No announcement yet.

Going to Argentina - any tips? :D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm Argentinean but I moved to the states when I was a baby. Just so you know, in Argentina our Spanish is a....bit different from other countries that speak Spanish :P For one thing, when we speak, we have an accent that Argentineans are known for. xD Our y's make an sh sound. So words like yo, or even pollo (the double ll's make the y sound) are actually pronounced "sho" for yo, or "posho" for pollo. Lol growing up, people ALWAYS asked me to say the word pollo in Spanish! Otherwise, Argentina is a beautiful country! Stay safe!!! Suerte. Drink mate, eat ALFAJORES (omgosh. <3 No lie, alfajores are like, my favorite food ever.) gnocchi's, and of course, a trip to Argentina would be incomplete without an asado!!!

Comment

OH MY GOD, my SO brings alfajores every time he comes over, IT'S THE BEST THING EVER I shall bring home a load of it when I come back home xD Oh, and I am seriously in love with the Spanish... Thing is, I've studied Spanish for 6 years ("ordinary" Spanish, that is), and then I met my SO... And for the past couple of months, I'm not speaking "proper" Spanish anymore! My teacher is even fed up with me because I'm not speaking the way she wants me to, haha! So yes, hopefully will learn even more of it when I go over, I'll report back to you Tooki about how it goes!
      My SO has also promised me that he'll buy an entire lamb and have an asado... I'm a bit freaked out, because we don't usually eat hearts, livers, brains and all that stuff, but hell, it's an experience! Thanks for the tips everyone, again! I shall report back here when I get back

Met online: February 2011
      Met the first time: August 16, 2011

Comment

Congrats on coming to Argentina Alle1770!

I am from New York City and I met my Partner 2 years ago while I was living in Buenos Aires. This is my 3rd time back to Buenos Aires, I have been here for several months and it's great.

Firstly. Argentina's economy is pretty bad and I would consider bringing some extra EURO's with you because the Argentine Peso is getting weaker and weaker. I would definitely talk to your boyfriend about this. Since I have been here, couple of months, the peso has gone from 5.89 to 6.36 for US$1.

Think about your favorite comfort food and consider bringing it. If you have a restricted diet, gluten-free, it will be more expensive here. Any electronics you may need, buy them in Sweden. All electronics are expensive, from USB pen drives to printers and laptops.

Call for a radio taxi to pickup you up at the airport and take you to your hotel in Buenos Aires. They cost ~200 ARS pesos but they are much quicker and simpler than buses. If you need suggestions I use premium.

Don't be fooled, Castellano is proper Spanish! Everybody, who is a native Spanish speaker, comments on how perfect her Spanish is and that it is the "real" Spanish.

I also recommend you signup for any frequent flyer program that your airline belongs to, airline travel is my specialty, and earn some free trips to Argentina in the future.

Good Luck on Closing the Gap.

Comment

Hey fellow Scandinavian! Both our countries and our SO's countries are right next to each other..haha

You should definitively report back with some good tips when you return! My SO is in Brazil, but we are planning on taking a trip to Argentina sometime soon...

Comment

Originally posted by BXtoBA View Post
            Congrats on coming to Argentina Alle1770!

I am from New York City and I met my Partner 2 years ago while I was living in Buenos Aires. This is my 3rd time back to Buenos Aires, I have been here for several months and it's great.

Firstly. Argentina's economy is pretty bad and I would consider bringing some extra EURO's with you because the Argentine Peso is getting weaker and weaker. I would definitely talk to your boyfriend about this. Since I have been here, couple of months, the peso has gone from 5.89 to 6.36 for US$1.

Think about your favorite comfort food and consider bringing it. If you have a restricted diet, gluten-free, it will be more expensive here. Any electronics you may need, buy them in Sweden. All electronics are expensive, from USB pen drives to printers and laptops.

Call for a radio taxi to pickup you up at the airport and take you to your hotel in Buenos Aires. They cost ~200 ARS pesos but they are much quicker and simpler than buses. If you need suggestions I use premium.

Don't be fooled, Castellano is proper Spanish! Everybody, who is a native Spanish speaker, comments on how perfect her Spanish is and that it is the "real" Spanish.

I also recommend you signup for any frequent flyer program that your airline belongs to, airline travel is my specialty, and earn some free trips to Argentina in the future.

