video chat problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

video chat problems

When we video chat (be it facebook or skype), my image is frozen most of the time (I can see me moving, but she can't). Is there anything to do?
    It works fine if I video chat with someone in my own country, but over the atlantic it is not working. However, I can see her clearly.
    So far, I tried reducing framerate and resolution for my webcam, without success. My internet has 100MBit/s... Driver and Skype versions are up to date.

I think it might be her internet connection. We've had the same problem. His internet connection is a telephone line and they can't get a much better one as it would cost lots.
    When ever there is a storm it goes down and doesn't work at all or works really badly.

Comment

I have to agree with Ahava, it does sound like an internet connection thing. Unfortunately, unless the bandwith is changed, there is not much that can be done.

"True love isn't about being inseparable; it’s about two people being true to each other even when they are separated."
      Married April 18th, 2015!!
      Distance Closed October 4th, 2015!!

Comment

When we were in the same country we were able to video chat. Her internet connection stayed the same.
        Back in Germany I can talk by video to other countrymen as well. That's why I think it shouldn't be my connection either.

Comment

It is not your connection, it is hers. My fiance's internet connection is really slow and he will see that my picture freezes up, while I can see him fine.

It was probably better when you were both in Germany because the internet was much better. Unless she gets faster internet, this is something you will have to deal with.

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
          First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
          Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
          Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
          Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
          Married: 1/24/2015
          Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

Originally posted by snow View Post
            [...] It was probably better when you were both in Germany because the internet was much better. Unless she gets faster internet, this is something you will have to deal with.
            We were both in the USA and her internet connection was the same.

Comment

it's one of your internet connections,how far apart do you live from each other?

Comment

Well, this is all I can tell you. Good luck!

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
                First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
                Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
                Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
                Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
                Married: 1/24/2015
                Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

Originally posted by butterfly712 View Post
                  it's one of your internet connections,how far apart do you live from each other?
                  Germany - USA (6 hs time difference)

Comment

You could do a quick speed test to determine if it is in fact a bandwidth issue.

Head over to speedtest and follow the steps on screen. Make sure to close any other browsers and stop any downloads you have running before starting the test.

(I tried to post a link, but my post count isn't high enough appearantly. Just google "speed test" and it should be the first result. It will say "Speed test by Ookla".)

There are many things that can effect the video quality of a skype conversation. Ping, packet loss, and jitter can all cause issues, not just bandwidth. Skype self adjusts the video resolution and audio bit-rates to help compensate for limited bandwidth connections. Anything over 1Mb/sec should suffice for basic video chat (it will be blurry, but not frozen). If you both have decent bandwidth, malware on one or both of the computers could be leeching bandwidth causing the problems too. Also, sharing a WiFi internet connection with other people can also drain bandwidth.

Take a screenshot of your speed test results and post it here and have your SO do the same.

Comment

The problem could be solved by using a diferent camera, reducing the resolution and turning all its automatic adjustments of.

Thank you for your (intention to) help.

Comment

It's her internet connection. 100MB is good enough for video chat. Trust me, my gf and I had issues like this and I hated it. She upgraded to a new provider. We rarely have issues now..

Comment

Working...
                        X