Choosing wedding songs... help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choosing wedding songs... help?

Figuring out songs for our wedding is hurting my brain...

I'm so stuck and Frank has no clue what he wants either so he's zero help. We are thinking we want modernish songs. Not typical/old/classic songs.

Does anyone else know what songs they want at their wedding???

Have any suggestions for me? Maybe I might use your ideas!?

Song list:
    1. Prelude
    2. Processional
    3. Recessional
    4. Postlude
    5. Introductions
    6. First Dance
    7. Father Daughter (I think I know what I want for this one, but am not 100% sure)
    8. Mother & Son
    9. Cake Cutting
    10. Bouquet Toss
    11. Last Dance

PS. I hate wedding planning and all the details. We have my dress, venue, DJ, photographer... and that's it and it's only 7 months away! We're procrastinators. I had a dream last week that a huge tsunami took out our crazy disorganized wedding (we had nothing prepared and guests were showing up and the place was a mess). I woke up right before the wave was going to hit me... and I was thinking "omg I'm going to die." So effing scary. (and yes our wedding is going to be on the coast!)
    Read my LDR story!
    Facebook
    Instagram

I'm 7 months out too and pretty much at the same point as you guys I've been meaning to call a florist for the past week, but well... procrastinating

We are having "Married Life" from Up! for the wedding party to walk into, then the "Ellie Badge" for me. Recessional will probably be "UP! with the credits".

We were talking about the first dance last night actually and we could only think of Amos Lee's "Sweet Pea"... but my SO wants to figure out if there is anything negative behind the lyrics before we settle on it. "Lucky" by Jason Mraz is also an option, but I'm pretty sure that is used quite a bit. My friends had "What a Wonderful World" for their first dance, which is pretty and I don't think is used too often I've also thought of "I wanna hold your hand"- the version from Across the Universe or "You've got a friend in me" from Toy story lol I need to sit down and think of some more options!

As for the other ones, we don't do the "father-daughter" "Mother-son" dances here so I don't think we'll have a specific song for those... and I have no clue for the rest!

<3 The day we met : 10.31.2009
    <3 Our first Date: 11.04.2009
    The Day we went long distance: 08.08.2010
    <3 He came to England: 12.27.2010-01.07.2011
    <3 My trip to Ohio: 5.29.2011-6.09.2011
    Our first Christmas visit: 12.23.2011-1.7.2011
    Distance closed: 2.29.2012!!!!!!!!

Comment

I didn't know all those things needed songs! Wow!

Lemme just throw some songs at you--

When I was little I always thought my first dance would be to "The way you do the things you do" by The Temptations. I also like the song "Sweet potato pie" by Ray Charles and James Taylor. Just about any Whitney Houston song would work for something-- "I have nothing" is nice, "I wanna dance", "How will I know?". I also love "Don't Change" by Musiq Soulchild.

That's what I can think of for now! Hope something works for you

Comment

Originally posted by nicole View Post
        I'm 7 months out too and pretty much at the same point as you guys I've been meaning to call a florist for the past week, but well... procrastinating

We are having "Married Life" from Up! for the wedding party to walk into, then the "Ellie Badge" for me. Recessional will probably be "UP! with the credits".

We were talking about the first dance last night actually and we could only think of Amos Lee's "Sweet Pea"... but my SO wants to figure out if there is anything negative behind the lyrics before we settle on it. "Lucky" by Jason Mraz is also an option, but I'm pretty sure that is used quite a bit. My friends had "What a Wonderful World" for their first dance, which is pretty and I don't think is used too often I've also thought of "I wanna hold your hand"- the version from Across the Universe or "You've got a friend in me" from Toy story lol I need to sit down and think of some more options!

As for the other ones, we don't do the "father-daughter" "Mother-son" dances here so I don't think we'll have a specific song for those... and I have no clue for the rest!
        After freaking out after my tsunami nightmare, the next day after work Frank stopped at a local florist to check them out and asked them wedding flower questions. He came home with some nice flowers for me The lady wanted us to stop by this weekend and have a real appointment but we were too busy. sigh... haha we'll get around to it eventually I guess.

Frank was actually thinking of using "What a Wonderful World" for his mother & son dance. And we also thought of dancing to "Lucky." But you're right! It is used a lot.

