Working on closing the distance in April

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working on closing the distance in April

I've had an appointment at the immigration office yesterday and it's pretty safe to say that we can try closing the distance in late April!

My SO is still working on his master degree in electrical engineering, but he's already started writing his thesis and is making good progress. Since he's doing project work under his professor, he's also getting paid. We've both been saving up money for a few months now, so we got a basis to work with, and it'll only grow until April, when my SO will graduate. I think we will both be ready to give it a shot and close the distance by then

Thanks to the visa agreements between the US and the EU, he can stay here for 90 days total every 180 days without any additional visa. As I learned now, during that visa-free stay, you can apply for jobs and sign contracts, just not actually work. My SO has already been in touch with places interested in hiring him, but he couldn't take it further since he wasn't sure when he'd graduate at the time. Now he can follow up on those contacts he made at university and conferences. The lady at the immigration office advised me to have my SO come here on the visa-free stay and if he needs more time to get a job, he can apply for a 6 month jobseeking visa. We got a total of almost 9 months avaible to make it work, and the savings we'll have built up until April will suffice. I got an income, albeit a small one, and additionally to the savings, if worst come to worst I can ask my mom for help as an absolute last resort.

I'm a pessimistic planner and always try to plan for the worst case. I think our chances are really looking good for this, and we have options for the eventualities. He won't burn any bridges, and if need be, he can always go back home. But we are both adamant to at least give it a try now.

I can hardly wait. I try to be all reasonable and stoic, but after all is planned and clear ... I can't help it, I want to roll around like a happy dofus.

~
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle
    The hands of the many must join as one
    And together we'll cross the river

I know how you feel girl!

Congrats on finding a way to close the distance - hopefully he will find a job there and the move will be permanent!

April is only 5 months away!
    Met Online : July 2013
    Met in person : April - May 2014 (3 wks)
    2nd visit : June - August 2014 (2 months)
    3rd visit : December - Jan (2wks)
    Proposal : December 2014
    Closed distance : February 2015
    Married : April 5, 2015

Comment

How exciting!
      It's a huge inspiration to hear stories like yours, especially since my SO and I are in a similar situation
      I hope everything goes according to plan so you two can be together

Comment

Thanks a lot, you two Time will tell how easy it'll be for my SO to get a job, but the EU is yearning for engineers, Germany in particular, so I'm hopeful. My SO has even been in touch with a professor from a technical university here in Hamburg and she told him that with his resume, he'll easily find a job. We are really lucky that he's in a technical field, things would be much trickier if he was an arts student or something. Also, engineering is a field where it won't matter that much that he doesn't speak German well yet.

At the moment, I'm writing a proper gameplan for us to work with. When to apply where for what and such. Germany is madly in love with its sluggish bureaucracy, so I'd rather not be negatively surprised by anything.

~

Comment

It sounds great that his education is in demand in Germany good luck with the process
          I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
          - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Figured I'd give a little update - Everything is on track, still, and it's dawning on me, slowly but steadily, that my SO will be here in less than two months. I don't think I will fully believe it until he's in my arms and doesn't leave anymore, though!

My SO's master thesis is progressing very well. The best thing is that we won't even have to rely on it, though - A meeting my SO had with his graduate advisor revealed that he qualifies for two out of the three options for earning the master degree, and the thesis is just the fastest and nicest option. If, against all odds, things go down the crapper with the thesis, he still qualifies for the project option and earns his degree pretty much automatically 2-3 months later. It would be a bit of an issue to wrangle, since it would definitely require us to get the jobseeking visa in that case, but it woud be doable. He's still investing all efforts into the thesis at the moment, but it's a huge load off our minds that we have a plan B.

It's weird - I'm putting all our planning together, booking the flight, arranging our life here, and I feel almost guilty about how right it feels. We've been together for a bit under a year, and it's like I should feel guilty for doing this so early, but I actually don't. Now is the perfect time - My SO is about to finish his degree and he's fed up with life in the US and wants to move to Germany either way. I have the money, the room and the will to make this happen, and so does he. If things really don't work out, he still wants to be in the country. I'm a pessimistic person who always aims to plan ahead and be prepared for the worst, but I still really want to give this a shot. And I have to say, I'm stoked. Every passing day is uplifting and encouraging to me.

~

Comment

And you're right NOT to feel guilty! The time is right and the situation couldn't be more favourable. Hope the planning is going well.
              I'm so happy for you guys and I hope the next two months will go by smoothly

Comment

Congrats...how exciting

Comment

Congrats! That's really exciting. April will be here in no time!
                  Keep us updated on the job search.
                  Is it very difficult for EU/German employers to emply a US citizen?

Być tam, zawsze tam, gdzie Ty.

Comment

Glad to hear you are both so positive about it all, and while 'wise' to have a plan B, hope everything continues nice and smoothly for you both, so that you don't need it

Comment

Oh my gosh. This is great news I'm really going to be keeping my fingers crossed for you both. So excited for you
                      "Sometimes you just have to let art flow over you."

Comment

That is awesome! April is so close!!

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
                        First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
                        Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
                        Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
                        Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
                        Married: 1/24/2015
                        Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

Eeeek, how exciting!! I'm so happy for you guys

Comment

Thank you all so so much for the encouraging words!! We're doing our best, and it's really encouraging to see that slowly but steadily, we are getting there!

Originally posted by Dziubka View Post
                            Congrats! That's really exciting. April will be here in no time!
                            Keep us updated on the job search.
                            Is it very difficult for EU/German employers to emply a US citizen?
                            My SO really has the incredible advantage of being in a field that is very sought after in Germany. Only 2% (!) of all engineers in Germany are unemployed. We have good education for engineers, but our engineers leave the country to work elsewhere. The EU even came up with a new visa, the Blue Card, to attract skilled workers like doctors and STEM field people. The IRS (US tax organization) is making it very hard for US citizens to have bank accounts overseas, due to stupid new laws that they impose on banks internationally, but that will be the biggest obstacle, really. Engineering jobs are often offered in English and his skillset is very sought after. We're so lucky!

~

Comment

Oh right, I think I heard about the Blue Card before (I know nothing about visa issues, because we're an EU couple )
                              That sounds pretty perfect! I'll keep my fingers crossed for his job search.

Być tam, zawsze tam, gdzie Ty.

Comment

Working...
                              X