Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We're starting the visa process!

Hi everyone

Scott and I talked last night and went back and forth over which visa would be the best ones for us. With him in the US and me in the UK, and knowing that he will come here we only had a couple of options. The first was that he come on a visitor visa, we get married and then he returns to the US and we go straight for the spousal visa. This would mean that he wouldn't have to pay for two visas and would be able to work when he arrived.

The second option was that we apply for a fiancé visa, when he gets approved, we then marry within the six months and apply for the spousal visa. This would mean paying for two visas, but fewer flights and would allow us to have some time to prepare and get used to living together.

We both know we want to spend the rest of our lives with the other, we both know we both love each other and care for each other immensely. I already meet the financial requirements due to my circumstances and so it's just a case of us having the money for his flights and the visas. We decided in the end that we would go with the second option as both options came to needing a similar amount. So, whilst he has savings already, he will need to save more to be able to do both, as will I.

He's coming here and we're planning to marry. He hasn't proposed yet, but he wants to do that when he's here so that it's more personal than over the phone or skype or text or whatever. He's looking for a job - ANY job - that will allow him to save asap and then we'll start the process. I need to do some things on my end and so will be starting to get that stuff done ready for us to submit the application! The hope is that he's here by the end of the year

Yay! The wait begins, but at least there is now a light at the end of the LDR tunnel for us!
    Joey & Scott
    Met: April 2002
    Lost Contact: August 2002
    Reconnected: April 2010
    Together: May 20th 2010

[COLOR="#800080"]"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight." Benjamin Franklin

Congraturlations to you guys! and the most heartfelt of good wishes and positive thoughts! I hope it goes as smoothly as possible ..sounds so exciting and great. Good Luck!

*P.S.: good going with the 2.3 kg!

Comment

good job on deciding to start looking into visas!

I found it was a VERY big jump from looking at the visas to DECIDING on one and actually APPLYING.. theres so much information to take in! and it took us a few months to get all of the paper work together for the application.. We were applying for him to move to Australia though, but we did look a little into the UK ones (hes from the UK).

I honestly commend anyone who takes the jump into visa processes, its tough, even though we have already made the first application now, I wouldn't want to do it again!
      Met Online: February 2009
      Feelings grew: January 2011
      First met in person: 4 April - 16 April 2011
      Officially together since: 4th of April 2011
      Second visit: 29 June - 1 August 2011
      Third visit: 28 September - 15 October 2011
      Fourth visit: 19 January - 25 February 2012
      Fifth visit: 24 March - 12 April 2012
      Sixth visit: 2 June - 7 July 2012
      Engaged: 1st of July 2012
      Seventh visit: 27 August - 23 September
      Visa lodged: 5th of November 2012
      Eighth visit: 8 December 2012 - 12 January 2013
      Visa granted: 8th of May 2013
      Hawaii: 19 May - 2 June 2013
      Closed the distance: 16th of July 2013

Married my Englishman on the 4th of October 2013

Comment

Originally posted by summerkid View Post
        Congraturlations to you guys! and the most heartfelt of good wishes and positive thoughts! I hope it goes as smoothly as possible ..sounds so exciting and great. Good Luck!

*P.S.: good going with the 2.3 kg!
        Thanks so much, I'm hoping to get down to 100kgs

Originally posted by Jazi View Post
        good job on deciding to start looking into visas!

I found it was a VERY big jump from looking at the visas to DECIDING on one and actually APPLYING.. theres so much information to take in! and it took us a few months to get all of the paper work together for the application.. We were applying for him to move to Australia though, but we did look a little into the UK ones (hes from the UK).

I honestly commend anyone who takes the jump into visa processes, its tough, even though we have already made the first application now, I wouldn't want to do it again!
        Yes, it does sound very scary and at the same time exciting! I hope yours goes smoothly as well!
        Joey & Scott

[COLOR="#800080"]"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

That's so exciting, good luck! I think the option you've gone for is the sensible one, I think some time living together before taking the plunge is probably a good idea! I'll keep my fingers crossed everything goes smoothly for you both x

Comment

Originally posted by kattermole View Post
            That's so exciting, good luck! I think the option you've gone for is the sensible one, I think some time living together before taking the plunge is probably a good idea! I'll keep my fingers crossed everything goes smoothly for you both x
            Thanks, we both agreed that it would be useful to get used to living together. I just got off the phone with the bank and they're sending me a letter which will be the first piece of paperwork in a few thousand that we need for the visa, so it's truly begun! I'm both excited and nervous, for obvious reasons!
            Joey & Scott

Comment

congrats!!!

Comment

Yay!!! Very exciting and very scary. Good luck

My SO only proposed one week before we got married, after we had planned everything. It was still romantic and special

Comment

Originally posted by dragonlady View Post
                  congrats!!!
                  Thank you

Originally posted by lucybelle View Post
                  Yay!!! Very exciting and very scary. Good luck

My SO only proposed one week before we got married, after we had planned everything. It was still romantic and special
                  Thank you, it seems backward but I know that doesn't make it any less special and we don't mind so that's the main thing!

