First Time Flying Alone Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Time Flying Alone Questions

Okay so the past two times that my SO has visited he has flown to me so recently I suggested that I fly out to him, I've always loved flying even though I've only been a couple of times and I hate this Arizona heat so it would be nice to visit New York for a couple of days. :P

Anyway my SO would have to be the one to buy the ticket for me because I don't own a credit card so here's my question, how exactly would I go about getting my boarding pass if he's the one who pays for it? Could he email it to me so that I can print it out from home or is there some other way of doing it? I'm totally clueless about all this stuff and everywhere I've looked online says I need the credit card used to purchase the ticket with me as proof. :/

Notes:
    Met: 8.17.09
    Started Dating: 8.20.09
    First Met: 10.2.10
    Closed the Distance: 8.9.14

They say that bit about the credit card but I have honestly never been asked for it.

Typically what happens nowadays is you buy it online and are e-mailed your tickets. This ticket contains a barcode, which you scan at a kiosk and your boarding passes are printed. I think in some cases you have to enter your confirmation number (which can be e-mailed to you), which may take place of the credit card. Either way, though, there's a separate section for billing information than there is for passenger information, so he'd put your information in for the passenger and his name on the credit card. You should be fine so long as you have your printed tickets and confirmation number, though. You'd print both out at home. He can even enter your e-mail as opposed to his and some sites allow you to put two e-mails, so you can both have copies of the receipt, tickets, etc.
    { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
    Met online: February 2009
    Feelings confessed: December 2010
    Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
    Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
    First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
    Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
    Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
    Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After
    to be continued...

Comment

Yep, what Eclaire said.

When he purchases the tickets, he can just fill out all the info as if he were you - use your name, address, email, etc (except he'll use his own name for the credit card info, of course). Just print out the confirmation email, with the barcode, reservation #, etc. and bring it to the airport with you. As long as you have the confirmation number and a picture ID, just in case they want to check that it's really you, you'll be fine.

The self-check-in kiosks at most airports usually allow you to use your credit card as one way to confirm your identity when you're checking in, which I think is the main reason they say you need it. But again, as long as you have your confirmation number, you'll be fine. I've flown on tickets purchased by my parents or other people plenty of times, and never had a problem.

I remember the first time I flew alone, in high school - I felt so independent!

Comment

You'll be fine. As the other 2 fine ladies have said, just get your BF to forward you the invoice he will receive once he has paid for the tickets. Print out the e-ticket and make note of the booking/confirmation number!

Comment

Thanks guys you're all a huge help Now I just have to convince him to let me go to him this time around.

Notes:
          Met: 8.17.09
          Started Dating: 8.20.09
          First Met: 10.2.10
          Closed the Distance: 8.9.14

Comment

Working...
          X