How to marry in the USA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to marry in the USA?

Hi everybody. On my last visit to my so in August, he proposed me and gave me the most wonderful promise ring I've ever seen.
    Of course I said yes!
    But now we have to find a solution for me to go to the US and get married, legally. I think we have to go for a Fiancée Visa K1.
    Has anybody here ever went through this request? My main concern is that he doesn't have great income (but he owns his house). I'm sure his Mom would accept to be our support but it worries me.
    I don't want to go on a tourist visa and get married because we could be accused of visa fraud.
    Can you share your own experience? Thank you so much in advance.

You wouldn't get in trouble for marrying on a ESTA as long as you leave the country after the 90 days are up. But if you want to live there you are right it's best to get a K-1. I haven't been though it yet but I have read up on it. You can find all the information on the USCIS website. His mom must earn 125% of the feudal poverty level in order to be able to co-sponsor.
    Engaged Dec 2015!! Visa approved June 2016 . Married July 18th 2016 <3

Home is where the heart is and my home will always be with my love.
    All the way from England to the USA.

Comment

My husband and I have been through the whole process and if there is more questions on this topic, just let me know and I'll respond the best I can!

USCIS really makes sure your fiancé earns enough money yearly to make sure you are not going to be a burden on the country - the minimum is based on the poverty guidelines (https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/...orm/i-864p.pdf). You need to show that he makes 125% which for 2 people is $19,912 yearly (It was ~$23k when I applied) and goes up depending on how many dependents he has (e.g. if he has one kid, it'd be 3 people total).

They do accept a co-sponsor, however, they add to the dependents, e.g. if his mom would help, their combined income would have to include everyone that lives in her and his household, which means if it was just his mom and him and you, 3 people, but if both his parents are in the picture, it would be 4, so $30,312.

ALSO: Check out visajourney.com - they have a lot of information on US visas!
      Last edited by snow; September 20, 2015, 08:59 AM.

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
      First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
      Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
      Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
      Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
      Married: 1/24/2015
      Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

Thanks a lot for this information. But I was afraid of that. Even with his mom's help (meaning 3 people) I don't think we'll have enough income.
        I've read they don't care if I bring money (I will sell my house), it has to be US income.
        I'm going to try with the Green Card Lottery. If I'm lucky it will solve all the problems, but...
        We talk about love and talk about money. It's unfair.

Comment

Originally posted by OzzysIzzy View Post
          Thanks a lot for this information. But I was afraid of that. Even with his mom's help (meaning 3 people) I don't think we'll have enough income.
          I've read they don't care if I bring money (I will sell my house), it has to be US income.
          I'm going to try with the Green Card Lottery. If I'm lucky it will solve all the problems, but...
          We talk about love and talk about money. It's unfair.
          I thought you could use your own savings towards it? It has to be 3x the amount of the missing threshold so if you are missing $3000 a year you need $9000. A lot of people end up taking out second jobs to meet the income requirement. I understand why they have that requirement. It's $30,000 for us as we both have a child each. But honestly I don't know how we would live off less? There is rent, bills, food and then you have to pay for your own medical insurance and if anything else comes up. It is hard though for those who don't earn enough. You shouldn't be using public benefits when you are coming to live with your spouse. It's the same in Europe although less so. In England it's worse. But I do completely sympathize. it's very difficult
          Engaged Dec 2015!! Visa approved June 2016 . Married July 18th 2016 <3

Home is where the heart is and my home will always be with my love.
          All the way from England to the USA.

Comment

My intention is to find a job as soon as possible. If they let me in. Thank you for your support.

Comment

Originally posted by OzzysIzzy View Post
              My intention is to find a job as soon as possible. If they let me in. Thank you for your support.
              As soon as possible is at least 3 months in, because it takes 3 months to get a work permit :/

I heard about being able to bring 3x the money that is missing, but I can't find a reference to it, so I can't say for sure it's doable.

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
              First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
              Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
              Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
              Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
              Married: 1/24/2015
              Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

Green card lottery is certainly a lottery and you have very little chance of getting it.

Your money doesn't matter but if you deposit your money to your SOs bank account you could use it as "assets". Otherwise you will need a cosponsor.

VISA journey is a better forum for info. Spend time searching the forum as all these questions have been answered before.

Comment

Working...
                X