some similarities to a relationship with a marine, for example, but i think the life dynamic, the communication... are quite different.
    So, i was trying to find out if anyone in the forum is or has been in a LDR with a crew member at sea.

Cause, in this case, is not only the miles or the time difference that's the issue... the whole communication "logistic" is quite difficult.
    He has internet access everyday at his work, but its quite limited, so, just a quick email per day. The rest, depends of the itinerary that he's doing (on top of all, he changes ship ever 3 or 4 weeks, so we have to re-arrange everything).
    I can only call him on the phone when he is in a port with signal. To see each other, it has to be when he is in a port, has the chance to go outside the ship, go to a bar with wifi, and i have to either be free at work, or at home. And the connection is ALWAYS VERY POOR...

The jealousy issue is also not nice... of course this happens in every LDR, but i know that things can get quite tempting on a ship. You're 24/7 with the same people, everybody feels lonely sometimes, there are so many parties... things can get out of control quite easily.
    And another thing is find it to put more tension in us, is that on a ship things are very intense. Work is very intense, hours are very intense, emotions are very intense, you're busy all the time, have people around you all the time, it's go go go all the time...! in land... well, things can get a bit boring sometimes... From work you go home, from home you go to work... of course i try to keep my self busy, go out with friends... but i know very well its hard to balance ship life with land life. they're just... different dimensions....
    for example, for valentines' day i made a video for him. was so excited about it. he hasn't seen it yet. because internet on the ship is so slow and because he hasn't been out for a few days... i got very mad about it, like he didnt appreciated it, because here, obviously, i have all the time and the chance to see what he sends me, and i sometimes forget that over there, life is quite more hectic...

so, those are some of the challenges i find in LDR with one of us working on a ship.
    does anyone share this situation with me?

(sorry if i was too long... i have a tendency to "talk" non stop... :P
Working...
X