WHV: Finding a Job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WHV: Finding a Job

So, I've been here for a total of 3.5 months, and I still have yet to find a job. I'm going crazy. My boyfriend works full time, and I just sit at home cleaning and cooking (which I do enjoy, over doing nothing). With the work limitations everyone has rejected me. Every single job. Even McDonald's. How does that even happen when I have three years experience in fast food?

However, I just found four openings for Pizza Hut Shift Manager/Team Member jobs and applied to all four. Positive thoughts and prayers (if you're the praying type) would be very welcomed. I'm desperate to work absolutely anywhere.

Has anyone else found it hard to get a job on the WHV? How long did it take to get it, and where did you end up working?

What does your resume/cv look like? If it is a poor design or you have too much irrelevant info on it that could have something to do with why you haven't found work.

Comment

What's a WHV? I'm too lazy to google.

Comment

I see you're in my state. It's real tough here to get work at the moment. A friend of mine got made redundant last year, has 8 years experience and still is yet to find work. I guess I'd say, hang in there and keep applying for everything you can. Hopefully something will come up soon. Fingers crossed.

Comment

Originally posted by 80anthea View Post
          What's a WHV? I'm too lazy to google.
          Working Holiday Visa (I had to look it up)
          To those who dream, nothing is ever far away.

​Distance is to love as wind is to fire. It blows out the little ones and fans the big ones.

Comment

I second snow_girl. Different countries look for different things, so make sure to have your SO help you with your resume to bring it up to AUS standards.

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
            First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
            Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
            Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
            Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
            Married: 1/24/2015
            Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

I was job hunting here for nearly 2 years. Difference being I'd come straight from university studies and had no work experience. I ended up with about a week's work with a home company, 3 weeks work at a bigger family business (someone was leaving, they were training me to take on their position, they decided not to leave, not enough work for me, got the sack). I got forced onto work for the dhole at a second hand store, which was completely out of my league and what I wanted to do and where I had skills (admin). Spent a month and a half there, before passing very high test requirements to get into the best transcription company in the state. Was also fired after my 3 weeks training because I was getting 95-97% accuracy instead of 98.25%. Got put back into work for the dhole for a single day, making crafts and learning how to clay and knit and useless crap. I'm all for work for the dhole, but find it absolute waste of time when there's no where to do your work for the dhole except Salvos or whatever, it's an absolute waste of skills. I had been to uni, and typed 100wpm. Anyway, got into a temporary job in September with a recruitment agency working for the government, have been employed ever since as our temporary contracts keep getting extended and just found out last week it's now extended til end of June. You will get there. Eventually. Hang in there. Best of luck.

"My arms will be your prison" - My Boyfriend [♥] Our LDR Blog!

Started Talking - October 2012
              Started Dating - 08.11.12
              First Meeting - 08.12.13 - 39 days together
              Second Meeting - 16.12.15 - 31 days together

Rosetta Stone Progress
              ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
              22 / 60

Comment

I don't know if Australia has them, but in the US we have temp agencies. They are companies that work with you to place you in temporary positions with companies. If the company really likes you and your work, they can buy out your contract from the temp agency. It's how I got my job when I moved to CA. I did one temp job and when that contact ended, I got hired full time by the second job I temped at.
                To those who dream, nothing is ever far away.

​Distance is to love as wind is to fire. It blows out the little ones and fans the big ones.

Comment

Originally posted by snow_girl View Post
                  What does your resume/cv look like? If it is a poor design or you have too much irrelevant info on it that could have something to do with why you haven't found work.
                  My boyfriend helped out with mine. He said American resumes are too short, so we lengthened mine to be exactly two pages. I think it has more to do with checking the "I'm authorized to work here on a Work and Holiday Visa..." and somehow immediately sends me a rejection email.

Comment

Originally posted by Redheart14 View Post
                    I see you're in my state. It's real tough here to get work at the moment.
                    Ugh! Right? Lots of our friends who have Master's degrees are having trouble finding work. Out of curiosity I peeked at a job search website from back home, and everyone is hiring. Just my luck too! But thanks. I'll keep trying.

Comment

You'll get something soon. Just keep owing back and let people know how keen you are. Hopefully it'll pay off.

Comment

Have you looked for a job in the informal sector? (ex. Housecleaning, babysitting, etc). You might have a lot more luck in that area if the job market is so poor!

Comment

My SO was here for a year on a work and holiday visa. He applied for all sorts of jobs and never even got a single call back or interview. Mostly I think the VISA part puts most places off.
                          Together since: Feb 23rd 2005.
                          First met: June 13th 2006

Comment

Working...
                          X