Netherlands here I come!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Netherlands here I come!!!

Just booked my ticket to the Netherlands!!! SO excited! (but also really nervous! this American girl has never been out of the country!) I will be going to school there, so we'll need weekend trips to travel. Thinking about maybe London for one and Paris for another? We'll have some opportunity go to places, but we're both poor and only have weekends to do so. Any must do trips while I'm there? We'll be mid-country, so fairly short trips to all of the surrounding countries. Need some ideas! Thanks

If you want to go to Germany, Aachen is only 15 mins from the border. And its a really nice town. It's been around as a settlement since before the romans so if you are a little bit into that sort of thing you can find loads to see there. Aachen cathedral is one of the oldest in the world. It's superpretty, has some nice shopping alleys and some cute places to have food. It's a bit of a tourist town so nothing is exactly cheap, but way cheaper than London ir Paris and really european aswell. I'd be the last person to disencourage anyone to go to London or Paris, but please consider that while its usually cheapish to get there, the places itself are super expensive food and etc wise (esp. Paris). if you decide for one of those I'd say London is superior any day haha
    Amsterdam is a must but I guess you got that covered have fun!
    Last edited by ronjaandbirk; November 2, 2014, 11:36 PM.

Comment

I would say that Paris is only more expensive if you try to buy food in the main touristy parts - as soon as you go off the beaten track a little, things are hugely more reasonable - because the French won't actually pay a lot for food that is not good quality!

I'd say spend a little time thinking about what you want to go and see, and look at the options for the two cities - or do one this time and one another to save some money and allow more time for relaxing around NL

Comment

Yay how exciting

Comment

Holland is a beautiful country with straightforward people. I'm pretty sure you'll love it. Depending on where you're planning to stay, you should definitly try and visit Amsterdam and on the other hand try Groningen, Groningen has very good looking landscapes.

I hope you have a lot of fun !

Comment

So much fun for you!! I am from the Netherlands myself. I think going to Amsterdam is a great idea, what kind of hobbies and common interests do you and your So have?

Comment

Going to eat in Paris was really very expensive when I was there in 2007 with my French class, but the grocery stores are really reasonable and I have always found a nice snack to take with me. I also always bought those huge baguettes for 50c that everyone envied me for afterwards haha. I'd say you should look into travelling expenses as I'd think that taking a weekend trip to Paris, if you don't know anyone who lives there, is going to be really expensive.

I'd visit the near proximity, like ronjaanddirk said. German cities are pretty exciting if you have never seen them, especially the old ones.

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
              First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
              Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
              Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
              Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
              Married: 1/24/2015
              Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

Hello everyone! Thanks for the replies! My goal is to get pretty much everywhere in the Netherlands. Pretty lofty goal, but I've heard it's doable since its so easy to travel across the country. Utrecht, Rotterdam, The Hague, Amsterdam, and many others are on the list so far!

Is it bad to say that I don't have any hobbies? haha. I love to read, but that's not really a "go and do" hobby. I don't really know what I want to do there either, so it's difficult! I just want to experience the country! You would think that would be easy, but apparently it's not!

One thing I do want to do is go to clubs/bars. Since I'm 20 it's not something I get to do in the US, so it's definitely on the list while i'm there. Those of you from NL, what do you wear out? My boyfriend is absolutely no help! He says it's pretty similar to what people wear here...but everyone here just wears the shortest dresses possible and the highest heels and that's not really my tastes!

Comment

Netherlands is a beautiful place there is so much peace and beauty of this place. I had been to Neatheland a few years ago with my dad. We saw so many beautiful places there. My most favorite places in the Netherlands are Van Gogh Museum, Keukenhof, Anne Frank House, Vondelpark.

Comment

Last year I had a chance to visit the Netherlands and stayed at the Amsterdam. According to me it is the nicest place in this region and has numerous tourist attractions. During my trip I explored The Rijksmuseum, Prinsengracht, Anne Frank House, Vondelpark and Herengracht. They all were fabulous places of this region. I would like to see them again.

Comment

I lived in Leiden - which is a small town about 40 minutes by train from Amsterdam. Really gorgeous! The Hauge is worth a stop too.

The lines for Anne Frank are really long, so I suggest getting on with a short tour that includes tickets to it - skip the line!

Comment

Working...
                      X