No announcement yet.

City Hall vs. Chapel Wedding...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love Lucybelle's idea, but if it's not doable, then I'd pick City Hall. Hell, I picked City Hall I'm not sure how different they are in the US, but in Finland it was very intimate and neat, there were candles and everything.

What I'm saying is, please don't miss out on the opportunity to have a honeymoon
    I thought of you and the years and all the sadness fell away from me - Pink Floyd

Comment

My big sister's weddings were in the city hall both times! I thought it was beautiful, but we were able to make an appointment and we were the first people that day!

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
      First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
      Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
      Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
      Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
      Married: 1/24/2015
      Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

Thanks everyone! Your replies have helped tons. I think my SO is gonna ask her friend this weekend if he would like to get ordained for us. I've found a couple places that do it for free. And then I think it's just a matter of deciding if we want to do it in PA or N.Y...

I'm really surprised how well my SO and I have been doing at talking about wedding stuff. We usually butt heads big time and we haven't yet. We must be really serious about it. Hehe

"True love isn't about being inseparable; it’s about two people being true to each other even when they are separated."
        Married April 18th, 2015!!
        Distance Closed October 4th, 2015!!

Comment

Originally posted by CynicalQuixotic View Post
          Well, to be fair, I'm an atheist getting married in a country where only a civil marriage at City Hall is legally binding, so, I have to admit my bias here. Are either you or your SO in any way religious? (Or have family members who would kick up a fuss if you didn't get married religiously?) Which is more important to both of you, the ceremony or the honeymoon?

Also, I can't imagine there isn't a way to make an appointment at City Hall for a marriage. Is it really only first come, first serve?
          I'd do City Hall anyway just because riligious stuff weirds us out, but again, bias
          Met: Apr 2013
          Mutual interest: July 2013
          Relationship Began: November 6 2013
          First Visit (Her to Me): July 4 2014
          Second Visit (Me to Her): Jan/Feb 2015 Postponed due to sister having baby
          Second Visit! (Her to Me again): June 16 2015 - July 4 2015
          Engaged: June 29 2015 <3
          Third Visit: (Her to me, working on it) January 19 2016 - February 2 2016

Comment

Don't think I've updated on this subject but, we decided and booked a little wedding at City Hall. The Mayor is going to do it. It was cheap and just easier for everyone.

"True love isn't about being inseparable; it’s about two people being true to each other even when they are separated."

Comment

Originally posted by Mims27 View Post
              Don't think I've updated on this subject but, we decided and booked a little wedding at City Hall. The Mayor is going to do it. It was cheap and just easier for everyone.
              Sounds adorable! I hope it goes well and that you have an awesome honeymoon!
              Met: Apr 2013
              Mutual interest: July 2013
              Relationship Began: November 6 2013
              First Visit (Her to Me): July 4 2014
              Second Visit (Me to Her): Jan/Feb 2015 Postponed due to sister having baby
              Second Visit! (Her to Me again): June 16 2015 - July 4 2015
              Engaged: June 29 2015 <3
              Third Visit: (Her to me, working on it) January 19 2016 - February 2 2016

Comment

My SO and I are going back and forth on what we want to do for our wedding. City Hall (possibly) NYC, because it's cheaper and quicker. Our families would still be there it would just be less intimate. This way it would give us the opportunity to go on a honeymoon, which be both need to get away. OR A more intimate and expensive Chapel wedding and no honeymoon. Like 3 of 4 times the cost and planning.

Who has done city hall weddings? Do you recommend it? Would it be risky if we go down there and because it's first come first serve, it doesn't happen?
                Any suggestions?

I may add more info, as I go along. My head is so all over right now, I can't even think straight. lol
                My brother did City Hall in NYC, holy moly. That thing was so damn fast. I didn't even get to take pictures. Luckily, they had the "bigger" wedding a few months later, the whole shebang. But, they really wanted to get married first.

For me, my SO and I aren't religious, so I'm pretty sure if we get married (or just me in general) I'd probably do a small wedding. But, I might do it like my brother and get married officially in City Hall or something first. I thought it was really sweet when he did that. It was me, my dad, my brother, and his (now) wife.

Again, my only complaint with the City Hall thing is that it was so fast. It was like, wham, bam, thank you ma'am, I now pronounce you Husband and Wife. Lmao.

And, yes, NYC City Hall is first come, first served. We waiting at least an hour or two for my brother. It also didn't help that they got married on the day same-sex marriages/marriage licenses in NY/NYC were officially allowed. So many same-sex couples that day, I thought it was awesome.

Comment

That sounds great! I am excited for you two! You need another Daisypath counter to your signature, I wanna know when you two get married

Comment

Better? :P

ETA: Whoa! That just made it officially and scary close! lol

Comment

Much better! I know how you feel, I only have 3 more weeks to go!!

Comment

Working...
                      X