No announcement yet.

Meeting customs in Europe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You could simply point out to your SO that you come from a different cultures and that you'd appreciate if he helped you out a bit... I come from a culture where two kisses on the cheek is customary in informal meeting (only when a woman is involved, men don't do it unless it's to their fathers/grandfathers/uncles/etc as a sign of respect) and when I lived in England for a while I had a few instances where I got all in people's personal spaces because it was automatic for me to get close for cheek kisses. Woops!
    So, here you are
    too foreign for home
    too foreign for here.
    Never enough for both.

Ijeoma Umebinyuo, Diaspora Blues

Comment

Originally posted by Hollandia View Post
      I find that the Dutch people are more affectionate than the average American if they know you well. Most people I have met have been very nice and seem to have a lot of curiosity about USA. It is a bit daunting to go to the more "local" places like the grocery store where they seem almost annoyed at times if you don't speak Dutch. I know enough words to get through the lines and read what I need but I still feel very out of place in the average Jumbo or Albert Hein. They really don't spare words and can be quite blunt at times even from the first moment you meet them compared to what you are used to in America.
      ^^ All very true haha. Dutch people never spare words in shops etc. We see the "How are you today" kind of questions in stores more like superficial, because you don't know each other I guess... And a lot of Dutch people can be rued and blunt indeed. Also we are kind of rushed a lot. Nobody likes waiting etc. Last week when I was in Amsterdam I ran up to the tram and (although the driver saw me coming) at the moment I got to the door he drove away. ***hole. The bluntness/rudeness of people and the rushing are not qualities I'm proud of actually in our country haha. But, if people are being nice to you, big chance they are actually nice

I'm meeting my boyfriends parents in December! I have talked to them on Skype a few times earlier, but that doesn't really count.. In my case, will a handshake be okay or will I be hugged or kissed? I'm personally going for the handshake haha.

Comment

@Hollandia: I've heard that to be very true! Thanks for letting me know. Hopefully if I visit, my SO will take me around and I won't have to worry about making an ass out of myself by attempting to speak Dutch XD

I've also heard that they tend to be more cold, or at least less accepting of foreigners (esp. Americans). Gotta be careful, maybe I could just pass myself off as Japanese? xp

Thanks for your very helpful post!

@Ejoriah: That's very funny! You're right, I could point that out as well I grew up in a 'kissing culture' too: since I'm Filipino, you kiss EVERYONE hello and goodbye at a party.

@Flo: Oh no! That's quite the story. Sorry that happened to you :c Thank you for the advice! ^_^

As for meeting your SO's parents, I would definitely go for a handshake. That's the norm in the US. If they bring you in for a hug or kiss, then do the same, but I wouldn't expect it at all. ^^

Comment

Hmm... I went to Serbia and the proper greeting just depends on the person, kind of like in the U.S. Let them take the lead and watch their body language. Also, if they know you're from a different country, they might use your country's typical greeting. It's pretty cool. Just relax, you'll do fine!

Comment

I'm sorry, but why respond to a thread that has not been used for 4 whole years? Seems unlogic.
            Distance means nothing when someone means everything.

Comment

Originally posted by erwin1973 View Post
              I'm sorry, but why respond to a thread that has not been used for 4 whole years? Seems unlogic.
              Hmm... It might be because I didn't realize that it was 4 years old. There, now it's logical

Comment

Originally posted by HeartAbroad View Post
                Hmm... It might be because I didn't realize that it was 4 years old. There, now it's logical
                That's a great answer. You just made my day.
                Distance means nothing when someone means everything.

Comment

Working...
                X