No announcement yet.

Cultural Differences and Language Barriers with your SO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh and churches EVERYWHERE where he lives in, southern baptist churches that are enormous but ugly buildings. Our big churches are at least pretty to look at.

Comment

Originally posted by lucybelle View Post
      I think it was only fun until it turned into a Finn love fest. I hear they're really ugly anyways.
      Jealous much?
      Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by 80anthea View Post
        Oh and churches EVERYWHERE where he lives in, southern baptist churches that are enormous but ugly buildings. Our big churches are at least pretty to look at.
        Based on this post & your PP, 80, I'm guessing your SO lives in Texas. Texas is a different culture from the rest of the US... (I lived there for 8 months, it was an experience. But, I kind of loved it, so I wouldn't mind going back.)

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
        Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
        Progress: Working on it.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoThree View Post
          They're way hotter than Ticos!
          Just saying what I heard... I guess their redeeming quality is being well-endowed in the schlong department.

Comment

Just saying what I heard... I guess their redeeming quality is being well-endowed in the schlong department.
            I wish I could rep this post.

Comment

Originally posted by lyonsgirl View Post
              I wish I could rep this post.
              Me too, so much.
              Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Moon View Post
                Jealous much?
                My man is extremely sexy..

Comment

Originally posted by Moon View Post
                  Jealous much?
                  Oh and also a Finn lover started the post..so what else did you expect? I love Finns and I'm proud of it!!

Comment

Based on this post & your PP, 80, I'm guessing your SO lives in Texas. Texas is a different culture from the rest of the US... (I lived there for 8 months, it was an experience. But, I kind of loved it, so I wouldn't mind going back.)
                    No, very rural southern Virginia... but yes like Texas in many ways!

Comment

Originally posted by 80anthea View Post
                      No, very rural southern Virginia... but yes like Texas in many ways!
                      Ah. Somewhere in The Bible Belt was my 2nd guess.

Comment

She's right Texas is a lot different than a lot of the other states culture wise. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing. people in Texas are always talking about becoming our own country. I think it does kind of leads to this big ego thing. especially now since a lot the magazines are talking about the rest of the US becoming the Texas way because Texas is one of the most successful States financially now, forget the large income equality.. :-) culturally it's hard for to be raised in Texas and then move to Finland. Yeah..talk about culture shock!

Comment

Originally posted by TexastoFinland View Post
                          She's right Texas is a lot different than a lot of the other states culture wise. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing. people in Texas are always talking about becoming our own country. I think it does kind of leads to this big ego thing. especially now since a lot the magazines are talking about the rest of the US becoming the Texas way because Texas is one of the most successful States financially now, forget the large income equality.. :-) culturally it's hard for to be raised in Texas and then move to Finland. Yeah..talk about culture shock!
                          To be fair to the other 49 states, each one has it's own culture, so to speak. Texas is it's own beast, and it's pretty much the polar opposite of California or DC.

Comment

My SO speaks perfect English, I still can barely struggle to put a sentence together. I am starting to get more and more out of when other's are speaking Dutch around me, but far from speaking it. I know him and family wish I could speak it so I am going to buy the next tier of Rosetta Stone soon and give it another big go.

Where to begin? I get hit with culture shock each time I go back and forth...........so much I feel like I am getting whiplash. The culture is different in many ways. I am used to American style grocery stores and shopping styles. I am used to having much more storage space and elbow room in general. In my part of USA, you have to drive to get anywhere. No buses or trains anywhere near my house. A bike ride for me before was a casual hobby and not a mean's to get around. The TV we watch here are what we obtain mostly. In USA I use my DVR and watch mostly live TV. We don't know anyone over here in NL that has air-conditioning, I don't know anyone in Delaware that does not. Many people don't have a dishwasher and/or a dryer. I had never heard of a drying rack before coming here. The only time I ever do dishes in USA is after a huge dinner party that won't fit in my dishwasher. I was also shocked to find out that most stores are closed all day on Sunday. In USA, that is one of the busier shopping days of the week.

I could go on and on, but that is probably more than enough.
                            "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
                            Benjamin Franklin

Comment

To be fair to the other 49 states, each one has it's own culture, so to speak. Texas is it's own beast, and it's pretty much the polar opposite of California or DC.
                              Agreed!!

Comment

My so has only dated foreign women before me (he works at a beach restaurant and his best male friend is engaged to a Norwegian girl!). I would say he is a moderate Muslim. It is very different when we are in or out of the tourist area. He does not care around his job, dating foreigners is cool there. On the other hand an hour away we don't hold hands in public and try to behave more discreet like a normal Turkish couple. We get some stares because I am taller than him and I look European.

Turks have a way of being extremely polite and also very curious and direct. I am used to the Nordic way which is sort of direct, but also short. I am fairly curious and direct for a Norwegian. I am used to people minding their own business. Turks are more spontanious which is fun but I need structure, too, so we try to find compromises. I loved Turkish food even before going to Turkey, I love some Norwegian dishes but some is very boring, just boilt fish and salty food. I think he likes that Norwegian women are so independent. He doesn't have to take care of me and I have my own life.
                                I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
                                - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Working...
                                X