Cruise Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cruise Advice

I'm going on my first cruise this summer and I'm super excited! Is there anything I should know before going? The one thing I'm upset about is not getting to talk to my SO for 6 days. He does not want me to by internet time to email him, but I want to have some sort of communication with him. Any advice?

Two questions: What cruise line are you going on and where are you going?

Growing up, my family and I would go on a cruise every year as our little get away trip and they are absolutely amazing. The staff are so sweet, and although you'll be on the same ship for multiple days, there are really so many things to do that you won't even notice it. All cruise lines are different though, because some (Norwegian) are freestyle which means you can dress casually and eat all day (our favorite line haha) while some are more formal and you have to get dressed up to go to meals, sit with others, go at a certain time, etc.

I'm sure you've already gone to the website and checked out your ship but I'd definitely recommend going to the lobby once you board and checking out some of the programs that they offer while at sea (again, I don't know where you're going/where you're leaving from so maybe you won't even be at sea for a full day!) because some of them are really awesome. I went to a fruit carving class and I've never seen anything so crazy. Also, it's fun to just explore the ship. Most have bowling alleys, libraries, outdoor sports areas (although those are super busy during the day, it's best to go early morning or a little later at night).

Buying internet time is always a little dicey. I've never done it but some of my friends have and they've reported that you really do have to time things out or the cost will get outrageous. A case of browsing through things and losing track of time, you know? For Norwegian, internet was 75 cents a minute just to give you an estimate of how much it would be. A lot of ships now have wifi so you can bring your laptop and such. You can't skype or anything though because of bandwidth consumption issues though. As for calling, I don't know if you're going somewhere international such as the Caribbean, but every time we'd go down there, they'd announce how long you have until you reach international waters so that you can call up your family or SO without the extra charges.

Other than that though, have a great time! Like I said before, I've never met a rude staff member aboard any ship and it's awesome coming back to your room to find some towel animals. You'll also probably have some interesting elevator convos with other passengers. Generally, everyone is happy to be on a vacation and it's a great atmosphere. Be prepared to come home a few pounds heavier though haha.

Comment

We are going on a Carnival cruise in late May/early June. We will port at Key West, Grand Cayman and Jamaica. I know I'll be able to use my phone at Key West but I'm not sure about the other places. They do offer wifi but I am leaving my laptop at home (mom starts summer online classes that week). I am super excited about all of the food. I know we will probably get dressed up to eat one night out of the six that we will be on the cruise, but I'm pretty sure you aren't required to go to the fancy dinner.

Comment

Call him while you're in Key West (or text him, whatever works) and then enjoy your vacation the rest of the time. Your phone will work on board BUT it will cost a lot of money, and if you use it in another country it is going to cost you big time as well. Plus the wifi connection is not guaranteed. It's satellite based and sometimes in the middle of the ocean, it still won't pick up a signal. I went on a cruise without my SO and I was able to text him up until we left the port. Then I was able to text him once we landed in port to let him know I was safe and back and how much I missed him While I was on the ship and missing him, I wrote him a letter of all the things I was doing and how beautiful the ocean was in the Caribbean, and if I'd tried something new at dinner or if the people I went with were acting crazy. That way, I felt like I was keeping him posted and then I sent it to him when I got back home.

Yes, you will miss him and wish he was there, but there's usually so much to do and see that you won't have time to dwell on it. Carnival is the "fun" cruise line and they always have something happening on board My suggestion - don't miss the hairy men's chest competition - you will laugh your butt off

Comment

Originally posted by blankita719 View Post
          Call him while you're in Key West (or text him, whatever works) and then enjoy your vacation the rest of the time. Your phone will work on board BUT it will cost a lot of money, and if you use it in another country it is going to cost you big time as well. Plus the wifi connection is not guaranteed. It's satellite based and sometimes in the middle of the ocean, it still won't pick up a signal. I went on a cruise without my SO and I was able to text him up until we left the port. Then I was able to text him once we landed in port to let him know I was safe and back and how much I missed him While I was on the ship and missing him, I wrote him a letter of all the things I was doing and how beautiful the ocean was in the Caribbean, and if I'd tried something new at dinner or if the people I went with were acting crazy. That way, I felt like I was keeping him posted and then I sent it to him when I got back home.

Yes, you will miss him and wish he was there, but there's usually so much to do and see that you won't have time to dwell on it. Carnival is the "fun" cruise line and they always have something happening on board My suggestion - don't miss the hairy men's chest competition - you will laugh your butt off

Haha wonderful advice! I like the idea of writing him letters just to "keep him posted" on what I'm doing. That will give me a sense of communication. I'm very excited, and I'm sure I won't dwell on it too much, but it will be different. We are in constant contact. (But it might be nice to have a break!)

Comment

Carnival has WIFI so if you have a smart phone you can connect to their internet. If not they have an area designated for internet use that usually has a fax, photocopier etc... Think luxury hotel on the water!

I'm not sure if writing letters will be a practical way of communication. Depending on when you ship first docks you letters may only get to him AFTER you've returned. As I'm guessing your traveling for a day or two straight and then have two over night times and then you travel back by straight sailing. I'd say if its worth it to you just pay the money to log onto your email and send off a few quick emails but to be honest I doubt you'll be bored. There's so much to do, so much to explore and that's just on the ship once you get off you'll probably be preoccupied!

Comment

Originally posted by digitalfever View Post
              Carnival has WIFI so if you have a smart phone you can connect to their internet. If not they have an area designated for internet use that usually has a fax, photocopier etc... Think luxury hotel on the water!

I'm not sure if writing letters will be a practical way of communication. Depending on when you ship first docks you letters may only get to him AFTER you've returned. As I'm guessing your traveling for a day or two straight and then have two over night times and then you travel back by straight sailing. I'd say if its worth it to you just pay the money to log onto your email and send off a few quick emails but to be honest I doubt you'll be bored. There's so much to do, so much to explore and that's just on the ship once you get off you'll probably be preoccupied!
              Oh I didn't mean mailing him letters, just keeping like a journal for him to read when we are together once my cruise is over.

Comment

Originally posted by rach92g View Post
                Oh I didn't mean mailing him letters, just keeping like a journal for him to read when we are together once my cruise is over.
                Ooooh I get it now. That'll be cool.

Comment

Working...
                X