Video Chat for the Shy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Video Chat for the Shy

Is there anyone here that hated being video recorded but somehow got over it because your SO wanted to video chat to keep in touch? If so, how did you do it? Haha.

I hate being on video, with a passion. My SO -like most people in LDR relationships- felt that Skype was going to be great for us. Nope! We've done it a few times but I dislike it so much, plus (and maybe I'm the only 1 in the whole world) it makes me feel worse, not better, to see him but not be with him.
    We're both trying new things to keep this thing going which is why I'm going to try it again- hopefully.

maybe you could just video skype on special occasions like each others birthdays, in the mean time stick with audio and frequent photos if you don't mind having your picture taken.

Could you maybe video yourself, and build it up that way, or place the camera out of the way while you do an everyday task so he can see you doing things but you're not as aware of the camera?

Comment

if you really hate it and dont get anything from seeing him then how about you just minimise the window? Though just as a side i think this would get better with time, i know its not nice when you first see them and you just want to be there, and skype cant replace that, but i personally got over that after a while and just enjoyed being as close to him as possible. Anyway so you cant see it at all and then all you do is sit infront of the computer? Its not perfect for him as you wont be looking at him or seeing what he's doing and you might have to maximise it once in a while if he's showing you something BUT it might be the compromise you can both work with?

Comment

I don't like it either, never been a fan of cameras being pointed at me and i find it harder to say goodbye on camera too.

I got over it by just thinking this guy loves me and he needs to see me and i can't deny him that. I minimize my window so i cant see myself and we play games so im distrated and forget im on camera. It gets easier the more you do it.
        As long as there is air in my lungs... there is a chance

Comment

I found it hard to Skype with my SO in the beginning too. It really does hurt to be able to see the person but not be able to reach out and touch them. I know the appeal of Skype/video-chatting is that it brings you closer, but sometimes it can also cause a lot of pain. We video chat pretty much every day now and we're both quite shy on camera still. With time, you'll probably get over it.

Good luck.

Comment

Those are good ideas. Maybe only Skype on important dates that we can't see each other.

Comment

Originally posted by redapple View Post
              if you really hate it and dont get anything from seeing him then how about you just minimise the window? Though just as a side i think this would get better with time, i know its not nice when you first see them and you just want to be there, and skype cant replace that, but i personally got over that after a while and just enjoyed being as close to him as possible. Anyway so you cant see it at all and then all you do is sit infront of the computer? Its not perfect for him as you wont be looking at him or seeing what he's doing and you might have to maximise it once in a while if he's showing you something BUT it might be the compromise you can both work with?
              Originally posted by leonsfangirl View Post
              I don't like it either, never been a fan of cameras being pointed at me and i find it harder to say goodbye on camera too.

I got over it by just thinking this guy loves me and he needs to see me and i can't deny him that. I minimize my window so i cant see myself and we play games so im distrated and forget im on camera. It gets easier the more you do it.
              Yeah, maybe minimizing myself can be a solution. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Rossy-Bear View Post
                I found it hard to Skype with my SO in the beginning too. It really does hurt to be able to see the person but not be able to reach out and touch them. I know the appeal of Skype/video-chatting is that it brings you closer, but sometimes it can also cause a lot of pain. We video chat pretty much every day now and we're both quite shy on camera still. With time, you'll probably get over it.

Good luck.
                Thank you!

Comment

if you unclick the skype screen you can still see them but not yourself

i find that if i dont unclick it i make silly faces at myself.

Comment

Originally posted by elizabethjp2010 View Post
                    if you unclick the skype screen you can still see them but not yourself

i find that if i dont unclick it i make silly faces at myself.
                    Lol, I wish I had that problem. Ok, thanks.

Comment

I have the same problem, but most of the time we just skype now and again if we feel like it and both aren't too tired/busy with something else or really mainly just on special times like we did at Christmas, and we're going to on Valentine's day
                      I wish I could get over it though, he's not exactly bursting with self-confidence but usually if I ask to see him he calls me pretty much straight away on skype (I don't have a working cam at the moment), whereas when he asks to see me I'm like "ummmm! xD"

Comment

I found it very hard to video skype at first. I was so shy I couldn't look at him! Thankfully he's the sweetest guy alive and was patient and encouraging and eventually I got more used to it.

I'm quite self concious about my looks and especially certain angles, so I was constantly looking at the window with my video and seeing if I looked awful! I did find that when I minimize my side, while at first challenging because you cant check what you look like, you actually tend to forget you're on cam!

Comment

Me

Aww I remember my first time video chatting. I covered my face and then peeked out to see him. Now we just could talk for hours and stare into each others eyes. It's such a wonderful thing.

Originally posted by louisekerry View Post
                          I have the same problem, but most of the time we just skype now and again if we feel like it and both aren't too tired/busy with something else or really mainly just on special times like we did at Christmas, and we're going to on Valentine's day
                          I wish I could get over it though, he's not exactly bursting with self-confidence but usually if I ask to see him he calls me pretty much straight away on skype (I don't have a working cam at the moment), whereas when he asks to see me I'm like "ummmm! xD"

Comment

A little late, but I thought I'd give my input.

I'm very shy on the camera, he however is not even slightly shy. When I'm on camera I cover my mouth the whole time, if I happen to get it on. But what I do is find a website or a game to distract them. Since I don't talk I don't have to worry about speaking and just distracting myself. It gives him time to see me.

I also make videos for me, I feel more comfortable without thinking "he's looking at me right now." Then if I make a mistake I could just make a new video, haha.

Comment

we dont do alot of video chatting either i mean we both have cams but we like to do so many things like watch tv and stuff together that camming doesnt work due to my nets not as fast as his so because of that its usually more of special things. ow if he goes shopping or i go shopping we will come home get on cam and show the other stuff we got. Or if the cats do somethin funny or special things like opening presents or just a date night from time to time then we will get on cam other than that we keep cam off and just listen to each others voice. Its just a suggestion cause I'm with you cause after awhile of watchin him on cam I start missing him badly and I want to reach through the screen and touch him.

Comment

Working...
                              X