From Just a Blind Date to Long Distance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From Just a Blind Date to Long Distance

I met my SO about a year ago, I was a senior in high school and he was a junior. Our mutual friends set us up to go to the Homecoming dance and since neither of us had a date, we agreed. The night was anything but awkward. We had fun, laughed and felt comfortable with each other. Our goodnight kiss might have been the most tender and romantic kiss of my life. We talked for a week or so afterwards, but he decided to break it off. I wasn't exactly crushed, we had only known each other for a little while. But something in the back of my mind told me that we could have been something great.

For about 4 months we completely avoided each other. I mean no communication, not even eye contact in the hallways at school. In February we started talking again because I got a little tipsy one Saturday night and someone dared me to text him. Best dare of my life. From then on we slowing started to get to know each other again. We both began to realize that the other was really cool, interesting and that we fit together really well. He was dating another girl at the time that he admitted later that he had no idea why he was with her. We decided to just be friends, neither of us really thought that we would work in a romantic way.

So Prom comes around, it is kind of sad to say, but he went with his girlfriend and I went alone with some girlfriends. The whole night we kept looking at each other (I mean I kept looking at him...it could have just been me being creepy but whatever), but we only spoke once at the beginning. Two days later he broke things off with his girlfriend. Then promptly asked me to hang out the following weekend. He asked if I wanted to watch a movie with him and the couple (my best friend and his as well) that set us up. I, being completely oblivious just thought it was a simple hang out with friends. Boy was I in for a surprise. The night started out simple, we were just watching a movie in our friends basement.

He put his arm around me, and I was like "ooookay?" I liked him, so it's not like I was about to shake it off. At some point my two friends got the memo from him that he wanted them to leave. After about an hour, we got left alone. We made small talk for a little while, but when I was in the middle of talking about how excited I was for graduation, he kissed me. It just felt so right, so I ran with it.

After that night, we talked a lot more. We both said that we didn't want a relationship. I was leaving in the fall for college 400 miles away and he would be starting his senior year. So from May through mid July we were just a summer fling, but I knew that I wanted more. I started to fall for him, really hard. I never said anything because I knew that he was happy with where we were, and I could live with that.

One hot summer night, we went to one of our favorite parks to go for a walk, a preferred date of ours. We were on this platform that over looked the whole area. The park is 5 miles of path through fields and woods along a river. We were watching the sun set and just talking. I looked over at him and I saw this really adoring look in his eyes. I didn't really think that much of it at the time. But about a week later we were having a really serious conversation. I was having a bad night and I was confessing to him all of my struggle in the past two years with my depression and anxiety, no one besides him knows that I have either of those to this day. He said that he couldn't not tell me anymore. That night was the first time that he said "I love you." I never expected him to say that to me. I felt really strongly about him, but I didn't realize that it was love until the moment that he said it to me. He told me that the night in the park was when he knew that he was in love with me.

But we still didn't decide to be in a relationship until a week later. We made our anniversary that night in our friends house.

We both knew that I was leaving in a month for college, but we didn't even breath the words "long-distance" until about two weeks before I was suppose to leave. He told me that he couldn't just say goodbye to me and that be that. So we decided to be long distance. The night before I left for school was one of the most emotionally draining nights of my life, I cried so hard that I got sick. There is no sadder thing that wiping away the tears of the love of your life away while trying to suppress your own. Seeing him cry just breaks my heart into a million pieces. We couldn't bring our selves to say good bye, so we said "See you soon then."

The next time that I got to see him was two months later, which doesn't seem like that long, but it felt like an eternity. Our love had just begun and we had spent every day of the summer together. Going from that to just phone calls, texts, skype, and the occasional love letter was like nothing compared to being wrapped in his arms. I returned home to go to his senior Homecoming dance, it to date was the best weekend of my life. Of course, it went by way to fast. After spending that much time apart, we both decided that we were way to co-dependent to spend that much time away. Neither of us care how much money or sleep it costs us, we need to see each other more often. So he came up to visit me two weeks later, this past weekend. He visited my campus, and he had been talking about wanting to go here, and he had looked at the school before we met. My school is on the shore of a great lake, with mountains and hiking trails all around it, and that is exactly what he loves.

He decided that he wants to join me up here next year, and we have discussed this at length. I definitely did not want him to pick this school just for me, and I know that he is not. I know that a big reason is because I'm up here, but I just know he loves the campus and the town just as much as I do. So luckily we just have to get through this one year of long distance, and I feel so blessed.

Every time that I have to leave him, or he has to leave me it's the worst moment of my life. I know that our time that we have to be apart and our distance seems very insignificant compared to some of the amazing love stories on here, but it's enough to rip a little piece of me apart. He is like my other half. When we're apart I feel like half of my body just got up and walked away.

No one thought or even thinks now that we are going to work out. Both my parents and his thought we would break up. All of my friends thought that I would meet some one I liked better at college. But the truth is that there is no one better than him. He is the most important thing in my life. We only were together for three months before I left, but that was enough time for me to fall head over heels in love with him. Call me a stupid eighteen years old who doesn't know what she wants in life. Call me immature and that I cannot possibly know what love means being this young. But I do know one thing, I want to spend the rest of my life with this man. I just count myself as lucky.

I believe that we have shocked everyone with the fact that we are still together. The distance has made us so much stronger, I feel like I know him on such a deeper level. Whenever anyone tells you that something is a lost cause and not to even try, just remember stories like this. If you truly love someone and want to to work out, it will. I promise, you just have to put in the work.

I hope that our stories has helped someone, or even just made one person feel something. I know that it was really long, and thank you for taking the time to read this.

"If there's a heaven out there somewhere, it's a place where we never have to say goodbye."

Love knows no distance.
Working...
X