Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to use money in USA

I have never travelled to the US before, but I am going in April

Just a quick question / source of advice really. What is going to be the best (read cheapest!) way to use money in NYC? Am I best off getting my pounds exchanged to dollars here in the UK first? Use a credit card or just use ATMs over there?

Using ATMs will mean you will pay up to a $10 charge each time you take money out. Your best bet is to take a couple hundred with you and then use your credit card for payments as much as you can and pay it off when you get back. Usually going to your bank to get currency is a better rate then a cash converter in a mall.

Comment

In regards to your bank card, I would inquire about the fees for international credit use and ATM withdrawals with the respective bank. For me it isn't THAT expensive to withdraw overseas ($5 AUD) and I pay 2.5% of the cost per transaction as a fee for credit use.

For me I find it easiest to use my debit card and pay via credit. If you want to exchange pounds for USD, you can just do it at home.

Comment

Yea i would check with your bank. Im with HSBC and i just pull money out of the ATM with my debit card. It's like 5 pounds for up to 400$ and the conversion was better than exchanging money before i go. Depends on how long you stay though. I tend to stay a month upwards and i know if i convert $200 before i go it wont last long. Or I send money to my husbands account and just take it from there. Bank transfer is like 20 pounds fee for up to 5000 pounds - for me thats the cheapest way.

Comment

When I go down to the states to visit, I mainly use exchanged currency cash that I've brought with me from my bank. I also let my credit card company know that I will be traveling and may have transactions in the area I'll be staying in.

Comment

80anthea! United States is a perfect place to explore, I'm in love with the continent, It just always makes me feel so great whenever i travel to the beautiful attractions if United States. I am just in love with all of the cities of USA. I know that you gonna enjoy yourself a lot while the tour.

Comment

Originally posted by Victoriaa View Post
              80anthea! United States is a perfect place to explore, I'm in love with the continent, It just always makes me feel so great whenever i travel to the beautiful attractions if United States. I am just in love with all of the cities of USA. I know that you gonna enjoy yourself a lot while the tour.

Well this is random. Did you look at the date of my post? I went to the states two years ago and have been many times since! Also, you've been to ALL the cities in the USA? Amazing

Comment

Originally posted by 80anthea View Post
                Well this is random. Did you look at the date of my post? I went to the states two years ago and have been many times since! Also, you've been to ALL the cities in the USA? Amazing
                Spammers all the way!

Met online: February 2011
                Met the first time: August 16, 2011

Comment

Working...
                X