Marrying to stay together?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marrying to stay together?

Just wondering what you guys think of LDR's (international or not) marrying to stay together?

I'm all for convenience marriages!

Comment

We did that. Best decision we ever made

Met: November 19, 2010
      Tim came to Texas: April 27, 2011
      Made it official: April 29, 2011
      Lori went to England: September 21, 2011
      Mini trip to Paris: September 22, 2011
      Tim popped the question: September 22, 2011
      K-1 Visa approved!: May 21, 2012
      Closed the distance!: July 26, 2012
      Got married: September 22, 2012

Comment

If you gotta, you gotta. But I still think every marriage for any reason should be given a lot of thought. Having been through a divorce, I can tell you it sucks and I can only imagine how complicated it would be internationally.

Met online: 1/30/11
        Met in person: 5/30/12
        Second visit: 9/12/12
        Closed the distance: 1/26/13!!!

Comment

We've considered marriage as our way to close the distance. If you know you're going to be with that person in the long run, why not?
          started dating: 12/08/12
          "i love you": 04/12/13
          el paso: 07/24/13 - 08/05/13
          montreal: 12/13/13 - 01/03/14
          el paso: 01/05/14 - 01/19/14
          montreal: 05/30/14 - 07/27/14
          el paso: 07/27/14 - 08/18/14
          el paso: 12/27/14 - 01/16/15
          el paso: 06/02/15 - 08/17/15
          san antonio: 02/04/16 - 02/08/16
          san antonio/el paso: 06/03/16 - 06/21/16

Comment

If you're marrying to stay together then you're marrying for love, no? sounds like a good reason to me
            Don't be dismayed at goodbyes. A farewell is necessary before you can meet again.
            And meeting again, after moments or lifetime, is certain for those who are friends.
            ~Richard Bach

“Always,” said Snape.

Comment

I would definetely consider that! At least with some time on my back to know the person and if the relationship had any future, and if the other person might possably be happy after a relocation. I cannot marry though, since I am already married to my husband. I don't think getting a (fake) divorce is kind to any of us three either... so my best option is helping my SO get an education so he can relocate by himself.
              I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
              - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

I see it exactly like ionna. If you're marrying to stay with your SO then you're doing it out of love and that's what it should be built on

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
                First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
                Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
                Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
                Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
                Married: 1/24/2015
                Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

To the OP, or, possibly, to everyone, because clearly I'm missing something: you basically mean, "marry to stay together" as in "marry so you can live together in the same house without risk of the government/family kicking you out", right?

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
                  Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
                  Progress: Working on it.

Comment

As far as I'm concerned, that's actually one of the very few instances in which marriage is entirely justified

Provided that you have an established relationship with several visits in between, of course.
                    I thought of you and the years and all the sadness fell away from me - Pink Floyd

Comment

To add to my PP: I ask this because I've known a few people that have gotten married because they felt it was "required", and were pressured into it. (They're not married anymore.) She pushed him into marriage, he realized the mistake it was. They married because they thought their parents would "have" to think of them as adults since they got married.

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
                      Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
                      Progress: Working on it.

Comment

Getting married for a visa? Eh, you gotta do what you gotta do but make sure that you're ready for it.

Getting married because you're 'supposed to' or you 'should'? You're gonna have a bad time.

Comment

Originally posted by lucybelle View Post
                          I'm all for convenience marriages!
                          same! ^^
                          Maybe it's because I'm not religious and such, but for me getting married was mostly about getting that very special piece of paper, that opened out a lot more opportunities for my SO and I.

Comment

Originally posted by lyonsgirl View Post
                            To add to my PP: I ask this because I've known a few people that have gotten married because they felt it was "required", and were pressured into it. (They're not married anymore.) She pushed him into marriage, he realized the mistake it was. They married because they thought their parents would "have" to think of them as adults since they got married.
                            I wouldn't get married if someone thought I had to, if that's what you mean.

My big sister got married to the father of her child while she was pregnant even though it was a one-night-stand and he was engaged to another woman, because their parents made them - you can guess they are not married anymore.

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
                            First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
                            Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
                            Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
                            Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
                            Married: 1/24/2015
                            Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

I'm also kind of unsure as to the meaning of "stay together," since you said "international or not," and visa issues only apply to international couples.
                              Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
                              Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
                              Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

Working...
                              X