Good Luck on Closing the Gap.
            Thanks a lot BXtoBA! Those are great tips, I hadn't really thought of the frequent flyer programme until now! I shall definitely have a look into that Thankfully, my boyfriend has family that lives in Bayres, so he'll pick me up at the airport and we'll stay at his cousins, however I will need to take a cab when going back home in January, between Jorge Newbery airport and Ezeiza, ... Radio Taxi are the ones that are most reliable, right? The spanish was a huge problem for me when we first met, because I wouldn't understand anything, but now that I've gotten used to it it works fine, and I even think it sounds better than "proper" spanish! So thanks for the tips, once more

Comment

Originally posted by Reglisse View Post
              Hey fellow Scandinavian! Both our countries and our SO's countries are right next to each other..haha

You should definitively report back with some good tips when you return! My SO is in Brazil, but we are planning on taking a trip to Argentina sometime soon...
              Hej! Hahaha, what are the odds of that, ey? I was thinking about writing this in Swedish but figured it would be a bit mean to everyone else, haha xD I definitely will, promise! I've added you as a friend, I could message you as well if there's anything you want to know when I get back That sounds awesome I must say! Me and my SO are thinking about going to Brazil, haha! Maybe we'll meet on the border

Comment

Originally posted by Alle1770 View Post
                Thanks a lot BXtoBA! Those are great tips, I hadn't really thought of the frequent flyer programme until now! I shall definitely have a look into that Thankfully, my boyfriend has family that lives in Bayres, so he'll pick me up at the airport and we'll stay at his cousins, however I will need to take a cab when going back home in January, between Jorge Newbery airport and Ezeiza, ... Radio Taxi are the ones that are most reliable, right? The spanish was a huge problem for me when we first met, because I wouldn't understand anything, but now that I've gotten used to it it works fine, and I even think it sounds better than "proper" spanish! So thanks for the tips, once more
                I'm glad I could help.

Radio taxi's are the most reliable. They all have phone numbers and a taxi company name on their backseat passenger doors. As a general rule stay away from cabs that don't have phone numbers on their doors and you should be able to avoid any bad taxis.

For me the Rioplatenese is a very nice version of Spanish and Argentine Government did a study that claimed the intonation of Spanish in Buenos Aires closely resembles Italian dialects. So maybe that is what you are picking up?

Also if you have a smart phone, or sentimental jewelry, you might want to leave it in Sweden or not use it while walking around too much. Buenos Aires has its fair share of pickpockets and robbers so you don't want to catch their attention. You will notice most woman guard their purses with two hands when on buses, subte or walking in the street as extra precaution.

I was wondering what airline you are flying with and remember that you booking code is important to know because it tells you how many frequent flyer miles you could earn.

Comment

Hej! Hahaha, what are the odds of that, ey? I was thinking about writing this in Swedish but figured it would be a bit mean to everyone else, haha xD I definitely will, promise! I've added you as a friend, I could message you as well if there's anything you want to know when I get back That sounds awesome I must say! Me and my SO are thinking about going to Brazil, haha! Maybe we'll meet on the border
                  Hahaha yes we could do a border double date!! Yea I guess English is best here, but it's nice to know I'm not the only Scandinavian here. Anyway, sounds great! I'd love to get some hot inside tips about Argentina traveling, and if you guys ever do go to Brazil I'll be happy to give you some tips too I'm actually going to Brazil at the end of December/beginning of January too, so we'll actually be on the continent at the same time.. very synchronized.. haha

Comment

Originally posted by BXtoBA View Post
                    I'm glad I could help.

Radio taxi's are the most reliable. They all have phone numbers and a taxi company name on their backseat passenger doors. As a general rule stay away from cabs that don't have phone numbers on their doors and you should be able to avoid any bad taxis.

For me the Rioplatenese is a very nice version of Spanish and Argentine Government did a study that claimed the intonation of Spanish in Buenos Aires closely resembles Italian dialects. So maybe that is what you are picking up?

Also if you have a smart phone, or sentimental jewelry, you might want to leave it in Sweden or not use it while walking around too much. Buenos Aires has its fair share of pickpockets and robbers so you don't want to catch their attention. You will notice most woman guard their purses with two hands when on buses, subte or walking in the street as extra precaution.

