Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The evil graduate school distance has been closed :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The evil graduate school distance has been closed :)

Hi Everyone,

Well after 2 years, I finally traveled the distance one more time and brought my fiance back with me. We have now lived without the distance for 3 days and I am very amazed that the time has finally come.

We met back in high school (I know kinda cheesy) and thought we would be encountering long distance much sooner. After only 3 months of dating, I thought I would be going to undergrad school about 2 hours away from him. It wasn't too far except that I didn't have a car and his car was sooo old and we didn't have any money. I spent all summer crying about the impending move. Then in a bit of a miracle move my top-choice school where we both lived took me in off the waiting list. I don't know if we would have survived LDR with a background of three months. I like to think that whoever took me in from admissions may have saved this relationship.

Anyway we spent four years in the same city and my SO eventually transferred into my school with me. Then came graduation... Being the success that he is, he had a great job lined up before he graduated in Washington D.C. So natuarally I panicked and job searched like crazy. I was very lucky to find something with both a paycheck and something that I thought would boost my resume to get into graduate school. The year we lived together in D.C. was so wonderful, we were very isloated and lived in a little bubble since we didn't know anyone out in a big city. But neither of us were content, we both wanted to go back to grad school.

We were relatively selfish back then and we both applied only to our dream schools, we figured out pretty fast that only one school (that we would both need to get into) would allow us to still live together. Well we both got into schools on opposite sides of the state and literally didn't think much of the distance, but maybe it was better that I didn't have an accurate fear of the upcoming time apart.

I still remember unpacking my new apartment alone and dreaming of the day I could graduate. I had to hold back my tears the first time I had to grocery shop alone. I filled my weekends with silly errands hoping to avoid my lonely apartment that just made me want to cry constantly. On his first visit as we went out to dinner, I had to keep telling myself to slow down time as he would be gone in 24 hours.

Things eventually got better as we both formed little worlds away from one another full of jobs and school and friends. We saw one another fairly often but only for 48 hours or so. His nights out were the worst for me as I was so jealous that I could not be there. Everything we used to do together was gone.

After packing up his apartment and selling our double set of furniture, I still cannot believe we are done with it. At this point I am job searching like crazy so I can move back with him when he has to leave in August. For now, we are in my apartment and slowly we will begin to pack up to move at the end of the summer. It still feels like he will have to leave at any moment to go back to school and I will head back to the grocery store alone.

As soon as I can secure a permanent job, we will begin wedding planning and I think on that day as well I will still be shocked that we finished the long distance. For all those out there still waiting, the payoff is wonderful if you can make it through, but it is still not something I would wish on my worse enemy

Oh my your story made me want to cry. Congratulations. You have given me hope.

Comment

Thanks for posting your story. It really gave me hope seeing as I'm currently a grad student and my boyfriend and I see each other about 48 hours at a time too. Just hearing someone else say the payoff is great and reminds me that my time will come. Congrats on closing the distance and good luck in the job search!

Comment

That is awesome! What a lovely story . Congrats!

Comment

Oh my gosh I am crying I am in a very similar situation and its so nice to read about someone who went through something similar!

Comment

Working...
          X