London!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

London!

So I am planning a trip to go to London in Spring/Summer timeframe (early stages of planning here) Has anyone been there before? Any tips? I have never been overseas before but I am very anxious to go! Anything that I should start planning now besides the date and plane ticket? Thanks!

I've been to London two times, so far to visit my husband. Spring/Summer weather is quite nice, but make sure to bring a light jacket, just in case for those chances of nice cool air. Also, if you are planning on taking a lot of public transport, it helps to get an Oyster Card. It is a card that you can use for the Underground and buses in London. All you have to do, is top it with money. I think if you use the card 3-5 times in one day, then it becomes a travel card for that day? Since you are visiting your SO, it helps to bring evidence that you have ties to the United States (letter from your employer, letter from University, Rental agreement or mortgage, etc.) Border Control at Heathrow isn't so bad, from what I've experienced, but it helps to bring evidence that you have ties to the United States, just in case they ask. Also, when you arrive to Border Control, make sure to be honest, and try not to be nervous.

How long are you planning to stay in London? There might be some events/festivals going on during that time of year. Before I went, my husband and I both went to this website: https://www.visitlondon.com/things-to-do
    We found things that interested us, and went to those places, or went to those events, if there were any events going on. I am sure your SO will give you a lot more advice, and show you a good time in the city of London. I loved it there!

Comment

For traveling on the under ground you don't need to have an oyster card, you can buy a day pass which gets you on all busses, trains and undergrounds around london and you can use it as many times as you like within 24 hours!
      I love close to london in oxford, I agree, take a jacket because spring time is when it rains a lot usually, but who knows you might get lucky!
      Depending on how long you're staying for there is loads of stuff to do! You can be a typicak tourist and do the london eye and that sorta stuff or you can go to Camden market, the aquarium is lovely (my boyfriend visited and took me there for valentines day) or go shopping. But basically where ever you go there's something to do! (I advise you to stay out of a place called Brixton though)
      Good luck! Hope you have a good visit if it's still going ahead, private message me if you need any more help!

Comment

You're going to love London! I lived there for a year and my SO is from there I see you're from North Carolina--are you going to be flying from Charlotte-Douglas to Heathrow? If you are, transportation from Heathrow into central London is super easy! Once you're in the airport just follow the signs (or ask!) to the Underground and take the Piccadilly Line (don't worry about getting the wrong line, Piccadilly is the only one that is in Heathrow!) all the way into central London. It's about 45-50 minutes. Of course where you get off depends on where your hotel is or where you are staying, but you'll get the hang of using the tube in no time. (The reason I'm going on about transportation about the airport is because I found the most intimidating part of leaving the country for the first time is getting your bearings when you get off the plane).

As for getting your ticket for the underground, you can either buy it at one of the kiosks or go to the ticket office (if it's open) and just ask for a day pass. I would definitely suggest the day pass because you'll probably want to go more than one place your first day and a day pass easily pays for itself in 2 journeys. Plus, it will be really helpful to have a flexible pass where you can get off at any station you want.

That's all I can think of for now. Like other people have said, feel free to send me a private message if you have any more questions!

Comment

I found London Underground really well organised for the most part and had no troubles using it on my own. I would advice you to pick up a pocket map of London A-Z though, they sell them a bit of everywhere and they're ever so helpful.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend doing the London Eye since the queues usually are horrendous (or have been when I've been in London) but I highly recommend British Museum! It's free entrance too and they've got so much to see. Other than that I walked the Tower Bridge, you can visit the Tower as well (wasn't bad queue at all when I was there during the Olympics) but you have to pay an entrance fee. Buckingham palace is also interesting and lies next to a wonderful park which is a nice break from sweaty and crowded streets. A walk along the south bank with view of the parliament and Big Ben is also quite interesting (goes past the Eye so you could always check out the queue, also goes past London Dungeon and the aquarium). Ask your SO and just enjoy being together
          We part only to meet again ~ J.Gay

Comment

I hope it's okay if I borrow this thread for a question of my own! I'm going to London in about a week's time and I'm arriving at Stansted at like 10pm. I've been told the cheapest way of getting in to London is taking the bus, EasyBus to be more specific, which goes to Baker Street. My question is if someone knows wether it's better to pre-book the bus tickets (which are only valid from an hour before to an hour after the time you book it (if the plane is delayed or early) or to buy them at the airport? I'm a bit insecure to buying them at the airport since there's a chance of there being a long queue, but I don't know :O Any info would be appreciated!