I was wondering what airline you are flying with and remember that you booking code is important to know because it tells you how many frequent flyer miles you could earn.
                    Yeah, I've heard that you should avoid those taxis so I'll make my best to do so My SO is sort of terrified for leaving me to fend for myself in BsAs though, he lived there for a couple of years in college and got robbed 4 times, and recently someone was shot dead outside his cousins apartment when he was staying there so I'm a bit nervous about it myself as well, but hopefully it won't be a problem since I will only have to go from one airport to the other and in the middle of the day, and not have to go through Retiro or something

That could maybe be it, yeah! I have no idea, I just think it sounds really nice!

This is my first time flying over there, but I know that I will probably use different airlines over the time until we close the distance because a lot of it depends on which one is the cheapest one to fly with at the moment, haha But my SO has mostly flown Iberia/British Airways and I'm doing the same, so that's probably what we might have best use of! Thanks again for the tip on frequent flyer miles, I will have more of a look into it!

Comment

Hahaha yes we could do a border double date!! Yea I guess English is best here, but it's nice to know I'm not the only Scandinavian here. Anyway, sounds great! I'd love to get some hot inside tips about Argentina traveling, and if you guys ever do go to Brazil I'll be happy to give you some tips too I'm actually going to Brazil at the end of December/beginning of January too, so we'll actually be on the continent at the same time.. very synchronized.. haha
                      Hahahaha it's a deal! Meet you at the Iguazu Falls somewhere ;D xD That sounds brilliant, I'll get back to you with everything I might learn/get to know! And, I'll keep you posted if/when we go to Brazil, we're thinking about maybe trying to get tickets for the World Cup in soccer in 2014 that's there, it would be great! Oh geez, you are?? That's even more awesome! What company will you be flying with?

Comment

Hahahaha it's a deal! Meet you at the Iguazu Falls somewhere ;D xD That sounds brilliant, I'll get back to you with everything I might learn/get to know! And, I'll keep you posted if/when we go to Brazil, we're thinking about maybe trying to get tickets for the World Cup in soccer in 2014 that's there, it would be great! Oh geez, you are?? That's even more awesome! What company will you be flying with?
                        Hahaha, we're actually totally planning on going to Iguazu Falls sometime after Christmas.. I sure am, I'm doing the last semester of my bachelor degree at the university of São Paulo, so moving in with my Brazilian and staying for at least 6-7 months (Hurra!! ). I didn't get the tickets yet, had to wait to get officially accepted at the university (which happened TODAY!), but Air France seams cheapest right now..

You guys should absolutely come for the world cup, hopefully I'll be living there then...

Comment

Hahaha, we're actually totally planning on going to Iguazu Falls sometime after Christmas.. I sure am, I'm doing the last semester of my bachelor degree at the university of São Paulo, so moving in with my Brazilian and staying for at least 6-7 months (Hurra!! ). I didn't get the tickets yet, had to wait to get officially accepted at the university (which happened TODAY!), but Air France seams cheapest right now..

You guys should absolutely come for the world cup, hopefully I'll be living there then...
                          Oh really? That's awesome! I bet you'll have a great time doing your degree, I envy youuu! I've never flown Air France actually, and this time around I'm flying Iberia/British Airways... I was lucky though, apparently Iberia is planning a strike on the 13th! I had a minor heart attack when reading that but thankfully it's after I'm going xD 3 days left now!

I'll give you a heads up if we do!

Comment

Just got backkkkkkk! SO nice to be home after 3 days of almost constant travelling, however I miss my SO more than anything... But even so, god... I've had the trip of my life! Seriously, I've had so much fun and done so many cool and insane things, like climbing a mountain (7 hours of climbing. Holy crap. But the view... God, the view!) and swimming in rivers, watching volcanoes and thousand year old trees, had our car breaking down in the middle of nowhere, being robbed (not personally, but his house, they cleaned it of all the computers and stuff but thankfully I had my important things with me at the time), watching the stars for hours on the beach, camping... I just had a great time, and I honestly cannot wait to get back. I just fell in love with the country, the cities, the people and the atmosphere... I'll be going soon enough again! If anyone is interested in pictures, you can just add me on Facebook (send me a message and tell me you're from here), they're all there Thanks for all your tips, they really helped, and once again the LFAD forum is awesome at giving advice!

Comment

What about the wine???!!!

Comment

THE WINE!!! It was just absolutely awesome, and I don't even like wine! :O xD And don't even get me started on the homemade beers of Patagonia... The raspberry beer is just heaven, I wish I could have brought some home xD

Comment

Working...
                                X