Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any safety or friendly tips for someone going to Curitiba, Brazil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any safety or friendly tips for someone going to Curitiba, Brazil?

Especially for a young woman at the perspective of traveling alone fro faraway Europe? To do or not to do? (:

You'll be with your SO in Brazil, right? Actually traveling (planes and airports) is pretty safe and, but walking around Brazil alone could be potentially dangerous depending on what the area is like. In general, I'd say make sure you have a backup place to stay (the name of a hostel or hotel you can go to if anything goes wrong while you're there) and access to money of some kind (you can usually make a withdrawal from an ATM for a small fee). Keep your items in a place you can see or feel them as much as possible, like a zippered side bag. Try to dress casually when you can, as dressing up will make you stand out and call attention to the fact that you might be a foreigner.

Otherwise, use the same caution you would use in a large city.
    Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
    Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
    Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

Agreeing with Kitty on this one, usually just taking the same precautions as in any big city will do the trick I wouldn't wander around alone at night though, I barely felt safe even doing it together with my SO in Buenos Aires and even less so when I had to do it alone on my way back home. But other than that, just have your belongings in a safe place, don't dress too "touristy" but try to blend in with the locals, don't flash with cameras, expensive watches or money, and be attentive of your surroundings

Met online: February 2011
      Met the first time: August 16, 2011

Comment

Again agreeing with the above. Brazil is a very safe country as long as you take normal precautions.

Traveling alone is awesome! Plus you're never really alone, you meet people to hang out with along the way. That's the best part. You're with people when you want to be and by yourself when you want to be.

Try to dress casually when you can, as dressing up will make you stand out and call attention to the fact that you might be a foreigner.
        Gotta disagree with this though. I've never been to Brazil but from what I know about it women dress up. Here in CR, if I go out in shorts, sneakers and a t-shirt I would stick out like a sore thumb. Women dress to the T here, even just to go to the grocery store. When I travel through Latin America I usually try to wear nice-ish jeans, "fashion" sneakers (not work out sneakers) or a nice pair of sandals, and a nice shirt (blouse or something not a t-shirt). Even then, I'm usually the most under dressed person around.

Comment

I went to Curitiba and I loved it. Very clean very nice city. But from my experience in brazil keep your phone in your bag close to your person, because theft could always happen. Don't take it out unless you're in a safe location . I let my boyfriend do all the navigating with his phone. If someone asks if they can see your phone, don't do it. That's how phones get stolen. A little kid tried that with Marc and he called him out on it and he ran off.

But yes Curitiba is beautiful. you should check out the opera house too.

Here's an album I took while there:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=7236d036ef
          <3

I love my Brazilian. Do you love yours too?

Comment

<3 Thank you very much for the replies everyone!

Comment

Working...
            X