Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ideas? Or Suggestions? I don't really know, honestly.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ideas? Or Suggestions? I don't really know, honestly.

My brother-in-law is getting married next weekend. I offered to help out if they want it, and, not surprisingly, they took me up on it. (I'm enlisting my SO on this project, so, hahaha, sucker.)

Essentially what they've asked me to do is make a game for the reception.

Here are the ideas I was given:
    interesting fact about "several" family members, get them printed on cards. Names will be on the back.
    have a board (cork, magnet, or velcro) with pictures on it. People will then try and match the "fun fact" with the pictures.

I think the whole point behind this "game" is to be an ice breaker between their families. Okay, cool. (Since a party isn't enough?) Anyway, I'm not sure if people will actually take the time to gather around a board to do this... Personally, if I'm playing a game at a party, I want to do it on my time so I can eat/drink when I want. Maybe I'm completely off base here - but, taking her ideas...

What about instead of a board we do Bingo or individual sheets that would be small versions of the board (except you'd draw lines)?

They would both use the fun facts and in Bingo, you'd have to get the person who belongs to the fun fact to initial your card. Or, with the individual sheets, you can just draw the lines. We'd have an answer key somewhere for reference. Or if they wanted to make announcements or something, they could. The other part of the reason why I'm thinking about suggesting this is because: what on earth would newly-weds do with this game board afterward? They're not going to take it. I certainly don't want it, and I'm fairly certain no one else will either. So, I'll spend $40+ on this thing that maybe 5-10 people will play and then we'll toss? Meh.

So, I'm turning to you, LFAD. I'm looking for ideas that follow along her same path (because I'm trying really hard not to tell her that no one will play) and uses a similar idea, but, maybe... I dunno, make it a little more fun? (If that's at all possible?)

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
    Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
    Progress: Working on it.

At my friend's wedding the bridal party put together a "newly weds" game where the groom and bride had to answer questions about each other. I thought it sounded lame but it was actually really funny! Since it was an adult-only wedding they asked things like "what is the bride's bra size?"

Or if you want the family involved do it like Family Feud style where the family guesses what the bride and groom answered? All you need is some small whiteboards and markers, or make your own "white boards" by laminating paper. Or forget that and just give out various pieces of paper.

Comment

I've played Bingo at a wedding reception before, it was quite amusing and helped to fill the gap before everyone got drunk and the food arrived (British wedding tend to mainly be about the alcohol!) . We had something similar to this:

Comment

I just picture my cousins wedding where we weren't alllowed to have alcohol until after 9pm and they had so many games, like the one where they ask the couple a question and they raise either their shoe or their partners shoe if they think the question applies to them. It was a neat game but it went on way too long and my side of the family that was pissed about not drinking all looked like they were dying watching this sober.

Comment

My brother in law and his wife had a game at their wedding where people in their own time could guess fun facts about the couple. Like, where did they study and stuff like that. It was a small path you had to walk.

The toastmaster of my friend's wedding made up small games and quizes. Some were about the bride and groom, some about general knowledge (so the couple didn't answer themselves). I think there were candy awards for the right answer.

If at all possible, a carioke machine (or simply a microphone to sing along to the band or track is nice... Late in the evening.

Writing songs about the couple and make everyone sing them.
          Last edited by differentcountries; June 29, 2015, 06:12 PM.
          I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
          - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

I'm bad at wedding stuff. But I saw this once, thought it was cool and your thread reminded me of it. Maybe it will be useful.

https://offbeatbride.com/2014/03/wed...e#.UxiCJ_ldVEA

Good luck with it all
            Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

Thanks for the input, ladies... they ended up modifying the game they want and I'm just going with it. I'm not sure anyone will play it, but, whatever. Not my wedding, right?

I am, however, going to be putting together a "date night ideas"/guest book thing for them. I have the pages all designed, and my MIL will print them on heavyweight card stock. I'm anticipating anywhere from 15-40 (or more) pages will go into this "book". I want the guests to be able to write on the cards during the party, so they can't be pre-laminated. And I don't want to bring them all back, laminate them, and then mail the thing to them. So, my question is: how should I link them all together? I'm thinking about punching a hole (maybe 2) in each card and then getting hinged metal rings. Maybe?

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
              Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
              Progress: Working on it.

Comment

I think rings is a nicer idea than just having kinkos bind it! Make sure to make a nice cover. Also, I really don't think it needs to be laminated.

Comment

Working...
                X