No announcement yet.

Any "over 40?" members?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm 46 and so is my fiancé. We are going to marry in September and will live apart for a short time. Then I will move to be with him. We miss the physical touch but talk, Skype and text every day. We support each other and know we are not alone. Glad that this forum is here for all of us.

Comment

Again, so nice to chat with people who are our own age, and similar circumstances. I nearly left this forum because I just cannot handle the 19 year old "pining" for their "long lost love" who lives 3 hours away...and the bad grammar just makes it worse (and when I mean bad grammar...I am not picking on those who are not native English speakers...what I mean is the on purpose horrid internet slang and shorthand like "U R my frnd". DRIVES ME NUTTY!!!

I am envious of those who can talk to your loved one daily. I've yet to actually SPEAK to mine since he left in March. And we are lucky if he has poor internet connection from day to day. Often we go nearly a week with no messaging. Still cannot get FaceTime to work in Africa. :-(

Comment

Yes, it is very nice to have an older group here indeed!
        February 2012 -- met online
        August 2012 -- he said "I love you."
        April 2013 -- met in person
        June 2013 -- broke up
        July 2013 -- back together
        August 2013 -- 2nd visit
        October 20, 2013 -- He proposed!
        April 22, 2014 -- Married/closed the distance!

Comment

Originally posted by ittybittypilot View Post
          Again, so nice to chat with people who are our own age, and similar circumstances. I nearly left this forum because I just cannot handle the 19 year old "pining" for their "long lost love" who lives 3 hours away...and the bad grammar just makes it worse (and when I mean bad grammar...I am not picking on those who are not native English speakers...what I mean is the on purpose horrid internet slang and shorthand like "U R my frnd". DRIVES ME NUTTY!!!

I am envious of those who can talk to your loved one daily. I've yet to actually SPEAK to mine since he left in March. And we are lucky if he has poor internet connection from day to day. Often we go nearly a week with no messaging. Still cannot get FaceTime to work in Africa. :-(
          Awww...that's a little harsh, don't you think? Rarely do members use text speak on here, most people n this site are quite literate. Also, while yes, some posts are ridiculous and childish, most, especially the Vets on here, are in the same general situation as we are. They're far away from the ones they love, and use this forum as a place of comfort and support, they just have different challenges, but it's just as hard nonetheless.

While I tend to stay away from posts from teenagers, because I don't even pretend to relate, I think those in the younger generation, 20+, can really benefit from the wisdom that those of us older than 40 have hopefully gained by this point. We benefit also, from views that aren't quite so jaded, and from the society that has grown up with technology at their fingertips.

Some of my best LFAD friends are young women in their 20's, a few younger than my own daughter, we learn from each other, we support each other, and we make each other laugh. Yep, they're young, but they are intelligent women that can hold a great conversation. What more can you ask for?

I'm not saying it isn't great to have women closer to my age to chat with too, but don't automatically discount the younger women here, a lot of them are great, too.
          Last edited by Moon; July 6, 2014, 02:04 PM.
          Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Moon View Post
            Awww...that's a little harsh, don't you think?
            *Thumbs up*
            June 2013 -- broke up
            August 2013 -- 2nd visit

Comment

I'm in the 40+ group too. Both of us are 43 - he turns 44 two days before I do. (Yes, I constantly rub it in that he's older!) We've each been married before and have kids. Mine are both in college and he has quite an age range with his - the youngest is 15. It definitely has it's differences when you are in our age group and I look forward to chatting with others in my age group who are doing the LDR too.
              To those who dream, nothing is ever far away.

​Distance is to love as wind is to fire. It blows out the little ones and fans the big ones.

Comment

Welcome R&R! Nice to have you here.
                June 2013 -- broke up
                August 2013 -- 2nd visit

Comment

Thank you!
                  To those who dream, nothing is ever far away.

​Distance is to love as wind is to fire. It blows out the little ones and fans the big ones.

Comment

Anyone here over 60, retired? Am I the oldest one here?

TWO HEARTS BEATING AS ONE, LOVE BRIGHTER THAN THE SUN...

Nothing Can Keep Us Apart, Safe In Each Other's Heart

Comment

Originally posted by Katherine View Post
                      I am trying to work with my current employer to allow me to work from home more. My job lends itself to doing that. So far I have approval for three days a week. My plan is to spend one or two time a month with him during those work from home periods. My dilemma is whether or not I should let my employer know I am doing that for fear they'd take the privilege away. I just want to spend more time with him and I am trying to figure out how to make that happen.
                      I am a bit in the same boat as you here. I spend a week a month with SO through a deal I made with work. They don't know that I see him, but it is not any of their concern as long as I actually do my job. First and foremost you do your job, and then like any normal person you also have spare time in which you can do as you want. If you plan on telling your job, my advice is, wait until it is established and then they already know it is working like it should.
                      I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
                      - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

I'm 44 (US) and he's 48 (UK). It's great to read comments from people of similar ages since our issues are a bit different than younger people in LDRs.

Comment

44 here! Just signed up here. My boyfriend is in North Carolina and I am in Wisconsin. It's nice to find some support for for over 30 in ldr.

Comment

Welcome lynbee and MyPinkTheory

Comment

I'm 55 and my partner is 56, he is in the US and I am in Ireland. We met online 4 years ago, I am separated with 2 adult children and my partner is divorced. We are so much in love, we are in contact everyday with phone calls and online, he is the love of my life and my soul mate. I have visited the US 4 times since we met and we are hoping to close the gap this year all going well. It's so hard being apart from each but we will never give up, no distance will keep us from fighting for our love. I look forward to chatting to people of my age

Comment

Welcome to LFAD, Geri!
                                Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                                X