Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, I suppose I should post one of these.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, I suppose I should post one of these.

After staring at this page for at least 10 minutes, I guess I'll just have at it.

To sum up our relationship, for those who don't know: Nix & I started dating in the spring semester of our last year at university, that was January 2011. We were CD until we graduated in May, and I went home to WI and he stayed in IN. I moved to GA in June for my new job, and he stayed in IN until the end of August. In December work asked me to move to TX at the beginning of January. So I did. He stayed in GA. In July, he moved home to IN while I found out I would be moving to VA. I didn't end up moving until August 2012, but I moved. In Oct 2012 he came to VA to visit for a few days, and we drove back to IN to visit there a few days. He proposed that weekend. I flew back to VA, and we started wedding planning. In June 2013 I was told I'd be moving to MD at the completion of the VA project, which would be early September. So in September I moved here to MD. Early October he moved to MD, and then we got married Oct 26, back in IN!

So to break it down, we were CD for 9 months total of our relationship prior to marriage. LD for a total of 26 months before our wedding day. We've been married for just over a month now, and life has been pretty good to us so far. It's presented some challenges, but honestly, I think we're still getting used to the idea that I'm not leaving, and neither is he. When we went on our honeymoon, it was VERY weird because for the first time ever, he didn't drop me off and drive away at the airport. And now this weekend we will be flying together to visit his family for the weekend. Once again, I imagine it will be weird. Going to the airport together, and coming back together.

If I could tell anyone in a LDR one piece of advice, it's this: have patience. I struggled with patience - I still do. Have patience with yourself, with your SO, with your families, friends, neighbors, etc. Because you will always get "those" questions from people - those who know you and those who don't. "How do you manage?" "Isn't it hard?" "When will you see each other again?" That last one is the worst, especially when the answer is "We're not sure." They ask because they're curious. Indulge them a little, then turn the tables on them and ask something about them. Eventually they'll stop asking those kinds of questions. Then, when you get annoyed (because you will), come vent here, to other people who understand. Rant and rave about it, let it all out - here, and to your SO. Because your SO is getting those same questions. Just don't rant about it to anyone else, it does not ever end well.

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
    Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
    Progress: Working on it.

Congrats

Guess patience is what is needed.
    I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
    - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

I don't know why, but reading this nearly made me cry.

Thanks for sharing and congratulations once more!

Comment

Wow, it's just amazing. I can't even count the number of states that you had to live in the entire duration of your relationship. But you're one tough person, and we all admire you!

I still want to congratulate you on your wedding even if I already did. It was beautiful, and it's great to hear that you've found your happiness.

Comment

"I think we're still getting used to the idea that I'm not leaving, and neither is he."

It's really nice to read something like that . Congrats again!!

Married: June 9th, 2015

Comment

I'm really happy for you two
            Been following your tumblr for a while now :P

And also thank you for the good advice!

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
            First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
            Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
            Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
            Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
            Married: 1/24/2015
            Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

I totally teared up. Like, really. This made me cry with joy. c:

Comment

Thanks for sharing Patience and perseverance - great advice!
                “The ties that binds us are sometimes impossible to explain. They connect us even after it seems like the ties should be broken. Some bonds defy distance and time and logic; Because some ties are simply… meant to be.” - Grey’s Anatomy

>Little Box<

Comment

It's so nice to hear that the distance does get closed. Thank you for the reassurances. I'm happy things are going well for you. Your post came at just the right time for me. This Christmas is tough.

Comment

*sigh* this thread gives me so much hope. Thank you for sharing your story piratemama. Congratulations to both of you and I wish you many many years of happiness! ;-)

Comment

Working...
                    X