Our story :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our story :)

This morning I was just thinking back to when my SO and I met. I'm in that kind of mood, so I thought I'd give it a go

In 2012, I was back in Ghana for the second time, volunteering as a third grade elementary school teacher. It was the best time of my life so far. And it was about to get even better.
    Around the last weeks of February the kids had two weeks off school, so instead of sitting around, 3 other volunteers and I decided to travel to the North of the country because we'd mainly stayed around the South and Central area. We planned a round trip visiting the Upper-East first, then the Upper-West and lastly spending a whole week at a National Park in the Northern Region. The first part of the trip was great, but we were really starting to look forward to relaxing a bit at the safari park (the hotel had a pool apparently, so we were ecstatic ) It was another long trip and after 6 hours in a little bus on a bumpy road, we finally arrived covered in red dust.
    At the reception they told us that we couldn't check in just now because the lights were out. We were so tired and just wanted to go to bed, but we decided to wander around until the electricity came back on. We went to the viewing point from which you have a beautiful view over the National Park. A group of young guys (hotel employees) were sitting there and chatting. They invited us to come down and we had a short conversation. I didn't take notice of all of them because only one was talking to us, but A. was right there. He says he still remembers seeing me there for the first time, all tired and dusty. Soon the lights came back on and we hurried to get checked in and went straight to bed.
    The next day, one of the girls and I decided to go relax at the pool after breakfast. There we met the pool attendant, who we recognised from the previous evening. He was the one that had talked to us at the viewing point. After a while one of his friends came up and asked if he could join us. I thought he was incredibly handsome ! He was a bit shy and didn't say a lot, but when he smiled I just melted.
    Fast forward a few days and the pool attendant came up to me and told me that his friend really likes me. I was so happy, but decided not show it just yet. I ran into him a couple of times and we had short conversations, but that was it. Finally, one night when his shift was over, he told me he needed to go to the nearby village to get some credit for his phone and asked if I would join him. On the way there and back we chatted for ages. He was so pleasant to talk to and he opened up quite a bit. I lost track of time completely. He brought me back to the hotel and just as I was about to leave, he stopped me and said "I think, I have a problem you." I didn't know what to say. I asked him what kind of problem it was. He looked down nervously and said "No, I think I like you a lot." I was careful with my answer. Knowing Ghanaian guys, they're often very fast when it comes to saying I like you or I love you, but inside I was doing a happy dance
    The following day, was our last day. We were going to leave around 4am the next morning, so we decided to have another chilled day the pool before the 15 hour journey. To my disappointment, A. was not there. I kept looking out for him but he never came to work. In the evening I sat at the viewing point one last time to watch the sunset. African sunsets are gorgeous ! I was starting to think I wouldn't see him again, until I heard someone walk up behind me. I turned around and it was him. He said he had been busy in the office, but had to come around to see me again. So we watched the sunset together and stayed up talking until 2am. Then he finally kissed me
    I was sad when I had to leave the next morning because I knew this wouldn't work out. But we stayed in contact while I was back at school and called me every evening. After 2 months, my time in Ghana was slowly coming to an end. Suddenly, one evening he surprised me and said he would be coming down to see me for a day because he can't let me leave without saying goodbye. He had managed to get 2 days off work, so he got on a bus and came to visit me for a day, travelling for 30 hours in total ! That's what won me over completely in the end. It was a beautiful day.
    I've been able to go back and see him twice after that and I'll be flying back again on our 2nd anniversary next year. I never thought this could work out but it did and it still is. He is what makes me happy

Thats a beautiful story.. Wish you best luck..

Comment

Aww such a cute story!! I love it! Really nice to hear that you guys are still so happy after all this time

Comment

Thanks for sharing your lovely story with us
        I thought of you and the years and all the sadness fell away from me - Pink Floyd

Comment

Such a cute story!!! I loved reading it!

Comment

Aw thank you, ladies ! xx

Comment

This is such a heart warming and beautiful story!

Comment

Thank you, Neide xx

Comment

Working...
                X