Istanbul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Istanbul

Hello everyone! I realize this is a less popular city trip destination, but maybe some of you have been here anyway. (Or general Turkey do's and dont's, Differentcountries?)
    Going to visit a friend in Istanbul for a week in August. I know from personal experience that you rarely do the real tourist attractions in your own city/area unless you have to show someone around, so I don't think I should rely on him too much for ideas. I've never been to Turkey before so any kind of general travel advice or experience would be appreciated!

I have sadly never been to Istanbul. I know people who have, they say that getting a guided tour can be useful. I hear there are some great mosques (like the Blue mosque) and markets people reccomend going to, as well as crossing the bridge between the European /Asian part of the city. That is all heresay though, as I have never been there myself!

Any general questions about Turkey I might answer, though My favourite things about Turkey is the food (especially barbeque and yaprak sarma -wine leaf rolls) and drinks (ayran, chai, mineral water, fresh orange juice), the music and of course the people Sometimes food (especially fish) is sold by kilo price so be aware if the price on the menu looks strange. Turks are generally fond of cash money, so I will reccomend withdrawing (remember to ask for your card back or the ATM swallows it incredibly fast). You will find that even though it is a Muslim country, alcohol are sold many places exept 200 meters from the nearest mosque - I love raki, and if you are into beer then Efes is the local brand to try. If you go to a mosque to visit (any day but Friday are good days), wear prefferably long sleeves, pants or long skirts and be prepared to cover your hair/neck/ chest with a scarf. Some mosques provide provide scarfs if you don't bring your own. If you find yourself og walking around in a tourist trap and people are pushy with their goods, don't argue,just keep walking or you might say "Hayir" (no).

If you are going to shop in grocery stores, Migros has almost everything - and very nice teas. A good chain for things you can't find at Migros is the 28 Sali Palazari - they have really cheap, high quality eye makeup, for instance. Otherwise ask around when there are local markets - a great place to get souvinires, fruit and candy.
    Last edited by differentcountries; July 20, 2015, 05:32 PM.
    I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
    - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Working...
    X