Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surprise visit

Hello everyone!
    I'm not posting for anything happening any time soon, just something that I've always been thinking about so... you never know, I might actually do that at some point. So I thought getting opinions from others in a LDR like me could be of great advice.

I've been with my SO for 2 years now, we live in different countries (2 hours flight, so it's not too bad) and in these 2 years, we never got to celebrate my or his bday together. It's something important for me, cos I'd love to spend my bday with him and I'd love to be able to do something special for him on his bday, even just something simple like bringing him breakfast to bed or things like that. But as I said, in these 2 years it was never possible, due to the difficulty of making everything fit with my university exams (both of our bdays are in exams months) and his days off. Last year I managed to be with him till a couple of days before his bday, but not on THAT day. Obviously he said he was very happy being with me those days, even if it wasnt exactly on his birthday, cos a bday isnt much more than a normal day to him and so on. And it's great, don't get me wrong, but to me it's just not the same. I know it might be silly to someone who doesnt give it that much importance as my SO.

Anyway, fast forward. Next month I'm going to his country, and the month after it's his bday. Normally, we get to meet every 2-3 months, and alternate visits, so according to our "normal pattern of visits" we won't be together on his bday. But I was thinking of organising a surprise visit, cos this year around his birthday i wont have exams (yay!). And the fact he lives with his sister would definitely be a HUGE help for organising the surprise, if i decide to do it. The only thing is he is starting a new job next month and he doesnt know himself how it will be with getting days off. Theorically, it should be better than it was with his previous job, but of course, until you actually have to deal with it, nothing is 100% sure.
    Plus, there's a little thing that worries me (and thats the main reason why i thought of hearing what your opinion is): would he appreciate it? My head says "Of course he would!", and this question actually never crossed my mind in the beginning. But when I happened to voice it to some of my friends (who arent in a LDR, if it matters) they were all like "that's risky", "i wouldnt do it", "he could take it wrong" and things like that. And honestly, it made me wonder if it's something I didnt think about and i should consider instead.

So... what's your opinion? Have you ever organised/received a surprise visit? And how was it?
    Sorry for the long post, i always get taken away a bit when i start writing ahah

I seriously can't see a single reason for not doing it!

Even if he has to work that day- making him breakfast and waiting for him to come back from work would be amazing!
    If you can afford it and have time, and maybe his sister would help- DO IT!

Comment

Thanks for your opinion!
      I think I could seriously consider it this year, but I'd have to plan it very carefully to make it work ahah. His sister would definitely be a great "spy" and help, I think. I never told her about this idea, but we get on well and she is really close with him, so I don't think there'd be any reason for her not to "support" me.

I guess what holds me back a lil bit (apart from practical things, like seeing if i can actually afford a trip in more than usual and exams dates) is the fact he doesnt give bdays a great importance, if it makes sense.
      Plus, depending on how things turn out to be with his new job, he mentioned the possibility of coming here that month, so i'd have to wait what happens with it too. Basically, most of it is just in my head for the moment ahah

Comment

Even if he doesn't really feel that bdays are important, seeing you coming unexpectedly would be a great surprise anyway

Comment

I surprised my SO last month and it went very well. He had no idea about any of it (I almost slipped up a few times but thankfully I realised just before I was about to say something about it and managed to avoid blurting it out). It was difficult keeping it from him and I had to make up a reason for being away for pretty much a whole day (my flight was 8 hours long - he's in America and I'm in England), but it went amazingly and I would definitely recommend doing it! I'd love to do it again, but he'll probably figure it out if I did do it again haha. His Mum and sister picked me up from the airport and took me to him, he was definitely surprised - he stood still just staring for a few seconds and then gave me a massive hug I did worry whether he'd be happy about me turning up on his doorstep, but he said to me that he absolutely loved it and it gave us an extra couple of weeks that he didn't think we would have had. If you do go ahead with it, best of luck and let us know how it goes!

Comment

I surprised my SO and showed up at his office. He loved it. And I know how you feel about bdays. I feel the same way!
            sigpic

I love him. Forever. And every day after that.

Comment

Thanks everyone for sharing the experience, I really want to do it now!
              Unfortunately my exams turned out to be in the way and, also, I can't really afford it atm I was sooo excited at the idea!! I hope to be able to do it next year though. Fingers crossed

Comment

Working...
              X