Greetings from LDR veteran of 10+ years in Michigan, USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings from LDR veteran of 10+ years in Michigan, USA

I'm in MI USA and my SO is in UK. We've been in a LDR for nearly 11 years because of the distance and our children. Oldest of our kids (mine) is finally off to college and I will move to be with my SO in 2-5 years.

I hope to connect with others in LDR's as long as mine and provide any insight for those in a new LDR.
    Looking forward to meeting you!
    Kimberly J
    https://kimberlyandvernon.blogspot.com/

Wow 11 years. That's a loooooong time. You two must be so strong. Welcome to LFAD =D Everybody here is really great. It'll be nice to have your experience and advice too. =)

Comment

Welcome to LFAD! I'm from Michigan as well!!!
      [CENTER]"To truly love something, you must first give it a chance to fail. If it survives, it is going to be stronger than ever. Distance is pure proof of this, and forever we will love if we survive."

Comment

Welcome to LFAD!
        10+ years apart... Wow!

OMG... I just realized you are following my shared blog
        May I link our blogs together?
        Last edited by archangel; July 11, 2010, 08:19 PM.
        "Distance between two hearts is not an obstacle...rather a beautiful reminder of just how strong true love can be." ~ Anonymous
        "Since love grows within you, so beauty grows. For love is the beauty of the soul." ~ St. Augustine
        "True love is rare, so when you find it don't let it go just because of a barrier you can't cross". ~ Ray H Wall

Chris and Megan - November 3rd 2009- (Break from June 15- )July 18th 2011.

Comment

I could not imagine being in an LDR for over 10 YEARS. you have strength beyond that of which I ever could. you're an inspiration to all of us and your experience and advice will surely be welcome! welcome to the community

Comment

11 years, wow. As others have said... I don't think I would want to go through that! It's already hard enough as it is.

Comment

Hello archangel, yes, feel free to link the blogs. I enjoy following your blog.
              Kimberly J

Comment

Welcome, so glad you are here, I'm new here as well. I have tons of questions and would love to hear your insights into an international LDR long term because it's exactly what I'm facing as there are children involved on both sides.

Comment

Nice to meet you guys! You are all very sweet, I've done nothing that you all can't do, although I don't wish it on anyone. It's been tough, and it's been wonderful. What makes it easy is that we made this decision for our kids' benefit and it helps that we are not just in a relationship, we are each others best friend. I think this time apart will cause us to appreciate our time together once we end the distance. If I could go back and change anything, I wouldn't. Looking forward to reading all the blogs and forum posts!
                  Kimberly J

Comment

Wow a 11 years, I thought my 6 was hard, noway could I do longer than I have. I'm happy that were closing the gap real soon. Welcome
                    Last edited by USA2Canada; July 11, 2010, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Wow, congratulations on the strength of your relationship. That is amazing. I hope my relationship doesn't reach 11 years before being together, but seeing that it's possible gives hope. Welcome to LFAD!
                      First conversation 11.5.09 First meeting 11.7.10 Closed the distance 5.14.14 Married 6.14.14

https://lovingfrom5000miles.blogspot.com/

Comment

Welcome to LFAD!

11 years, just wow. You're probably the strongest person ever!

Comment

Wow, Wow, Wow...all i have to say is reading just what you posted here is inspiration! Good grief, i am having a hard time with it being almost 2 years since I met my bf. I feel ashamed now.

Welcome here, this place is great.

Comment

So i have a quick question....how often do you guys see each other?

Comment

Originally posted by agentholli View Post
                              So i have a quick question....how often do you guys see each other?
                              OMG! So sorry it took me so long to see this post! I was new to the forum and now that I've been on here for a while I'm getting to know my way around. We met in person for the first time after emailing and chatting for 2 years. Then we saw each other every year for two weeks at a time (except for the most recent visit which was one week long). Until one year we couldn't make it, and that turned into over 4 years without seeing each other. Our kids are the same age and were going through those crucial teen years which distracted us from the fact that he hadn't seen each other in so long. We promised to never do that again and our next visit was in October 2008. In our 11 years together Vern has made it out here 3 times and I have made it there 3 times. So, over the last 11 years, we have actually been together, on the same continent, a total of 11 weeks. That's about 1 week per year. Wow! And I feel we communicate better than most married couples. Last visit was Christmas 2009, next trip planned will be Spring 2011 and we have a wedding we have been invited to for Spring 2012. I hope to see you around the forums!
                              Kimberly J

Comment

Working...
                              X