Scotland?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scotland?

I'm going to stay with my SO for the first time in april for 12 entire days. 10 months in and I'll finally be meeting his family!
    Are there any scottish people or people who know the area well for some really good things to do? My SO lives in aberdeen and we're willing to travel around for a day trip, thanks for any help!

Go to Edinburgh

Comment

Ahoy!

I actually just landed in Aberdeen last week to close the distance between my SO and I for a few months. I'm sure your SO will have lots of ideas about what to do in and around the city since he's from here.

Definitely go stroll through Fittie Heritage Village, it's quite cute (probably more swoon-worthy to me since I'm from Canada and we don't have many adorable villages or cathedrals around every corner). When you walk down Union street, make sure you cut down a side street, all the independent cafes and shops run parallel and are tucked away, but so worth popping into. Aberdeen also has a 2 mile-long beach if I'm not mistaken - really nice to go down after dinner and just watch the waves crash in. We're planning a trip to Edinburgh this weekend if things go alright (if you've seen my posts you'll understand, hah). Definitely want to go see King's Close or the City of the Dead tour - but I'm kind of geeky like that.

You'll have to let me know if you get up to anything fun and exciting in or around the city, I'm looking for the little gems, too.

Comment

Thanks, that's so helpful.
        He actually lives right by the beach when he's at his parents house but isn't so keen on taking me there even though coming from oxford/london way I hardly ever even see the sea! Such an unromantic boy he is.
        We're planning on doing endingbrugh zoo with his family as he wanted to do something that his little sister would feel involved in (I hear it's supposed to be amazing there if you like animals?) And some place called Duffy (or Duthie) park is supposed to be nice but for 12 days he didn't seem to have much for us to do.
        I'm not even sure if we're going to be on very good terms when I arrive to be honest.

Comment

I've not heard of Duthie park yet, thanks for the tip - I just googled it and it looks worthwhile
          I'll let you know if we stumble on anything else this weekend that you might enjoy. I suggest you force him to take you to the sea! I'm used to the great lakes in Canada, but there's just nothing like the seaside. And the village really is quite sweet and peaceful. There are a few hikes/walks nearby that I might be able to suggest if you're into that. There's also Codona's Amusement Park on the seaside, but I don't think that opens until the end of March (not sure when you're coming?). And lastly, Stonehaven is about a 15 min train ride away if you're looking for a day outing.

Sorry to hear that you and your SO aren't on the best of terms, I certainly understand and think it's big of you to make the trip regardless I hope you guys can have a great time together.

Comment

Edinburgh is definitely on the to-do list! The National Museum of Scotland in Edinburgh is free and absolutely amazing. Unfortunately I haven't been as far north as Aberdeen, the furthest I've gone up is Dundee.

Anywhere in the Cairngorms (eastern Highlands) is absolutely gorgeous. If you're into walking, you could have a go walking the West Highland Way. You would also get to see the beautiful blossoms of spring, spring lambs and the awesomely cute Highland cow!

If you really wanted to go sightseeing in Glasgow, I could recommend a few spots there too.. however I'd have to say that Edinburgh and the Cairngorms are much more picturesque. Enjoy your time in Scotland!

Comment

Hello!

I live in Aberdeen. There is some gorgeous countryside around us, if you are into walking and being outside, then head out to Royal Deeside (Ballater/Braemar) and there are some lovely places for walking. Duthie Park is nice but does get very busy on sunny days (not that we have many of those ) Stonehaven is nice on a sunny day too, take a trip to Dunottar Castle too, it's breathtaking. There are lots of castles nearby Aberdeen too, Fyvie Castle and Cragievar are probably two of the best to visit.

Edinburgh is fantastic, there is so much to see and do there so I'd recommend a trip there and even staying overnight as it's a few hours from Aberdeen by car.

Comment

Yeah, I keep saying "We can do this when it's sunny!" and he just laughs at me like, nope, no sun!! Which surprised me cuz down south we had it pretty hot last year (or atleast was hot to me!)
                Thanks for all the advice, seems like even if we aren't getting along I'll still have a nice time!... Maybe..

Comment

Marleigh-Nicole! Scotland is a great place, You should must visit to the Scottish Highlands, Holyrood Palace, National Museum of Scotland and Loch Ness these are the most famous and the most amazing places in Scotland. You should must visit all of them, I'm sure that you'll enjoy a lot while traveling.

Comment

My aunt lives in Aberdeen and she used to tell me about this area. According to her it is the best and attractive part of that region and it offers pretty sites around it like you can see there The Gordon Highlanders Museum, Linn O' Dee, Duthie Park, Johnstone Gardens, Craigievar Castle and Fasque House.

Comment

Milli! I also have been to Aberdeen, Let me share some names of the top attractions of Aberdeen here:
                      Gordon Highlanders Museum
                      t Machar's Cathedral
                      Duthie Park
                      Aberdeen Maritime Mus
                      Satrosphere Science Centre
                      Craigievar Castle
                      Aberdeen Art Gallery
                      Kirk of St Nicholas
                      Sunhoney

Comment

My SO lives in Aberdeen as well! Love him to bits. He plans on coming here to America in a few months, but I've already started saving up for a trip back with him. He says Edinburgh is the place to go. There are a few bakeries in Aberdeen he wants to take me to (I love pastries and sugar work), but there's a used book store in Edinburgh that I'd absolutely ADORE. He's so sweet on me 😍

Comment

Originally posted by sulleven
                          Mili! I want to say like this that you have shared here a really best names of attractions with all of us. I like it and try to go for exploring The Gordon Highlanders Museum,. It is a best attraction name for my younger brother, he want to go theer with me in next year so Have you any images of The Gordon Highlanders Museum?
                          Hey there.... Check the dates on the post. Mill posted her reply in 2014....

Comment

Spam again?

Comment

Spam spam spam spamity spam.

Comment

Working...
                              X