Going to Argentina - any tips? :D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going to Argentina - any tips? :D

So, I'll be going over to my SO in Argentina in 3 months, but I thought I'd be out looking for advice in advance It will be my first time flying over there, and on top of that it will be my first time flying alone as well. I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips on things I can/cannot bring into the country (food, for instance), if there's something I should be aware of... General stuff that could be of help! So, any advice is more than welcome

Met online: February 2011
    Met the first time: August 16, 2011

Generally, fruit and other foods that might spoil are a bad idea. You can bring some packaged snack foods, but produce (fruits and vegetables) especially is bad because it can often carry native bacteria or insects that they don't want moving across borders. Pack any beverages in your checked bag (if you're checking one), and make sure they're sealed and protected in the case that they get bumped around a lot (which they will).

Since you speak English, you should be perfectly fine navigating the airports. Central and South American airports have most of their signs in both English and Spanish, so you should be good to go. If you're flying a Central/South American airline, you might not understand what they're saying half the time when they announce things like connections (I sure didn't, and I'm a native English speaker), so just ask one of the flight attendants directly or wait until you get into your connecting airport to ask an attendant there.

One of the things I did to make myself feel better on my first international flight alone was that I researched the airports I would be flying into and wrote down any information I might need or want on the back of my itinerary, like "free wifi near gate 17" and how many gates the airport has, total, so that I have an idea of how big it is. It helped me feel like I knew where I was going. I also ran into a small issue where the boarding pass they handed me had a different gate listed than what the screens with all the flight information on them said. Always go with what the screen says, and check them every once in a while to make sure you're at the right gate.
    Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
    Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
    Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

Fly TACA, they give you good food on the plane

Drink some mate and vino for me!

Comment

Thank you so much for the tips, they saved me a lot of time doing mindless research online! And I'm feeling a lot better about going on my own now, I've checked up the airports and everything so it shouldn't be a problem, plus I'm going to have like 4-5 hours worth of stop-over so I'll have plenty of time to find my way around as well Not to worry, lucybelle, I'll drink until I explode!

Comment

Hehehe, I flew TACA and the food was good. :3 No personal screens or anything, though, so your entertainment is mostly up to you. They do show in-flight movies, but they were in Spanish...
          Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
          Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
          Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

Originally posted by kittyo9 View Post
            Hehehe, I flew TACA and the food was good. :3 No personal screens or anything, though, so your entertainment is mostly up to you. They do show in-flight movies, but they were in Spanish...
            Yeah I flew on two TACA flights in a row and they BOTH showed Twilight.

Comment

Seems like I should fly TACA if I do fly then! Unfortunately won't fly most likely, I'll take a 24 hour bus-ride from Buenos Aires to where my SO lives, and the same when coming back to Sweden... Though we are discussing the possibility of flying, so I'll definitely check out if TACA flies that route!

Comment

Originally posted by Alle1770 View Post
                Seems like I should fly TACA if I do fly then! Unfortunately won't fly most likely, I'll take a 24 hour bus-ride from Buenos Aires to where my SO lives, and the same when coming back to Sweden... Though we are discussing the possibility of flying, so I'll definitely check out if TACA flies that route!
                I must not be understanding something. You're planning on taking a BUS from Sweden to Buenos Aires??????

I'm pretty sure Taca doesn't fly in Europe. Just Central, South and a little bit in North America.

Comment

Hi! so cool you are coming to Argentina! My advice is that you should hire a lift to the bus station in the airport, tell them exactly were you go (I guess your bus might leave from Retiro Station), since the Retiro area is not very safe. The best company that does that is Manuel Tienda Leon, you'll find them at Ezeiza. Cheap and safe Enjoy your stay here! And feel free to send me a message if you have any doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by lucybelle View Post
                    I must not be understanding something. You're planning on taking a BUS from Sweden to Buenos Aires??????

I'm pretty sure Taca doesn't fly in Europe. Just Central, South and a little bit in North America.
                    Haha, ooops! Might have been writing that post a bit too quickly, it made sense in my head but now I realize it doesn't xD I meant that I'm flying from Sweden to Buenos Aires, and then I'm taking the bus with my SO from Buenos Aires to the place where he lives (close to the Andes) which takes 24 hours when I get there, and then the same routine when I'm supposed to go back to the airport in Buenos Aires to go home However, we are discussing the possibility of flying from Buenos Aires to his city instead of taking the bus, so I'll check out if TACA flies that route!

Hope it makes more sense now, I must've not really been thinking straight when I wrote it xD

Comment

I heard that Argentina has beautiful street art! You should take pictures!
                      Love knows not distance, time, or logic.

Evan & Megan <3

Comment

And thanks Tamy1987! Really looking forward to going, I'm already making a packing list in my head, haha! Thank you so much for your tips, I've been told Retiro is a place to be extra careful in so thanks for confirming it Got any general tips on what to do/see or not do in BsAs? I'll be staying there for about a week with my SO before travelling to his town

Comment

Originally posted by meganpillow View Post
                          I heard that Argentina has beautiful street art! You should take pictures!
                          Oh I definitely will, photography is one of my main hobbies and I'm most likely uploading them here and on my Facebook once I get back!

Comment

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand tickets are booked!! :O Leaving on the 11th of December, I'm so excited!!

Comment

Wooooo

Work on your espanol! Espanol es muy buena!

Comment

Working...
                              X