How a Stranger Became The Love of My Life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How a Stranger Became The Love of My Life

I’ll keep it short, it was a normal day, December 7th 2009, I was off from school and was meeting up with some friends later on. I’ve been going on this website ‘Omegle’ for the last few weeks when a friend told me about it. Omegle.com is a website where you can talk to complete strangers from all over the world. I said to myself that this was the last person I’ll talk to and then I’ll get ready and go out. So, I pressed the button ‘Talk to a stranger’. We started talking, both not knowing who in the world we were talking to, the usual ‘Hi, how are you doing?’ were in order, he told me his name was Chuck. He was 18 and from Holland and I 15 and living in Ireland. After about 5 to 10minutes of conversation, nothing special, he asked for my MSN. I really didn’t find that super awesome since on this website every second person would ask for MSN or Facebook. But, anyway I gave it to him.

That’s when it all began, that night we talked again, and the night after that and the night after that. On New Year’s I got an email from Chuck, that was the first time he ‘said’ he loved me. A week later we saw each other on webcam for the first time. And around that time I found out his actually name, (he sort of forgot to tell me that his actually name was Niek not Chuck, and that was just a nickname, he felt bad, but I still find hilarious.)

Then we started planning when we could see each other in person. The idea was end of summer 2010. I told my mum in February but she didn’t take me too seriously. The months flew by and before we knew it was summer and it was time to officially tell our parents about our plans. Niek was of course scared, in case his mum completely disapproved, so it took some time before he told, end of July. And the very morning he told he also ordered his tickets to come to Ireland.

August 12th, I picked him up from the airport but of course I was late! One of the most nerve-racking days in my life! He met my parents, had dinner all together. Went away on a little trip and on the 16th of August he asked me if I wanted to be his girlfriend, he had these Yin and Yang necklaces for me and him, his had my name on it and mind had his name on it. He left 5 days later, and came over once a month until New Year’s. And then finally that February I flew to Holland to meet his family. We traveled back and forth until summer. And in July of 2011 I stayed in Holland for a whole month and he came to Ireland after that for 3 weeks in August. We’re planning a trip again the second we get a chance. Long distance is hard, but what we have is so worth it!

The best year and a half of my life!
    It has taken me a while to update my story since it has been a busy few years and I haven’t been active on lovingfromadistance.com for a while.

So since 2011 there has been a lot more traveling to Ireland from Holland and visa and versa. Every summer holiday and every few weekends we tried to fly over to see each other. It was a long and expensive two years of going back and forth.

But then in November 2012, Niek applied for an internship in Dublin, since he was in 3rd year of college, he could do an internship abroad. With a lot of luck, he ended up getting an internship for his dream job as a Game Developer in company about five minutes away from where I live. He then moved over on the 14th of February 2013 and got a little room with a few other people and lived there for 6 months.

Since I was only nineteen, my mum wasn’t too happy about the idea of me leaving her to go live with a boy but eventually we did MOVE IN TOGETHER in September of 2013 and have been living together in a lovely apartment in Dublin ever since.

Life has been beyond awesome since then, Niek has been promoted to a full time position in his work so that means he can stay here and finish university from Dublin. I also have one more year left in university and then the dream would be to move to Toronto, where there are endless opportunities for the careers that we want.

So after 9 months of talking, 31 months of long distance, 6 months of living in the same area we achieved the impossible and closed the distance (living together for 10 months now), TOTALLY WORTH IT!

Congrats on closing the distance. It must feel wonderful after being LD for such a long time .

Comment

Originally posted by Sanja View Post
      Congrats on closing the distance. It must feel wonderful after being LD for such a long time .
      Thank you Sanje! It really does feel wonderful. All the travel was worth it in the end!

Comment

Congratulations! (Or "gefeliciteerd" as the Dutch say) I'm in love with a Dutch boy myself

You look so happy; keep us updated! ^_^

Wishing the best for you both.

Comment

You guys look so cute Congrats on closing the distance.
          I thought of you and the years and all the sadness fell away from me - Pink Floyd

Comment

You are an adorable couple
            Congratulations on making it happen!
            It's never easy but totally worth it!

Comment

Congratulations! (Or "gefeliciteerd" as the Dutch say) I'm in love with a Dutch boy myself

You look so happy; keep us updated! ^_^

Wishing the best for you both.
              Thank you Lori! You know what it's like then, those Dutch boys are just irresistible, I had no choice but to love him! :P

I also wish you the best of luck with your story, hope you guys close the distance as well! <3

Comment

Thank you!

Originally posted by TwoThree View Post
                You guys look so cute Congrats on closing the distance.
                Thanks, it's been a role-coaster ride!

Originally posted by Ahava View Post
                You are an adorable couple
                Congratulations on making it happen!
                It's never easy but totally worth it!
                Thanks for the support! You're right it wasn't easy but through a lot of luck and perseverance we made it happen.

Comment

That is a very beautiful story! Congrats on working hard to make it work!

Comment

Congrats to you both!

Comment

You are very lucky to find your love.

Comment

Congrats on closing the distance!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MissAfina View Post
                          Congrats on closing the distance!!!!!
                          Just an FYI--- this thread is two years past : )

Comment

Working...
                          X