Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any ideas for places to meet in-between Oz and UK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any ideas for places to meet in-between Oz and UK?

Hi All,

Hope this finds you well.

My gf lives in Oz and I'm in the UK. She is heading over here in Apr and I intend to spend Christmas & New Year this year over there (she'll come here the following festive season).

We've about 3 years until we can close the gap and I will hopefully settle over there, we're hoping to meet up at least 3 times per year during that time and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of where we could meet each other that isn't the UK or Oz?

An important consideration is that fact that we are a same sex couple which means places such as Dubai are out of the equation.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

xx

Ooo curious about answers to this thread, as me and my partner were also thinking of a 'halfway holiday' (UK & NZ).

We've not made any solid plans yet, mostly just brain storming, but Asia is probably a big contender for us. Maybe Thailand or something. If Aus is anything like NZ, flying from there is more expensive than it'd cost you flying from the UK (eg. NZ > UK cost me £1000, vs UK > NZ costing £500). So it might work out more economical for you to fly a little further from the UK rather than an exact 'halfway'.

South America could also be a good bet. Bearing in mind I've never been to either there or SE Asia so have no idea if same-sex would be any kind of issue, but they're interesting in-between places for holidays~

Alternatively if you'd just want some peace and intimacy, you could look at the Pacific Islands. Not really a halfway point, you'd be flying quite some ways, but definitely a good cheaper option. Pretty sure both Aus and the UK can get decent deals on holidays there, including accommodation and all.

Comment

Thanks Verotten,

We've been thinking Thailand and that's definitely on our list. I've also thought about the States but not looked info prices. I'll check out some of your suggestions and hopefully some other lovely people will be able to help us out with some more suggestions. I'm happy to fly almost anywhere, as is my gf so if it's not half way that's ok too.

How often do you get to see your partner seeing as your even further apart than I am from mine?

Comment

Not a problem, happy to throw some more ideas into your brainstorm! Let me know if you decide on any places that really stand out to you as a good in-between holiday, I'd love to know.

I think our biggest gap apart was 9 months, as I was saving money and applying for a youth mobility visa for the UK.
        That's almost come to an end, and I'm not sure how long our next gap will be as he then needs to save quite a bit for his working visa to NZ. He's being optimistic and thinking 6mths, I'm thinking more like a year before he'll be able to move over and (hopefully) have us together for good. The halfway holiday for us will be to bridge the gap if it's longer than 6 months.

Wish I'd thought of it sooner, would've saved us a lot of money if we'd met inbetween more, plus we could've seen each other more often! LDR between the UK and Oceania are a heck of a moneysink (and trip), huh? You two have definitely got the right idea. x)

How long are you planning for your holidays together to be? A couple of weeks at a time?
        Last edited by Verotten; March 2, 2015, 04:15 AM.

Comment

Tbh I never thought I'd find myself in an LDR and falling for someone on the other side of the world. I'll definitely have a bit more of a think and get Mel to also and I'll get some ideas down on here. Mels coming here in Apr for 10 days and I'll do 21 (ish) at xmas/new year. As for the inbetween I imagine that'll be 9 days max including weekend either side. We've thought about maybe trying to see each other 4 times a year but not sure that'll work due to finances and also what type of quality time will we have if it is only a week here and there. I'd prefer quality over quantity. Travelling such distances certainly takes it out of you and the jet lag can play havoc for a while afterwards.

Hopefully some others will see this post and help us both out with more ideas for holiday destinations.

Comment

Working...
          X