Going through Customs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going through Customs.

I'm visiting my SO in America for the first time next week (the 19th!) and I'm absolutely terrified about going through customs.
    It's a pretty last minute trip, I only booked my flights 2 days ago.

My main worry is that I HATE CARRYING CASH. I know it sounds ridiculous but I'm pretty sure i'd have an 8 hour panic attack if I had to carry like $1,500 (how much I have budgeted for) on my person.
    Will they find it sketch if I turn up with no cash?!
    I watch way too much Passport Patrol and Border Force and am probably over reacting a tad... Will they also think it's sketch that I don't have a hotel booked?! I mean I'm staying at my boyfriends house, not that he's ever had a problem with customs when he's come to stay with me....
    I'm just worried that I've not given myself enough time to plan this all out, and I don't want to be turned away for something like having no cash on me... haha
    I'm so scared!
    First met by chance in London 2nd June 2012
    Started LDR 24th July 2012
    James' 1st trip to visit Klaire September 29th-October 31st 2012
    James' 2nd trip to visit Klaire November 17th-November 19th 2012
    Klaires' first trip to visit James November 19th 2012-January 13th 2013

I think that you would have to be worried if you were carrying too much cash. But no cash? I don't see why that's a problem. Although, if I were you, I would take some cash, like $50, just in case you need cash before you have a chance to get to the ATM or just in case there is a problem with your credit card.

Comment

Probably not wise watching those border/passport control programmes, especially when your due to fly over. Regarding the cash, I never carry more than $100 on me, I always use my debit card to purchase things abroad & I've never been asked by the border staff to prove how much money I have to cover my trip, even when I went over for three months. You will have to provide an address where you'll be staying in the states, firstly on the forms they give you on the plane plus you should have had to enter these details when you applied for the ESTA online. People's views on here differ but I wouldn't tell border control that your staying with your boyfriend, just gives them more reason to question you....

Started Writing - February 2010
      First Visit - September 2010
      Second Visit - June 2011
      Third Visit & His Release Date - February 2012
      Our Wedding Day - April 2012
      Submitted I-130 Visa Application - July 2012
      NOA1 - July 2012
      NOA2 - December 2012
      Fourth Visit - December 2012
      Closing The Distance - Watch this space

Comment

I wouldn't tell them that you are there to see your boyfriend.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldblighty View Post
          Probably not wise watching those border/passport control programmes, especially when your due to fly over. Regarding the cash, I never carry more than $100 on me, I always use my debit card to purchase things abroad & I've never been asked by the border staff to prove how much money I have to cover my trip, even when I went over for three months. You will have to provide an address where you'll be staying in the states, firstly on the forms they give you on the plane plus you should have had to enter these details when you applied for the ESTA online. People's views on here differ but I wouldn't tell border control that your staying with your boyfriend, just gives them more reason to question you....
          All of the above.

I know you don't like carrying cash, but from a practical standpoint, you really should bring some cash with you-- at least $20 USD value. It's "just in case" money, for if you get hungry while you're stuck somewhere or have to take a taxi somewhere for whatever reason.
          Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
          Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
          Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

I'd also bring a little bit of cash. For example I found out I couldn't take money out with my debit card and they charged me quite a few dollars for credit. I would have had to talk to the bank first for some reason... You never know.
            I wouldn't lie to the officers but don't give more information than you need to if they ask who you're visiting I would tell the truth but if not my answer is always "here on vacation". Sometimes it is enough but sometimes I have to specify and then I told the truth and I was fine

Comment

Thank you guys! I feel a bit calmer

I don't know why, but I was really freaking out about the cash thing. I will carry a little bit, just for emergencies & stuff.
              I'm not doing anything sketch, I have a return flight and I bloody plan on getting on it, but I'm so worried that they are going to turn me away! It's my first time leaving Europe, and my first time flying alone.

I think Pick TV & the border programs are gonna be banned from my house for the next week, now! haha

Comment

Originally posted by KlaireDelilah View Post
                Thank you guys! I feel a bit calmer

I don't know why, but I was really freaking out about the cash thing. I will carry a little bit, just for emergencies & stuff.
                I'm not doing anything sketch, I have a return flight and I bloody plan on getting on it, but I'm so worried that they are going to turn me away! It's my first time leaving Europe, and my first time flying alone.

I think Pick TV & the border programs are gonna be banned from my house for the next week, now! haha
                Why would they turn you away? It's your first time visiting the states, you have a return flight, money and an address that you'll be staying at during your visit. I presume you have entered these details on the ESTA webiste when you applied for the visa online? When the custom officer asks where your staying just don't give too many details over. You will have your fingerprints & photograph taken, don't worry about this it's just a formality. Be polite and you'll be absolutely fine.

Second Visit - June 2011
                NOA1 - July 2012
                NOA2 - December 2012

Comment

There is no reason why I would be turned away! I have no convictions, I've never been arrested, I have a squeaky clean CRB - I'm a pretty legit gal, I'm just a worrier! haha
                  I have entered everything into the ESTA website, it took me about an hour to make sure I'd read every single word on the application and everything was correct.

