Calling cards..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling cards..

So I'd been buying calling cards to call my boyfriend when he is on the way to work as I don't like him messing with skype when he is driving, I'd never forgive myself if he had a car accident because of me. But the calling cards have been ripping me off. I'm supposed to get 700 mins and they say I get 500. Yesterday I had 80 mins and I used 40 today it tells me I have 14 and cuts me off after 7. I can't get hold of the customer services and I don't want to spend anymore money with their company.

I was looking at skype and they have a call plan where I could call his cellphone for £6 a month from skype. Which also means I could technically use it on my cellphone if I am out too as I have skype on my phone (although the signal may suck). I know people have said things about viber recently too.

Basically looking for advice how other international couples make calls. I can't change my service provider until August and I'll be away until September so I'll be changing it when I get back. So cheap ways to make phone calls abroad without changing my service provider (stuck in contract until august)? Or skype plan it is! lol
    Engaged Dec 2015!! Visa approved June 2016 . Married July 18th 2016 <3

Home is where the heart is and my home will always be with my love.
    All the way from England to the USA.

We use skype. He used to call my phone and i had to get an international calling put on my plan for $15 a month.
    Primarily though i enjoy skype, my phone has data on my way to work, i have wifi at work and at my house so there's nothing to really worry about.
    However, skype also sells minute cards to call another members phone. We sell them at my work so they should be available at walmart as well.
    "We are beings attracted to the essence of hope, and life is the all encompassing hope that everything can change; that everything can be better."

Comment

Seeing you're from UK

https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/sim-cards/international-sim

It's a sim card but in my head it has a good offer (0,02/minute to USA) (You have almost an hour of talking for a pound) and when I topped up £15 I got 3000 O2 texts, 3000 O2 minutes and 100MB data

pretty good deal I think.
      “We're all a little weird. And life is a little weird. And when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall into mutually satisfying weirdness — and call it love — true love.”
      ― Robert Fulghum, True Love

Met UK 3.08.2012-5.08.12 ->UK 1.12.12-3.12.12->PL 8.02.13-16.02.13->PL 1.06.13-9.06.13->UK 3.08.13-17.08.13->UK 26.10.2013-02.11.2013->PL 30.11.2013-08.12.2013->PL 22.03.2014-29.03.2014->UK 31.05.2014-07.06.2014->PL 06.09.2014-13.09.13->UK 20.12.2014-03.01.2015
      Closed the distance >21.03.2015
      sigpic

Comment

If you use hangouts you can call any US non toll number for free if you download the dialler plugin from the play store.

It is a little reduced quality compared to hangout to hangout - but it means they don't have to use data on their end.

I used it with my Ex most the time, until she got a larger data package (well her previous ex did as he still pays for her phone for some reason!)

Comment

I'm with O2 and pay £10 a month for unlimited international calls to the USA.

Comment

On the rare occasion that I called my SO on his phone rather than on his Skype account, I found charging Skype very useful. Basically I added a few euro to my Skype account and could call for a pretty good price per minute until that budget was used up. You can charge your account just once or make it a recurring thing, depending on what you need.

~
            It'll take a lot more than words and guns
            A whole lot more than riches and muscle
            The hands of the many must join as one
            And together we'll cross the river

Comment

I've just reread the original post. Using a phone at all is dangerous whilst driving. Why would a call rather than skype be any different?

Comment

Originally posted by 80anthea View Post
                I've just reread the original post. Using a phone at all is dangerous whilst driving. Why would a call rather than skype be any different?
                He has hands free and because he would mess with skype trying to call me when it cut out. I got the calling card so he can talk hands free and not be messing with skype as it worries me.

Thanks for the other ideas.

Comment

You might want to read this https://www.nsc.org/learn/NSC-Initia...fographic.aspx and maybe send him a copy too. Hands free has been shown in many studies to be no safer than holding a phone.

I understand that with time difference etc finding a time to talk is very difficult. We too have that problem which is why we end up talking quickly on work breaks most of the time. However, remember that you're not just putting him at risk but the other road users around him.

Comment

Thanks Athena. I'll talk to him about it.

Comment

Working...
                    X