Alternatives to Skype?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kittyxuchiha11 View Post
    it does need constant wifi connection. i only really call her for long amounts of time when i'm in my house and connected to my wifi. if you have wifi in your house you could just connect to that couldn't you? or if not maybe even spend like a little time on the phone and then it won't take up that much data if you cannot connect to wifi.
    Hmm, it'd probably just be easier to use voice calls on Skype in that case (well, when it decides to work on a given evening)...I'm just always paranoid I'll go over my plan since I can't really afford the extra charges. Might be something to keep in mind for when I upgrade/change my contract though, so thanks anyway.

Comment

I use tango with my SO. I haven't had any problems as of yet.

Comment

We use line, it's got IM voice and video call functions and we never lose signal (uk-us) I have a lot of international friends and it's great to be able to talk to them for free

Comment

I'm going to play devil's advocate and say the call feature on Facebook Messenger works pretty well if all else fails.
          ---------------
          Closed the distance: 14th January 2015

Comment

Try LINE app or viber you can install it on PC too, or KAKAO TALK but there is no video call with these apps. except LINE u can use video call with that, my SO and I are using FACETIME it's an apple app.

Comment

Hmmmmmm if you have limited data...........wow. Most apps use data. If you're on your computer Facebook or Yahoo, you can send texts to her phone and she can reply. But your phone to her phone not using text and wanting to IM? I cant think of any app that doesn't use data. Pretty much all do. Whatsapp, Kik, etc...No ideas on that.

Comment

Google Voice/Hangouts is really good. I use it a lot in addition to Skype. However, I prefer Skype over any other program because of the auto-answer feature (although auto-answer is not available for the ipad).

Comment

Google hangout - video
                  Facetime - video
                  Facebook chat - supposed to have a video option
                  Magic Jack - if one of you from the US it gives you a US phone number
                  MSN
                  Yahoo Messenger
                  SMS
                  Whatsup
                  Email
                  Letters

All good ways of communication

Comment

There's a beta app called Seen for Facebook that we used for video chat for a while. Now that he got a different phone we use Line. That also does IM. There's also a sweet couples app called Between that I love to use for messaging.

Comment

Viber and Tango are decent as well.

Comment

Reported
                        Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

FaceTime for video calls.
                          iMessage for texting.

We also use shared photo albums to collect memories of our trips together.

Comment

With my SO we use whatsapp or kik for txts. Whatsapp for voice calls or messenger. For video calls old version of skype or Facetime.
                            And I know there is another great txting app for the ones that are in Europe that is Threema. I have friends over there and it works great too.

Comment

My So and I use WeChat and it can voice call or a feature we find works is just sending voice messages back and forth. When the video acts up we like that feature. It's got good IM ability as well.

Comment

For the most part skype hasn't been an issue. When it is we email if we can't email I will phone him and tell him skype is acting up as I phone his phone from skype.
                                Engaged Dec 2015!! Visa approved June 2016 . Married July 18th 2016 <3

Home is where the heart is and my home will always be with my love.
                                All the way from England to the USA.

Comment

Working...
                                X