Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK to Canada, help?

Hello Travelers!

I need your help. My SO lives in England and is flying here to Canada in February to come visit me for 10 days. We both have never traveled outside our country so its a learning process for both of us! Can you give us any tips or share your own experiences? What does he need to bring besides his passport and some sort of I.D. Will Border Security give him a hard time about coming to visit me?

So many questions, i know. but i'm lost and confused!
    Last edited by jamidee; December 17, 2014, 05:56 PM.

He only needs to bring with him what you would use, so if its good weather and you're in shorts he might want to bring shorts but if its raining and you'd wear a coat out get him to bring that. Its mostly weather appropriate stuff and daily products such as toothbrush, money etc. Make sure he doesn't forget his tickets too! I haven't been to Canada but I have been abroad and they don't bother to ask why you have entered the country, if they did that to everyone it would take hours! Plus there is nothing wrong with visiting someone so he'll be fine

Comment

Originally posted by Unigirl View Post
      I haven't been to Canada but I have been abroad and they don't bother to ask why you have entered the country, if they did that to everyone it would take hours! Plus there is nothing wrong with visiting someone so he'll be fine
      In the US, they actually do. For each visit they ask you 'what is the purpose of your stay?' When I told them I'd be visiting my (then) SO, I'd get asked if we intended to get married, and more little things. Yes the conversation takes about 3 minutes and there is no reason to worry, but they do actually ask everyone why they are entering the country. Not sure about Canada, but just thought I'd put that out there. As long as he has a return ticket and answers the question truthfully, he's fine. You don't have to worry about things like a tourist visa, which is nice. (I think! Correct me if I'm wrong!)

Comment

I always get asked what I'm doing in Canada by Border Agents. The questions are always along the lines of "What are you doing here?" "How long are you staying?" "How much money do you have while traveling?" "What do you do for a living?" The strangest question I've ever had to answer was "What does your SO and roommates do for a living?" I have always been honest with them and I've never had a problem getting in. I've only had to show my return ticket once, but I make sure I have it with me everytime. Don't over stress about the agents. I always do and then I always feel stupid about it because it's an easy process.

Comment

Ive done this trip and had secondary questioning on my first ever trip out of the uk. I'm going to tell you what they asked me to provide when I arrived.
          Make sure he has enough funds to support himself, travel insurance is cheap and a must. Have an idea of things you will see together like museums,landmarks etc. Tell him to carry your contact details (full address and cell number) in his carry on in case they ask for it and if he's working a letter from his employer stating his expected return date.
          Above all else, be honest about why he's visiting. They can keep a record of the reasons for entry and you don't want a silly little lie to ruin any visa applications further done the road.
          I'm sure you won't have any issues but its better to have all these things and not need them then to need them and not have them.
          As long as there is air in my lungs... there is a chance

Comment

Wow, thank you all so much! This really helped calmed my nerves and answer all my questions. Its hard being first time travelers and not knowing what to expect. We also want everything to go as smoothly as possible so knowing what to bring/expect in advance really helps.

Thank you all again!

Comment

jamidee! Canada is the fabulous country and it has the great and astonishing features and attractions. I have been there twice a times in my life. Actually I am a tourist and the basic purpose to went there was just to see that country so, when they got my answers so they did not asked me anything else. I easily spent my time there and during my trip I visited many famous and magnificent places of this country including the Niagara Falls. I am sure you will also have a great time to spend.

Comment

Working...
              X