Closing the distance...costs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alma View Post
    2. One way plane ticket. Let's say a one way plane ticket costs about 300-500 €
    Are you sure about that? I have no experience traveling to or from the US, and I'm sure other people on the forum can give you a better answer, but in my own experience one-way tickets cost just as much, if not more than return tickets.
    I thought of you and the years and all the sadness fell away from me - Pink Floyd

Comment

One-way tickets are a mystery, I can tell you that. Here even more so than usual, the time you book and the location you book from matter. When I looked up one-way tickets for my SO for when he moves here, I found out that a ticket from Salt Lake City to Hamburg would have been 2000 euro (!!!) if I book it from Germany, but just 400 euro when I book it from the US. I even went to a travel agency in my area to ask about this and they were no wiser than me (and also only had access to the expensive German deals). I found out there are deals that were only bookable with a US credit card, to boot. I have no idea how this is possible, but I'm assuming there are deals that are artificially being limited to certain customers (like, in this case, people with US credit cards, so basically US citizens only).

Keep your eye out and try several search engines, and definitely set the search engines to different locations. Also, make sure to set your browser to icognito/private mode, or delete your cache, cookies and browsing history beforehand.

~
      It'll take a lot more than words and guns
      A whole lot more than riches and muscle
      The hands of the many must join as one
      And together we'll cross the river

Comment

Wow, okay. Well, if a one way ticket is much more expensive than I could book a return flight and just stay in the US...wouldn't that be the easiest way?

Besides that, what do you think about what I wrote down? Does that make sense?

Comment

It would be good to buy an open return ticket.

I would also get a travel insurance. If you have no way to get covered by US health insurance in the beginning, you probably want to go for a long term travel insurance.

Money to fix the million little things/paperwork apart from visa.

Also, while it seems nice that he does not charge you for living costs in the beginning, if you eventually get a job it would be fair if you chipped in to cover parts of his cost.
          I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
          - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Cost of living in USA is all about what part of USA, as are flight ticket costs. Pick a hub and it is cheaper. Live outside of a major city and commute and it is cheaper. Does he have a job making enough for you to get your VISA to USA? I have been broke at some points in my life in USA and I found places to live at not far from the higher areas that were still doable. He really needs to do his research. Some places might work with him about his deposit and if he has credit he might be able to get a loan for 5-10 grand from a bank.

I maxed out my cards and spent close to enough to put down a down payment on a huge house in USA or buy 2 cars, but it was worth it. I have the ability to pay it off with the sale of my house next year, but tbh, after 3 years of this, I would have done it even if it would have taken 10 years to pay back. The closing of our distance will cost about this.

Residence card for UK for non Eu family member of Eu citizen exercising their right to movement for workers.....55 pounds/ 91 USD
            Rent for first place upfront .............600 pounds/996 USD
            Deposit for place.............................600 pounds/996 USD
            Double rent for place in NL for 2 months........520 Euro/689 USD
            Airfare to Belfast........................................... ..........200 USD
            Airfare to Gibraltar for 2..............................................400 USD
            Hotel for one night in Gibraltar(req)...............................200 USD
            Marriage fees for Gibraltar......................................... ..107 Euro/142 USD
            2 Ferries from NL to Belfast........................................... ...130 Euros/172 USD
            Gas to drive to from NL to Belfast........................................150 Euro/199 USD

Now understand this does not take into account some extra fees we had like cats getting Rabies shots, micro chips and passports that cost 200 Euros/265 USD and their new collars and new acceptable Pet carrier, total of about 100 Euros/132 USD and also the fact that we are selling some stuff toi help pay for some of this. We both sold our cars from our previous countries and now selling several other things to help with the costs. We have also been pre-paying much of this over last few months.

Cost for shipping our stuff to new coutry.......................................600 Euro/795 USD......................paid by his parents
            Cost for storage for our stuff for 2 months.......................................200 Euros/265 USD....................paid by his parents
            "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
            Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Alma, aren't you getting way, way ahead of yourself here? I mean, all this, and you haven't even met yet. What if you can't stand each other IRL? That can happen. I certainly hope you aren't considering your first meeting to be the day you close the distance, that's a pretty bad idea. I don't mean to sound discouraging, but it needs to be said. How long have you even been together?
              Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

I have to agree with Moon. I think it's fine to dream about the future, and even have a rough plan in your mind of how you hope it will work out. But as we all know, life never adheres to our plans. Take things slowly and enjoy what you have now. Don't focus all of your energies into planning closing the distance until you've been together a bit longer and met a few times.
                In all the world there is no heart for me like yours.
                In all the world there is no love for you like mine.
                -- Maya Angelou

Comment

I know both of you are right. But I am that kind of person who freaks out when I don't know how my future will be like...
                  It's mostly because I am really struggeling with money right now and I am really concerned about my future. I really try to slow down and enjoy my relationship, but this money thing drives me nuts and I am really afraid...

Comment

I know both of you are right. But I am that kind of person who freaks out when I don't know how my future will be like...
                    It's mostly because I am really struggeling with money right now and I am really concerned about my future. I really try to slow down and enjoy my relationship, but this money thing drives me nuts and I am really afraid...
                    Even if you hit the lottery tomorrow, you won't know what your life will be like. No matter how precisely you try to plan it, life is going to surprise you, shock you, and punch you in the face on occasion. If you can come to understand that, you'll be a lot less anxious. Everyone in their 20's struggles with money, it's a learning experience that will help you greatly in your future, but you'll get it figured out eventually.
                    Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Well, I was born poor and then my Bio dad walked out on mom with 3 kids get really poor, mom met my adopted dad, got pretty comfortable, we moved to an area above their means and got poor again, moved out on my own, got even poorer. Married my ex and struggled for years but built our way up to quite comfortable only to lose most of it a few years ago and start back at that almost poor stage. 20 is many years away from me.

My point is, you can't let your finances dictate your life. Don't assume because you are building up you will always have that. Live each day for today and be happy each day. If I worried about money as much as you do, I would have slit my wrists a few months ago.

Shit in life just happens and money is not the worst of it, so deal with it but don't let it rule you.
                      "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
                      Benjamin Franklin

Comment

believe me or not...I am crying. All of you are right. The way I am thinking kind of sucks and I HAVE to change it. It was never easy for me to let go and just relax.

Comment

believe me or not...I am crying. All of you are right. The way I am thinking kind of sucks and I HAVE to change it. It was never easy for me to let go and just relax.
                          That is a huge first step in learning how to get better. I like to remind myself that there are people fighting to put food on the table and after losing my Dad I realized money is not the most important thing in life. I would pay anything to have him back. You have your health and your SO and for that you should celebrate each day. Deal with your responsibilities but do not let them detract from your happiness to experience your life. There are plenty of rich 80 year olds that would give anything to be in your shoes.
                          Benjamin Franklin

Comment

You just started the relationship! Of course you don't know what the future will be like, you don't even know your SO that well. Taking your time means all the information you crave will come to you. You will learn about yourself, SO and the relationship. You will also learn about all the practical things you need to learn. Trust me, before I met SO I had not (I am a bit ashamed to say this) even ordered an international ticket outside of a travel agency. I was afraid to manouver in the unknown waters. The good thing about LDR you don't really have a choice. You are in the middle of your own life trying to make the best of it. If you crave to know how to do things better, you will get to know internet sites, forumes, people that can help you. SO might know som things to help, too. Firstly, focus on how to keep in touch. Then plan for a visit. Then take everything for there. Somone closes the distance soon, even internationally, but for most it comes as a result of learning and probing and easing things along the way.
                            I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
                            - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

How long have you two been together?
                              Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                              X