Editing because apparently I don't know my words that well! Less not more!
                  Last edited by JoeyBug; April 17, 2013, 12:25 PM.
                  Joey & Scott

Comment

Congrats on starting to give the distance the finger!
                    But im going to give you the info i was given, im not being mean i just want to make sure you make it!

Originally posted by JoeyBug View Post
                    The first was that he come on a visitor visa, we get married

You can't get married on a visitor visa(My SO and I were going to try this too)

Firstly, if you mention it at the border when youre coming in, they will refuse entry on the ground that you dont have the correct visa.
                    Second, he'll have to provide proof of the visa at the registry office. No fiance visa, no marriage.
                    Third. If you manage to get married on a visitor visa it will screw up your spouse visa application. As they will have proof he entered "illegally" (getting married without the right visa, entering under false pretenses) and thats grounds for refusal.

All info comes from a lawyer who solely does immigration work and i hounded for months trying to figure out our options

Get the fiance visa, then switch to the spouse visa. You dont have to re-apply so you wont have to pay the huge amount again but you do have to pay a fee.
                    As long as there is air in my lungs... there is a chance

Comment

Originally posted by leonsfangirl View Post

Firstly, if you mention it at the border when youre coming in, they will refuse entry on the ground that you dont have the correct visa.
                      Second, he'll have to provide proof of the visa at the registry office. No fiance visa, no marriage.
                      Third. If you manage to get married on a visitor visa it will screw up your spouse visa application. As they will have proof he entered "illegally" (getting married without the right visa, entering under false pretenses) and thats grounds for refusal.

All info comes from a lawyer who solely does immigration work and i hounded for months trying to figure out our options

Get the fiance visa, then switch to the spouse visa. You dont have to re-apply so you wont have to pay the huge amount again but you do have to pay a fee.
                      This is coming from my knowledge of USA visas which I assume are similar to UK visas.

Someone from the USA does not need a visa to enter the UK. So it is perfectly legal to go to the UK, get married, then go BACK to the USA while applying for a spouse visa. What is illegal is coming on a "visitor visa", marrying and then staying in the UK. I mean, lots of people have destination weddings in the UK. It can't possibly be illegal to get married then and then go back to your own country. If you want to apply for a spouse visa you have to get married somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by leonsfangirl View Post
                        Congrats on starting to give the distance the finger!
                        But im going to give you the info i was given, im not being mean i just want to make sure you make it!

Originally posted by lucybelle View Post
                        This is coming from my knowledge of USA visas which I assume are similar to UK visas.

Someone from the USA does not need a visa to enter the UK. So it is perfectly legal to go to the UK, get married, then go BACK to the USA while applying for a spouse visa. What is illegal is coming on a "visitor visa", marrying and then staying in the UK. I mean, lots of people have destination weddings in the UK. It can't possibly be illegal to get married then and then go back to your own country. If you want to apply for a spouse visa you have to get married somewhere.
                        Thanks for the info, I didn't make myself clear but it wasn't the visitor visa I was talking about but the visa that allows you to marry in the UK, it's what people who just want to get married in the UK use and is a possibility as far as I know, but he would have to return to the USA before we could apply for the Spousal.

Either way, we decided to go the fiancé route then Spousal so it's moot.
                        Joey & Scott

Comment

Good luck!! We are doing the same as you, working on a 6month visitor visa for my Teirak to come to the UK to live with me, after that we will work on the fiancee visa next year and close distance That's the plan!! The visas are a pain in the ass though, the amount of info/paperwork they want! But I got it all in hand as I'm sure do you!

"Buddha made you for me" - My SO

1st Met/Visit: Nov 2012 - Thailand
                          2nd Visit: May 2013 - Thailand
                          3rd Visit: Jun 2013 - Thailand
                          4th Visit: Sep 2013 - Thailand
                          5th Visit: Sep 2013 - Jan 2014 - UK
                          6th Visit: Apr 2014 - Thailand - Marry
                          7th Visit: Sept 14th 2014 - Thailand - Wedding Ceremony / Party
                          Close the distance - Sept 21st 2014 - UK
                          UK Wedding Party: November 8th 2014

Comment

Originally posted by MattDavies86 View Post
                            Good luck!! We are doing the same as you, working on a 6month visitor visa for my Teirak to come to the UK to live with me, after that we will work on the fiancee visa next year and close distance That's the plan!! The visas are a pain in the ass though, the amount of info/paperwork they want! But I got it all in hand as I'm sure do you!
                            I wish you the best of luck! I had to get the first piece of documents that I would need to start the visa process, it should be here soon and then I've officially started!
                            Joey & Scott

Comment

Congrats on starting the visa process! I wish you guys the best of luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X