Woah, fingerprints! Thank you for telling me that - I probably would have freaked out if they tried to take my fingerprints and I didn't know why.. Thank you for your help! You've calmed me a lot

Comment

There is no reason why I would be turned away! I have no convictions, I've never been arrested, I have a squeaky clean CRB - I'm a pretty legit gal, I'm just a worrier! haha
                    I have entered everything into the ESTA website, it took me about an hour to make sure I'd read every single word on the application and everything was correct.

Woah, fingerprints! Thank you for telling me that - I probably would have freaked out if they tried to take my fingerprints and I didn't know why.. Thank you for your help! You've calmed me a lot
                    I am a worrier too, so I know how your feeling. I have been to the states roughly 12 times now & everytime I arrive the other side I get anxious. But actually it's worse thinking about it than actually doing it.
                    The fingerprints will be taken with a scanner, not with ink Lol....forgot to say that It sounds like you have everything in order, so now you can relax and look forward to your trip....I hope you have a super time x

Second Visit - June 2011
                    NOA1 - July 2012
                    NOA2 - December 2012

Comment

I guess everyone worries! haha
                      Would you recommend taking any ID other than my passport (Birth Certificate, Drivers Licence.. ect ect), or would that seem sketchy to them?! I just don't want to turn up without anything I need!

Thank you, I will be sure to have a brilliant time! I think I'm a little more worried about meeting the family/spending Thanks Giving with them than Customs, though

Comment

I guess everyone worries! haha
                        Would you recommend taking any ID other than my passport (Birth Certificate, Drivers Licence.. ect ect), or would that seem sketchy to them?! I just don't want to turn up without anything I need!

Thank you, I will be sure to have a brilliant time! I think I'm a little more worried about meeting the family/spending Thanks Giving with them than Customs, though
                        No need to take your birth certificate as ID but it wouldn't hurt to take your driving licence if you have one. Doesn't look sketchy at all. As your going over on a holiday you may choose to hire a car and you would need one if you choose to do so. So it would be fine to carry that with you. I do when I go over because I usually drive once there, although I also carry an international driving licence too.

I know it's scary and daunting meeting your other halves family but I'm sure it will go swimmingly. Your first thanksgiving will be one you will always remember. It's a lovely time of year to be in the states.....

Second Visit - June 2011
                        NOA1 - July 2012
                        NOA2 - December 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Oldblighty View Post
                          No need to take your birth certificate as ID but it wouldn't hurt to take your driving licence if you have one. Doesn't look sketchy at all. As your going over on a holiday you may choose to hire a car and you would need one if you choose to do so. So it would be fine to carry that with you. I do when I go over because I usually drive once there, although I also carry an international driving licence too.

I know it's scary and daunting meeting your other halves family but I'm sure it will go swimmingly. Your first thanksgiving will be one you will always remember. It's a lovely time of year to be in the states.....
                          I carry my licence in my purse anyway, so I will just leave it in there. I've been told by quite a few people that for a girl who's not at all sketchy, I really am worried about seeming sketchy! haha
                          My boyfriend, James, drives, so I doubt I will rent a car whilst over there. But it's nice to have the option!

Oh, I am absolutely terrified about meeting them! I sometimes think James had it lucky, as he met my Mum before he met me, she introduced us! So he never realy had the whole "Meeting the parents" thing!
                          I'm more worried about intruding, because I've always seen Thanks Giving as a kind of Christmas, I hope they don't mind me being there.

Comment

I carry my licence in my purse anyway, so I will just leave it in there. I've been told by quite a few people that for a girl who's not at all sketchy, I really am worried about seeming sketchy! haha
                            My boyfriend, James, drives, so I doubt I will rent a car whilst over there. But it's nice to have the option!

Oh, I am absolutely terrified about meeting them! I sometimes think James had it lucky, as he met my Mum before he met me, she introduced us! So he never realy had the whole "Meeting the parents" thing!
                            I'm more worried about intruding, because I've always seen Thanks Giving as a kind of Christmas, I hope they don't mind me being there.
                            Ha Ha...Yes I'm not sketchy in the slightest but one can certainly come across that way when put in an anxious situation.....you'll be hunky dory dear.....Well that's great that your James drives, so you don't have to worry about driving on the wrong side of the road Lol!

I presume your chap's American as it says on your profile that he lives in Baltimore? If so I will say that generally American's are very welcoming people, they will make you feel very comfortable and at ease. They will be glad to have a guest from England in their home during the holiday season & show you how it's done.

I have been to Baltimore a few times.....nice place to visit!!

Second Visit - June 2011
                            NOA1 - July 2012
                            NOA2 - December 2012

Comment

Whatever you do, don't lie. You don't have to give them any information they don't ask for, but if they ask you if you're visiting your boyfriend, tell them the truth. They know the score, and if you're staying at a private residence, they're going to guess the reason for your visit. They also keep track of your answers, and lying now could f you up later. (A friend of a friend was detained for a few hours because he was caught in a lie about visiting his girlfriend. He ended up admitting it, and they let him through, but I gather it wasn't a fun experience, and he was freaked out over future visits.)

Just remember: if they catch you in a lie, they have reason to deny entry. It isn't against the law to visit your boyfriend, so don't try to get cute with your answers if they ask. If you have ties to your home country and a return trip booked, you should be fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X