Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things to get used to after closing the distance

Hi folks!
    so my SO and I closed the distance on Saturday. I am an Aussie who moved from living in NY. Am here on an ESTA after getting laid off from my job in NY and losing my Visa. I am currently job hunting, so fingers crossed for that.
    I found that after closing the distance, our relationship already feels different. As in, we aren't making the most of every minute like beforehand. Which I suppose it entirely normal?

Either way, my question is, what are the things you had to get used to after closing the distance that you weren't expecting?

Mine is my partner's snoring for sure - I just about wanna whack him over the head right now coz he sounds like a lawn mower!
    I'll be seeing you again.

We haven't closed the distance yet, but are currently in a long visit which feels an awful lot like closing the distance for the time being. The biggest difference that I've noticed is that you really see your SO's quirks. You get so comfortable with the other being around all the time that you don't even think about it before doing disgusting things. For example, my SO refused to fart in front of me before we moved in together. Now? I'm begging him to (please, for the love of God!) control himself every once in a while! It's all pretty little stupid things like that, but the dynamics of a relationship certainly change when you are together all the time!

Comment

I'd say, most of the things were just noticing how things are different in the US than in Austria and then learning the correct way of doing them, for example where you put the address on envelopes, how you deposit money, self checkouts, holiday related things like when you buy a tree and set it up, basic etiquette. I feel like, when it comes to the relationship, there might have been things I needed to get used to, but they must have been so minor that I forgot most of them.

EDIT:
      Big things that I am still getting used to: calendars and the imperial system. Having calenders shift by a day keeps making me misread the dates, but I'll get it someday! I'm getting better at the imperial system, it's just hard to imagine sometimes.
      Last edited by snow; May 20, 2015, 04:36 PM.

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
      First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
      Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
      Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
      Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
      Married: 1/24/2015
      Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

Originally posted by snow View Post
        EDIT:
        Big things that I am still getting used to: calendars and the imperial system. Having calenders shift by a day keeps making me misread the dates, but I'll get it someday! I'm getting better at the imperial system, it's just hard to imagine sometimes.
        I totally feel for you. Being in Europe for a while I'm having the exact same thing but opposite! I can't read military time (When the hell is 15:30!?), I do a double take every time I see a calendar, and I have to convert all of my recipes from cups and tablespoons to grams! America is a pain sometimes

Comment

We haven't closed the distance yet, but since we do often/long visits we do get a feel of closing the distance may feel like.

For us, obviously the language is different. I have struggled to learn even basic Turkish, but I am getting there When he was here he was listening to spoken language a lot and practicing Norwegian pronounciation, he is actually quite good. I picture us becoming a multi -language family, because he has two mother tounges as well I had a hard time getting used to how everyone wants to chat up, everywhere, and strangers wanting to talk about stuff I consider private. Now I am totally used to it, to the point of thinking Norwegian cab drives do too little small talk! SO appreciates Norwegian reluctance to small talk, which puts less preassure on him to be social when he doesn't want to. He is very exited about small stuff in Norway that he is not used to, like the car tunells! He misses Efes beer when in Norway, but I was told today it is sold through the alcohol "monopoly" (where specialty brands and alcohol stronger than 5 % is sold). I had a hard time wrapping my head around the Turkish prices and brands, why many grocery stores don't sell vegetables (because of the Monday market where people buy enough for the whole week) and even the logic in stores (what kind of stores sell combos like erotic underwear, radios and coloring books for children? Is the store with backpacks on display in the window really a book store or do they sell clothes? Etc). Norwegian life is very planned, Turkish life rather impulsive. I want both of us to get comfortable with bothways of being, as I hope that even after we live together in one place, we will be a bit nomadic and that the family will go to the other country a lot.

And... He smokes cigarettes in the bathroom. And eats large ammounts of honey straight from the jar
          Last edited by differentcountries; May 24, 2015, 01:43 PM.
          I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
          - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

I thought you couldn't job hunt on an ESTA?

Comment

Originally posted by MissingMyDutchLove View Post
              I totally feel for you. Being in Europe for a while I'm having the exact same thing but opposite! I can't read military time (When the hell is 15:30!?), I do a double take every time I see a calendar, and I have to convert all of my recipes from cups and tablespoons to grams! America is a pain sometimes
              It's gonna take time, but I'm slowly getting better... Before I left I made myself a converting list of the basic ingredients for baking, so I don't have to look them up online every time :P

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
              First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
              Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
              Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
              Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
              Married: 1/24/2015
              Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

Not illegal just not encouraged. Illegal to job hunt on B1/B2
                I'll be seeing you again.

Comment

The snoring! Every single time I have trouble getting used to the snoring, it's so loud and varied and I'm a light sleeper so it's not easy :P
                  Together since: Feb 23rd 2005.
                  First met: June 13th 2006

Comment

Working...
                  X