Customs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Customs.

I'm a bit worried about US customs this time, mainly because it's my first time traveling with my daughter and she is a US citizen (I'm not.)
    We are staying for 6 weeks and I have access to my savings account which has a lot of money in, plus I have £400 spending money for our 6 weeks (on my cash card) and then money which I have set aside to book my xmas flights. Do you think that will be ok to prove I can support myself for my trip? We have return tickets and I only have leave to take my daughter out of the country until September so I am assuming that would prove as substantial evidence that I have no intention of overstaying as I could get in a lot of legal trouble if we don't return (it's a legal court document).
    Engaged Dec 2015!! Visa approved June 2016 . Married July 18th 2016 <3

Home is where the heart is and my home will always be with my love.
    All the way from England to the USA.

It sounds ok but the more papers the better. Like house ownership, flat rental contract, job contract etc.
    I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
    - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

I'm not sure how it works with her being a minor and you not being a US citizen, but when I came back from my visit abroad and went through customs it was literally a two second thing. I scanned my passport and it took a picture of me and then an official looked at it, asked how long I was abroad, and if I was bringing any unauthorized products back with me. After that, I was done! You might get more questions with your daughter being a US citizen, but I highly doubt that they would deny her access since she is a US citizen and you've already been through customs before, so clearly there aren't any red flags on their end. I wouldn't worry too much about it as long as you have the proper paperwork for yourself and your daughter.

Comment

Thanks, I know I'm probably over thinking it (I am a compulsive over thinker). I have been to the US about 8 times and I have always left on time, I wouldn't be crazy enough to even risk it. It's just because you hear all sorts of horror stories, I can take my tenancy agreement and work contract. I'll get them out the cupboard and put them with my other 3 folders of paperwork that I am taking lol. I know they wouldn't deny her access, it's me I'm worried about, I thought they could see me as an over stay risk as I will have to tell them who I am going to see (because otherwise my daughter will and it'll look bad if I lie) and also because my daughter is a US citizen. But I am hoping they will just see that I have left every other time I have come to visit and that just because my daughter is with me doesn't make it any different. I might take my aunts wedding invite too as that is 2 days after I come back.

Comment

I think you'll be fine - as long as you're honest of course, and sounds like you have more than enough evidence should you need it.

I've already travelled over to the US twice this year and have done so at least once a year for most of my life. Last time I stayed 6 weeks after staying almost 3 weeks 2 months prior - I was expecting questioning and requiring evidence, but after my passport was scanned I wasn't asked a thing. I actually asked "..is that it?!" and the officer just told me yes and to go ahead through the gates. I've only been asked questions a couple of times before, once who I was staying with and once what my occupation was. I always get singled out at security without fail (probably due to travelling alone & dressing a bit alternative), but I always abide by the rules so have never had issues from that either.

Going again for almost 6 weeks in a couple of months time, hopefully all should be okay. I will have spent just over double the amount of time at home than the time I stayed my last visit, I heard it could only become an issue with immigration if you spend more than half to a third of your time there in a yearly period. So doesn't sound like you have anything to worry about in your situation!

Comment

I actually arrived in July. I went though pre-customs in Dublin and I didn't have an issue. The customs guy asked who we were going to see, where we were staying and then asked my daughter the same questions. He didn't seem bothered at all and just let us though. He didn't even ask to see proof of my residency order or anything like that. I seriously stressed out and packed every piece of paperwork I might be asked for and he asked to see nothing. But then before my febuary trip I used to fly to the US regulary. I made sure these trips wouldn't add up to longer than my 90 days.

Comment

Sorry, totally missed that this was an older post! Glad you had no issues

Comment

Thats ok, I have to go back in september and I'll be coming back again in December so feel a bit more confident about it for next time.

Comment

Working...
                X