First time flying alone!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time flying alone!!

I'm leaving for London on friday! Doe anyone have tips? I'll be with American Airlines, and will onl be checking one bag. Eeeeek I'm so nervous. I've never flown internationally, never flown alone, and I've only been on a plane once ever.

You'll be fine! EU to USA is easy peasy pumpkin pie. Bring some snacks with you for the plane (I like to bring something salty and something sweet) and an EMPTY water bottle you can fill up once you get passed security. Bring a few USD just in case.

Have funnnnn

Comment

FUN FUN FUN !!! I looooooooooooove flying!! Bring gum for your ears! (Ok, that sounds weird, but you know what I mean rigth? ) And these days (I sound old) every seat has a screen where you can watch movies, listen to radio, see shows and stuff.

When I went from Amsterdam to Washington DC I saw 3 movies and a couple of shows
      Last edited by Manoek; April 23, 2012, 10:05 AM.
      \\ Someday everything will all make perfect sense. So for now, laugh at the confusion, smile through the tears, and keep reminding yourself that everything //
      \\ happens for a reason //

\\ We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing //

\\ When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” //
      \\They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, I told them they didn’t understand life!! //

Comment

Even if my plane doesn't have entertainment I can always bring my own on my computer. C: And yeah, I'll put gum on my shopping list.

Lucy, I think you got it backwards. Cx I'm going TO london, not to the usa. Rofl. Well, I guess I will be afterwards. Thanks though!

I don't know what to do about keeping contact with my SO? What if he isn't there waiting when I land? I can't exactly use my phone, and wifi would cost.

Comment

Originally posted by Amatory View Post
          I don't know what to do about keeping contact with my SO? What if he isn't there waiting when I land? I can't exactly use my phone, and wifi would cost.
          You should be able to use your phone, texting is probably the best way. My SO wasn't actually there when he picked me up -__-

And you can connect your phone or laptop to the wifi at the airport.
          \\ Someday everything will all make perfect sense. So for now, laugh at the confusion, smile through the tears, and keep reminding yourself that everything //

\\ We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing //

\\ When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” //
          \\They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, I told them they didn’t understand life!! //

Comment

Using my phone would cost sooo much, and same with wifi, I think. But yeah we did decide to do that in case of emergency. ._.

Comment

Using my phone would cost sooo much, and same with wifi, I think. But yeah we did decide to do that in case of emergency. ._.
              Texting, I believe, is around 25 cents a text. But you can probably google it better then me with your phone provider and all. You should be able to find each other within 3 text messages

There is free wifi at the airport that you can connect to, so it wont cost you anything.

Comment

If you had to send one text it would cost like $3 max. I'm sure he isn't going to miss you getting off the plane anyway

Comment

Depending on your service provider, you won't be able to use it. I have AT&T and had to bring my phone so that I could be picked up from the airport going home, but I don't get a signal/any service when leaving the country. For that I'd have to pay to turn on international roaming or summat. :P My ex's brother also bought and activated his phone in the U.S. with AT&T as he originally was living and teaching in Los Angeles, but when he came back to the UK, he also had the same problem. I am not sure if you can connect with WiFi. I couldn't/didn't notice I could, but I also didn't try.

That said, when I arrived in Heathrow and couldn't find my ex (he was late), I tried calling using an airport phone but he didn't answer, so I went to go to the bathroom and then heard my name over the intercom. :P So even if both of you can't get in touch with your phones, you can announce each other's names over the intercom/ask someone to do it for you. That said, I would say don't wander beyond the terminal. If you hang out in the seating area or if you hang out simply off to the side, you'll still be in the general area and where he'll more than likely approach to wait.

Heathrow is a big airport but it's not complicated. Simply stay put where you land and you should be fine. Flying San Francisco to London was probably the easiest flight I've ever done, and it was also the first time I flew alone, so you should be fine.
                  { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
                  Met online: February 2009
                  Feelings confessed: December 2010
                  Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
                  Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
                  First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
                  Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
                  Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
                  Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After
                  to be continued...

Comment

Re: contacting your SO

Find a payphone! I promise they still exist. I only have a phone that works (barely) in Costa Rica and when I leave and I need to call my ride, I find a payphone. In Ft Lauderdale, they were complementary!

Comment

I don't really have much else to add other than Heathrow is massive D: But usually following others help You'll be fine!

I also wanted to say that I hope you have a wonderful time together! So exciting!

Comment

I'm leaving for London on friday! Doe anyone have tips? I'll be with American Airlines, and will onl be checking one bag. Eeeeek I'm so nervous. I've never flown internationally, never flown alone, and I've only been on a plane once ever.
                        So how did your flight go?

Comment

Working...
                        X