Traveling By Train and Plane For The First Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traveling By Train and Plane For The First Time

We finally planned another visit, and this time I will be traveling alone for the first time in my life. It's not enough that I'm traveling alone, but I will be traveling by train and plane for the first time. My plane ticket includes an Amtrak ride to Newark International, and I will have a two hour layover (probably much less than that once I actually get over to the airport) until I get on the plane to fly to Grand Rapids, MI. Once there I will be reunited with my fiance, and I couldn't be more excited...yet I'm terrified at the same time.

What can I expect? Are train stations easy to navigate? Is it possible the train will be late? What about finding the gate to board the flight? What are terminals and how do I know which one to get off at?

Any advice would be appreciated! I'm slowly starting to worry about everything going wrong since I've never done this before. I'm more scared over getting to the plane than actually flying.
    Met Online: 2009-10
    Started Talking: Jan 25, 2011
    Relationship Started: June 25, 2011
    First Meeting: June 9, 2014
    Engaged: June 12, 2014
    Second Visit and Road Trip: Sep 3, 2014

I don't know anything about the specific station that you mention, but I traveled for my first time this year and continue to do so in random European countries that I don't speak the language. It is remarkably easy to travel normally. There may be some confusing times, but just keep cool and calm and make sure you have plenty of time to get to the train/airplane so that you don't feel rushed. Most train stations/airports have pretty decent signs, so just keep following the signs. If you still don't know where you're going/what train you're getting on/etc, you can always ask someone who works there. There normally is an information booth in every train station and they can normally help straighten you out! Good luck!

Comment

I've gone by train a few times and found them very easy to navigate. There were multiple employees and information stations around should you have any questions or need directions. Trains are much more on schedule than planes tend to be, so make sure to give yourself plenty of time. I actually love traveling by train and wish it was less expensive because I would much prefer it over flying.

When you arrive at the airport, get to your airlines terminal. From there, you will see the signs for departures. Your gate should be listed on your ticket. Once you get through security, you will see signs telling you which gates in are in which directions. Just make sure to always listen to the announcements as sometimes they change the gates. You are going to do just fine.
      To those who dream, nothing is ever far away.

​Distance is to love as wind is to fire. It blows out the little ones and fans the big ones.

Comment

You will do fine. If you don't know where to go....ask! As far as Newark airport......easy peasy! Once you get through security there will be sings telling you which gate to go to (if it's not printed on your boarding pass). Don't stress!
        sigpic

I love him. Forever. And every day after that.

Comment

Working...
        X