Going to Chile~! =D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going to Chile~! =D

Okay, so I've been planning to visit my SO and see him for the first time ever in his home country, Chile, and I'm finally going there on March. We've met on the internet in 2010 and started our romantic relationship on June of 2012. It's been a long way and I can't wait to finally see him in person and not through a computer screen. =)

Okay so, I travel a lot. Ever since I was young I would travel every year by plane at least twice and I've been to many countries which I'm very grateful for. I was able to learn lots of cultures because of it and it's no wonder I'm fascinated by different languages (I'm also multilingual). The thing is, even though I have traveled countless times, I have never set foot on South America before. I'm used to how things work with airports in general because of my experience but I was wondering if there were any tips and advices regarding Chile and South America before I go. Like, for example, anything different or specific? Must I prepare myself for something? Should I be mindful about certain things when talking to people from the airport or in the city of the country?

Maybe it's my excitement or paranoia, but I just wanted to check. >v<

Looking for the future...

First Meeting: March 20 2016
    Got separated: August 2016
    Reunion: July 2017
    Officially together: January 2018
    ... And many meetings later ...

Never been to Chile, but I have been to Peru. Airports are just airports. I can almost guarantee that all the signs will be in both Spanish and English (unless you fly into a really really small airport). Probably everyone who works there will speak Spanish and English as well.

I think general good advice for being out in the city is trying to not stick out like a sore thumb. Don't carry a giant map or flaunt a guide book around. Don't look lost, even if you are. Walk with purpose. Don't wear valuables in the street. Don't put money/wallets in your back pocket. Carry your purse in front of you, not behind you. Be aware of your surroundings. And most importantly- TRY THE WINE!

Comment

Similar to what Lucybelle said... I haven't been to Chile, but I have been to a few airports in central and South America, including Peru, and really... an airport is an airport. If it's an international airport, you will very likely have no trouble at all, as they are designed to accommodate travelers from all parts of the world. I would not assume that all workers there will speak English (I ran into several who didn't), but you should still be able to find someone who does.

I'll ask my boyfriend later when he gets home if Chile is weird about anything.

Edit: I asked him and he said "eat a completo!" which he says is like a big sandwich. But otherwise nothing out of the ordinary in Chile.
      Last edited by kittyo9; January 8, 2013, 08:30 PM.
      Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
      Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
      Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

Thank you very much for the suggestions! I will keep all those in mind when I travel. =)
        My Spanish is not very good but since I'm Portuguese I can understand it fairly well, speaking is more difficult. But let's hope I don't have trouble talking with people when I'm looking for assistance (in worst case scenario I can always go pre-historic way and use signs and gestures XD).

Thank you, once again!

P.S.: And I shall eat a completo! ;P

Comment

Chile yay! I love the country any questions I'm more then willing to answer for you. What country are you from? Depending you may have to pay a fee at the airport either in cash (no Chilean pesos) or with credit card (they don't take debit cards). As a general rule no matter if they ask you what you think of Pinochet or Allende don't answer it'll just cause problems, I haven't done it as I know better but I've seen a fight break out in the street over it and at pubs/bars. Also be prepared to have all of your luggage scanned before leaving the security area of the airport (SCL) to make sure you aren't bringing anything illegal in the country also prepare for them to search your luggage no matter what you write on your customs form your luggage gets scanned.

Cafe con piernas visit one its coffee on legs think of hooters for coffee, fun places as long as you don't go to the ones with the blacked out windows yeah I did that before. I recommend a completo once but only if you like hot dogs, they are hotdogs in a bun with everything on it including avocado and tons of mayo. Get a pisco sour and a piscola (pisco and coke).

Sorry I'm rambling on, if you don't mind me asking what part of Chile are you going to be in?

I can give you more advice and help if you need it as I've been once and moving there for good in February.

Treasuretrooper <-- how I helped pay for some of my LDR expenses when I was in one.

Comment

Originally posted by Riyko View Post
            Get a pisco sour and a piscola (pisco and coke).
            I would argue that this is a Peruvian beverage... But try it anyway!
            Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
            Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
            Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

Originally posted by kittyo9 View Post
              I would argue that. This is a Peruvian beverage... But try it anyway!
              Chile and peru have argued for many years over who invented pisco first of course peruvians say they did and chileans say they did. To me it doesn't matter but tastewise I prefer chilean pisco over peruvian pisco to me the quality is better. To each their own

Treasuretrooper <-- how I helped pay for some of my LDR expenses when I was in one.

Comment

Wow, Riyko, thank you very much for the warnings and suggestions! I wasn't aware of a couple of stuff you mentioned so I thank you greatly! Now that I know you know Chile well I might just ask you stuff if I run into some questions. So sorry in advance. XD
                I'm from Portugal, or at least I'm born Portuguese and studying there now (I'll also be flying from here), but I've spent almost my entire life in Macau, so I consider myself more Chinese than Portuguese (and my Mom is originally from Macau/China, so I'm already a mix).
                As for the part of Chile I'm going, it's Santiago. =) I look forward to visit the place since I heard it's a beautiful country.
                Oh, and please don't refrain from rambling, I did enjoy the things you wrote since I learned new things about Chile. ^^

Comment

Working...
                X