Met online: February 2011
            Met the first time: August 16, 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Alle1770 View Post
              I hope it's okay if I borrow this thread for a question of my own! I'm going to London in about a week's time and I'm arriving at Stansted at like 10pm. I've been told the cheapest way of getting in to London is taking the bus, EasyBus to be more specific, which goes to Baker Street. My question is if someone knows wether it's better to pre-book the bus tickets (which are only valid from an hour before to an hour after the time you book it (if the plane is delayed or early) or to buy them at the airport? I'm a bit insecure to buying them at the airport since there's a chance of there being a long queue, but I don't know :O Any info would be appreciated!
              To be honest I'd just go with the Stansted express to Liverpool Street, the train goes every 15 minutes and they generally sell tickets on the plane (at least Ryanair does) and throughout the airport. I've taken it several times but always used train tickets (since I don't stay in London) but they should even sell tickets on the platform, at least I seem to remember ticket machines being there. I haven't used the bus myself since I usually go to Paddington and on to the Cotswolds but I imagine it'd be as easy buying the tickets at the airport as prr-booking them, though Stansted is not quite as busy as Heathrow when it comes to amounts of lanes in my experience.

Hope this helped, have fun!
              We part only to meet again ~ J.Gay

Comment

Originally posted by Alsfia View Post
                To be honest I'd just go with the Stansted express to Liverpool Street, the train goes every 15 minutes and they generally sell tickets on the plane (at least Ryanair does) and throughout the airport. I've taken it several times but always used train tickets (since I don't stay in London) but they should even sell tickets on the platform, at least I seem to remember ticket machines being there. I haven't used the bus myself since I usually go to Paddington and on to the Cotswolds but I imagine it'd be as easy buying the tickets at the airport as prr-booking them, though Stansted is not quite as busy as Heathrow when it comes to amounts of lanes in my experience.

Hope this helped, have fun!
                Thanks for your input! I'll see what I'll do, haven't fully decided yet, haha

Met online: February 2011
                Met the first time: August 16, 2011

Comment

The easybus is by far the cheapest but only if you book in advance, they give you a 60min leeway for delays but if it's past the 60mins will charge you full price. As you're going so soon I'd check and see what the best price you can still get on there is, you may already have missed the cheapest tickets.

Comment

I am not sure if this has taken place yet or not as I just joined tonight. I am getting the London Pass when I go over. It offers many travel options for a touristy feel. As an American I want the full London experience and it will indeed pay for itself if you are planning some bigger adventures

Comment

I am british and I lived in London for two years, my advice is to save yourself money it is cheaper to get a day travelcard and if you are travelling to go sightseeing everyday get a weekly travelcard. Oyster card is a bad idea, as if you forget to tap in or tap out on the yellow pad at the beginning and end of your day, the next time you use your oyster card it will charge you full price and takes it off your money you just put on it. As I am british I got a railcard to get a 1/3 of rail travel and my fiancé who visited me in May from America he paid the normal price, but to save ourselves money sometimes we used the buses instead of just trains. It is worth it to get 2 for 1 deals on attractions like we went to The London dungeon and The London Aquarium 2 for 1 price cheaper than paying for them separately. Then for the other attractions that have entry fees it is worth it to get the London pass, as you pay £68 and you can get free entry into about 50 attractions and go on the boat ride all day hop on and off. Then there are the free attractions like british museum, the national gallery, the natural history museum, the science museum and the V&A museum.

Comment

1stLDlove! It is really nice to see that you are going to an amazing place. "London" is a beautiful place. I've been to London two or three times and I enjoyed a lot. Let me tell you some most amazing places of London Tower of London, London Eye, Buckingham Palace and St Paul's Cathedral are the most beautiful and attractive places of London. You should must visit all of them.

Comment

London is one of my most favorite cities of the United Kingdom. It offers numerous tourist attractions. I have been there many times in the past and still want to go there. It has the heaps of the fabulous parks and gardens. I really like it's all gardens and parks due to their prettiness and natural beauty. During your trip of this region don’t forget to visit its parks. I am sure you will also like them all.

Comment

Go to Cafe de Paris and see Cabaret des Distractions! Some of the best London circus talent perform there. Also there is a Battersea Dogs and Cats home and you can pay £2 just to hang out with the cats and dogs. You can't pet them, but being around them is still nice. Get an oyster card and get the app Tubemap for easy travel. I also recommend Camden Market and London Borough Market. If you can get a place off of airbnb in East London, that would probably be cheapest. I stayed in Woolwich/Greenwich and it's all very accessible. Also, if you can swing it, definitely take a trip down to Brighton. It's only an hour or so away from London Bridge if you get the fast one from Plat.5. There are hostels and hotels abound to stay at and it has one of the best pebble beaches in the country! Enjoy!

Comment

Karel! Let me share some images of the beautiful London's Parks with You:

Comment

Working...
                              X