Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what things will you miss when you leave your country and what will you not miss?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lyonsgirl View Post
    To the bolded: Wait, you'd be moving to Texas from New Hampshire? Texas doesn't have state income tax. It has taxes on purchased goods, but no income tax - which is amazing.
    In NH I don't have a sales or an income tax. Ok, so at least TX wouldn't be so bad with no income tax LOL. I do like here if the price of something is $9.99, I pay $9.99 and not $10.23.
    To those who dream, nothing is ever far away.

​Distance is to love as wind is to fire. It blows out the little ones and fans the big ones.

Comment

Originally posted by TaraMarie View Post
      I've had two exchange students from Norway. Their families used to send me candy. The chocolate was wonderful. The salted licorice (and I love salt and licorice)....I could do without that one.
      Thank you for saying that. I am a but un -Norwegian in that I don't really like our milk chocolate as much as the dark chocolate I can get in Turkey. Salted liqurice is wonderful... We even have a candy called "the diving lady ",with pic of a female diver about to jump into the fresh salty sea/liqurice... And like a 1/3 of all our candy is just different styles of salty liqurice. Lately I found that Turkey do have a type of good hakf-dried, salted (and spicy) treat, but of course they grill that one, too! And it is very expensive here, wheras in Norway you can buy a bag of dried salty meat cut offs for very little money.

I love the obsession Turks have about fresh food, vegetables are very cheap here too so no need to be stingy.

I find I miss Norwegian newspapers and Norwegian tv, especially now off season where people very rarely speak English to me. I miss just being able to understand all. Learning a new language is so wonderfully frustrating! :-)

I really like (here in Turkey) that everyone is usually very polite and friendly. There is, to my eyes, even a certain related atmosphere to even the most public matters. I find that Norwegian society by comparison is a bit stiff and cold. But of course, people talk a lot behind backs here, and it is very compulsory to be social and flexible. I feel I have gotten used to the way Turks think about society. I think for the most part that both places has its perks...
      Last edited by differentcountries; December 4, 2014, 10:25 AM.
      I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
      - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

I will miss my mum's and grandma's cooking.
        Lakes and forests
        my vacum cleaner (seriously, I will miss it ;D)
        snow
        tasty tap water
        vegies and fruit!!!!! (This i will miss the most!)
        polish second-hands (they are way different than british)

I won't miss
        Driving on the wrong (right) side of the road, left side feels more natural to me.
        Money - constant not-having-enough-to-live-by.
        People hating others for having more/being happier than them.
        “We're all a little weird. And life is a little weird. And when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall into mutually satisfying weirdness — and call it love — true love.”
        ― Robert Fulghum, True Love

Met UK 3.08.2012-5.08.12 ->UK 1.12.12-3.12.12->PL 8.02.13-16.02.13->PL 1.06.13-9.06.13->UK 3.08.13-17.08.13->UK 26.10.2013-02.11.2013->PL 30.11.2013-08.12.2013->PL 22.03.2014-29.03.2014->UK 31.05.2014-07.06.2014->PL 06.09.2014-13.09.13->UK 20.12.2014-03.01.2015
        Closed the distance >21.03.2015
        sigpic

Comment

I would miss my family and friends (obviously) but it's so much easier to keep in touch these days.
          Also...

The NHS. I never ever take it for granted.
          The coast, I live by the sea and a love it.
          The beautiful English countryside and the stunning hues of green we get here.
          The friendly locals, I live in a tourist area and we are all friendly and chatty.
          Proper food, especially cheese. So much American cheese seems to be total crap....
          Cadburys chocolate.
          Super fresh seafood.
          Fish and chips on a freezing windy English promenade in the middle of winter.

I wouldn't miss....

Ridiculous fuel prices.
          Small houses and gardens.
          Stupidly high house prices.
          The uptight nature of some Brits.

Comment

New England Autumn colours and Nor-easter snow storms!

Comment

Im south african born - living in Australia now for 20 years and soon to move to England to be with my partner.

Things ill miss:
              1) Family
              2) Friends
              3) Job connections
              4) Big open spaces (the suburbs in Melbourne are a bit more spread out than london)
              5) Weather (although our summer was a bit poor)
              6) My car - when you think about the alone time you can spend in a car as opposed to the london underground
              7) Bigger houses
              8) The beach
              9) Chilled out cafe culture

Thats all i can think of at the moment

Comment

Alrighty here's mine.

Things I'll miss:
                - My dog (can't take her cause she's officially my mom's and she says no)
                - My brother's kids (and the rest of my family but mainly them)
                - Knowing all the backdoors and loopholes for my social security and job stuff, taxes etc.
                - Having big cities and woods And the beach all within a 2 hour driving distance.
                - Having a "Frietkot" in every village (place where they sell belgian fries and meat snacks etc to eat there or take home)
                - Belgian Chocolate
                - Hearing Flemish Dutch, and even hearing French
                - Cheap health care
                - Being a walking distance away from all basic necessities like a bank, grocery store, fresh bakery with pastries etc, butcher, pharmacy etc.
                - My mom's cooking
                - Certain veggies they don't seem to have around where my SO lives!
                - A bunch of Belgian and French cheeses.
                - The beach
                - Big shopping malls or shopping streets.

Things I won't miss:
                - The weather, even though winters/summers in VA are extreme, I like my winters feeling like winters and my summers feeling like summers.
                - My current job
                - The grumpiness here. People aren't very friendly if they don't know you in BE.
                - The ridiculous buy and rent prices on houses.
                - Having to look good. I love how where my SO lives you can just wear whatever most people don't care too much about fashion. Even though I like looking fashionable every now and again I hate the pressure of HAVING TO.
                - Pinging high to american servers (We met through online gaming!)

Can't think of much else, there's much more that I'm looking forward to when I finally move there actually!
                Met online: Somewhere before the summer of 2012.
                Mutual interest: june, july 2012.
                Official:August 2012.
                Current status: Engaged, plans for me to move to the USA, figuring out K-1 forms etc.

First met: I visited him in VA, USA. Jan 7th 2014.
                Second time:Kind of still first, he came back to Belgium with me, January 23rd 2014.
                Third time: He came back to Belgium on October 20th 2014.
                Plans: Moving to the USA and getting married end of 2015.

Comment

I love reading everyone's lists

Comment

I thought of another thing the other day, Clotted Cream from Devon or Cornwall I will miss that!

Comment

Working...
                    X