Oh boy. If I was at your wedding I'd totally cry! the soundtrack is very emotional haha. I cried watching that movie.
        Read my LDR story!
        Facebook
        Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by lucybelle View Post
          I didn't know all those things needed songs! Wow!

Lemme just throw some songs at you--

When I was little I always thought my first dance would be to "The way you do the things you do" by The Temptations. I also like the song "Sweet potato pie" by Ray Charles and James Taylor. Just about any Whitney Houston song would work for something-- "I have nothing" is nice, "I wanna dance", "How will I know?". I also love "Don't Change" by Musiq Soulchild.

That's what I can think of for now! Hope something works for you
          Ha, yeah! I had no idea I had to choose a song for cake cutting. But when researching wedding song stuff I came across it more than once.

I'm gonna listen those songs right now
          Read my LDR story!
          Facebook
          Instagram

Comment

Also, I think this is my favorite song ever. I love Lauryn Hill.

"Turn the lights down low"

Though I suppose the lyrics might not be 100% appropriate. Depending on the audience

Comment

You need a cake cutting song?????? (and by "you" I mean "we're supposed to have a song to go with the cake cutting?????? since when???")

I guess I have loads of time to pick out songs since we're about 11 months away... and don't have a DJ yet. haha.

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
              Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
              Progress: Working on it.

Comment

Joy to the World

Okay I should stop now. . .

Comment

Originally posted by lyonsgirl View Post
                  You need a cake cutting song?????? (and by "you" I mean "we're supposed to have a song to go with the cake cutting?????? since when???")

I guess I have loads of time to pick out songs since we're about 11 months away... and don't have a DJ yet. haha.
                  Haha, for real! I just googled it to make sure I wasn't crazy and I guess these are classified as "cake cutting" songs: https://www.weddingwire.com/wedding-...-cutting-music

I have to ask exactly what our DJ needs, but I will choose one just in case.

We just put the deposit down on our DJ last month. Man I hope he's as good as his reviews say he is. Someone has to be able to get our families up and dancing.
                  Read my LDR story!
                  Facebook
                  Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by lucybelle View Post
                    Joy to the World

Okay I should stop now. . .
                    Haha, I'm taking all these down and am gonna make Frank listen to them.
                    Read my LDR story!
                    Facebook
                    Instagram

Comment

Can I post here even though I'm not engaged yet?

Well I'm going to :P My SO and I are not engaged yet but since I've been to 3 weddings in the past 2 years and helped my friend decide her music we've discussed all of this already. Obviously this list could change but these are our ideas - not all of the categories are decided because I'm not that crazy....

6. First Dance - I Don't Wanna Miss a Thing by Aerosmith
                      7. Father Daughter - I Loved Her First by Heartland
                      8. Mother & Son - Simple Man by Lynyrd Skynard is a contender.
                      9. Cake Cutting - Pour Some Sugar On Me by Def Leppard. My good friend who just got married used Hit Me With Your Best Shot by Pat Benatar.
                      10. Bouquet Toss - Single Ladies by Beyonce (overdone but awesome)

Became a couple: March 17th, 2010
                      Started our college long distance relationship: August 2011
                      Surprise engagement in Disneyworld! : March 22nd, 2013
                      Closed the distance: May 2nd, 2014
                      Became his wife and started our happily ever after!: May 17th, 2014

Comment

My best friend's wedding processional was the instrumental from Bittersweet Symphony, and it was beautiful. Not so much the lyrics but the intro was really, really nice.

I'm slightly obsessed with Sufjan Stevens "The Dress Looks Nice on You". And I listen to Ben Folds "The Luckiest" all the time. I also saw a recommendation to use the Iron & Wine version of "Such Great Heights". Have you looked into any of the Vitamin String Quartet instrumentals? I told the SO that I wanted to walk down the aisle to their version of Stolen by Dashboard Confessional

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfbO9XxtA_4

Comment

Idk if it would work for any of these but uncle kraker smile is one of my favorite songs right now.

Comment

I am leaning towards Vitamin String Quartet's versions of some of "our" songs.

Comment

I've never been to a wedding that had a cake song.

Comment

Working...
                              X