Travelling alone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travelling alone?

Has any of you ever travelled alone? How was it?
    Not only in the airplane/train/car or whatever, I mean a trip on your own.

I was thinking that I really like sometimes to go for a walk by myself or when Im home alone; in general I like being on my own. And I thought of going on a trip alone someday. My sister did it and it went well for her.

I went to Berlin by myself for a weekend when I was 20. It was the first time I had ever travelled alone. I really liked some parts of it--I generally enjoy being by myself, and I loved being able to do whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted, at entirely my own pace without having to consider anyone else's wishes/feelings/preferences/what have you. However, at the end of the day, it was kind of lonely--I kept wishing there was someone with me at least some of the time, almost to prove, in a way, that I had really been there and hadn't just dreamt it.

I'm glad that I took at least one trip alone for the experience, but, I have to admit, it's not something I would do again.

Comment

I sometimes travel alone for work, I have gone across the country and spent many a night in hotel rooms alone. I quite like it, although a weekend is usually enough. I have done a week of non stop travelling from city to city by myself and it was fun but exhausting.

Also, I travelled alone to India once - granted, I was met by my ex but it felt very much like a trip. It was the first time I ever travelled with a big plane like that.
      I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
      - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

I'm traveling to Canada on my own this new year because after going to see my SO in America i've discovered i really love to travel and going on planes to new places is really exciting to me. i'm yet to do any actual traveling of going from place to place but i really want to with a few good friends in the next few years as i think traveling to new exciting countries may be my new favourite thing to do :3
        my girls <3

Josie (SO)
        Met online ~ 17th August 2017 ~
        Met in person ~ 30th August 2017 ~
        Became official ~ 15th September 2017 ~
        Closed the distance and moved in together! ~ 18th June 2018 ~

Ash
        Met online ~ 21st November 2018 ~
        Met in person ~ 26th November 2018 ~
        Became official ~ 4th December 2018 ~
        All moved in together! ~ 30th May 2019 ~

Comment

I've traveled on my own but for more than just day-trips I've always met-up with friends, either for lodging or just to hang-out for part of the time. I'm not sure I would want to do more than a weekend traveling completely alone. I like pictures and selfies get tiring. :P
          When two hearts are meant for each other, no distance is too far,
          no time is too long, and no other love can break them apart.

Comment

I've traveled on my own in North and Middle America, Australia/New Zealand, South East Asia, Europe...all in all, all the trips put together I've traveled on my own for far more than a year...it has always been good it has always been a very concious decision. My travels have mostly not been thought through, I've couchsurfed, worked on Ranches, stayed with strangers, in Tents, in Hammocks, under the starry sky..
            Is there anything in particular you like to know?
            Last edited by Nymeria; November 18, 2014, 07:53 AM.
            happiness can be found in the darkest of places, if only you remember to turn on the light

Comment

I travel for work solo and have travelled to most of the countries in Europe that way and going to the US to see my GF or work is the same.

Although obviously when I go to see my GF, we are together, so the time there is not solo.

I have not chosen to holiday on my own though, as that is just not something that appeals to me, a holiday is a time to share with friends or family, as my work life I am mostly on my own, and eating alone in restaurant's/hotel's gets pretty boring fast ... (I've been doing this for 7 years on and off with my work)

Comment

Originally posted by p_b82 View Post
                I travel for work solo and have travelled to most of the countries in Europe that way and going to the US to see my GF or work is the same.

Although obviously when I go to see my GF, we are together, so the time there is not solo.

I have not chosen to holiday on my own though, as that is just not something that appeals to me, a holiday is a time to share with friends or family, as my work life I am mostly on my own, and eating alone in restaurant's/hotel's gets pretty boring fast ... (I've been doing this for 7 years on and off with my work)
                May I ask you what kind of job is it that makes you travel this much? I think it's such a great thing!

Comment

Originally posted by Nymeria View Post
                  Is there anything in particular you like to know?
                  Nope, I just wanted to know if this is something someone besides me thinks or actually did

Comment

I LOVE travelling alone because then I don't have to worry about loosing anyone, seeing everything and anything else that comes with having a side kick.

Comment

Originally posted by Cristiana View Post
                      May I ask you what kind of job is it that makes you travel this much? I think it's such a great thing!
                      I am an IT (software) Consultant, and I visit our client's sites.

While it might sound like it is glamorous, 6months solid of being in a different city every week, seeing only the airport/office/hotel, living out a suitcase, and only being home 10pm Friday -> 5am Monday gets pretty tiring - thankfully travel has reduced a lot this year though!

Comment

Yes I travelled alone so many times, My first trip was when I went to Banff national park alone with my friends to get bus tour packages. I enjoyed a lot with the package. The park is just so beautiful and natural.

Comment

Victoriaa! The Banff national park is one of my most favorite places of this region and I really like to spend my time there due to its alluring features. It offers the breathtaking and spectacular sights to see and fascinates the all visitors. It is also supposed to be an old park of Canada and grabs the attention of all visitors. In which time did you go there?

Comment

I went to visit my man alone. Took 13.5 hours to get there (from gas stops and bad weather) but I made it! It was tough and after 10 hours I had to stop to get a sugar rush and close my eyes for a little.

It's definitely doable. I'm doing it again in September as well as driving 8 hours next month for his birthday!

Comment

I just spent a month alone in Thailand, if was great. There are enough people also traveling alone that if I wanted to hang out with people I could meet people in hostels but I also had the freedom to do what I wanted when I wanted on my own

Comment

Working...
                              X