US to OZ LDR!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US to OZ LDR!

I've only met a few US to OZ ldrs, and I'd like to get to know more, because I'm going to be making a temporary move over there on a WHV. I'd like to get as much advice as I possibly can. Thanks!

My fiance's last visit here was on a work and holiday VISA. Unfortunately he couldn't get work because you can only stay in one job for a set amount of time and I guess they didn't want to train someone who couldn't stick around. He had to go home at the end of October last year when it expired. I don't know much about the process, since he applied for it (obviously) but he received it really quickly.

I think the main thing with it, because you can't book return flights a year in advance, is just being able to show that you have the money to support yourself, and that you'll have money for return flights. So having a bit in the bank is a good thing.
    Together since: Feb 23rd 2005.
    First met: June 13th 2006

Comment

Do you have any specific questions? I moved over here on a WHV and now have temporary residency.

Met online: 1/30/11
      Met in person: 5/30/12
      Second visit: 9/12/12
      Closed the distance: 1/26/13!!!

Comment

I guess I'm just worried about being turned down. I'm trying to get over there a couple weeks before Christmas. I was wondering if they make you buy a return flight ticket or if the funds are enough. I guess I'm really worried about coming through security and what to expect? And what I might need to have ready?

Comment

Originally posted by Lea-le-Lea View Post
          I guess I'm just worried about being turned down. I'm trying to get over there a couple weeks before Christmas. I was wondering if they make you buy a return flight ticket or if the funds are enough. I guess I'm really worried about coming through security and what to expect? And what I might need to have ready?
          They do suggest you have those things. I had the funds but no return flight. But I was only asked one question-did they give me a bag for my alcohol at duty free Seriously, that was all. I think you should be prepared but in all likelihood you'll be absolutely fine. And I was under the impression it was the funds OR the flight so you should be good. And actually-you can go through the electronic scanner now as a US citizen. The last time I returned from a visit I was pregnant and worried about getting grilled. But I was directed to the self serve kiosk and all was well!

ETA: If they have those at Brisbane, I'm unfamiliar with that airport.

Met online: 1/30/11
          Met in person: 5/30/12
          Second visit: 9/12/12
          Closed the distance: 1/26/13!!!

Comment

Yeah, you don't need the flight. You generally can't even book flights a year in advance because they simply don't exist yet. You just need to be able to prove that you have the funds to be able to buy one when the time comes.

I would imagine security will be like any other trip, home address and address of where you'll be staying, perhaps whether you have a job lined up, or what sort of ties you have back home, I'm not sure. If I can remember, I'll ask my fiance tomorrow.
            Together since: Feb 23rd 2005.
            First met: June 13th 2006

Comment

Thank you so much guys, I'm so excited to be moving there temporarily I have enough to renew my passport and lodge my visa application. Just waiting on that paycheck! But thanks for easing my worries.

And yeah, my SO said Brisbane has the electronic scanners.

Comment

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the help!! My WHV got approved in under 48 hours, and I will be moving in December!!! Aaahhhh!!

Comment

Thank you so much guys, I'm so excited to be moving there temporarily I have enough to renew my passport and lodge my visa application. Just waiting on that paycheck! But thanks for easing my worries.

And yeah, my SO said Brisbane has the electronic scanners.
                  Yeah they do! I fly from bris all the time.

Comment

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the help!! My WHV got approved in under 48 hours, and I will be moving in December!!! Aaahhhh!!
                    The turn around time was very fast
                    So excited for you

Comment

naw were kinda the same, except opposite lol if that even makes sense. I'm from Sydney Australia and my boyfriend is from Virginia, U.S.A. I'm freaked out as well about the whole flying and VISA thing especially because America is so hard to get into and I'll be the one making the move. But lucky for you Australia is one of the easiest countries to get into

Comment

Originally posted by Lexa_Jared View Post
                        naw were kinda the same, except opposite lol if that even makes sense. I'm from Sydney Australia and my boyfriend is from Virginia, U.S.A. I'm freaked out as well about the whole flying and VISA thing especially because America is so hard to get into and I'll be the one making the move. But lucky for you Australia is one of the easiest countries to get into
                        Oh gosh, it was super easy, but the next part is deciding where we're going to move/stay. If he's coming to America in the end, I'm gonna be suuuuper nervous about that visa!

Comment

Enjoy your time with him.

Comment

Yeah, but I'm sure you guys have plenty of time to decide that we've already organised that and were most likely going to live in U.S atleast for the first couple years of our relationship because I'll be in university over there for atleast 4 years. From there we'll decide but it's siding more so with the U.S. You shouldn't be too worried there's heaps of ways you guys can make it work, you've made it this far, which should be proof alone of how strong you two are.

Comment

Working...
                            X