My Australian Prince

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Australian Prince

I thought I'd share my love story with everyone.

Back on August in 2011 (I was 14 at the time and he was 16), I was on a social website looking for friends. I didn't really connect with anyone in person because I was shy and awkward. Anyway, on this website, you could admire people and they would get a notification saying someone had admired them. Then, when they wanted to find out who, it could pop up with 9 profiles and they had 5 guesses to see who it was. If they guessed correctly, it would match the people (it sounds like a dating sight, but it was really just for fun). I was scrolling through people and I admired him because I was liked his profile picture. A few days later, it said we were a match. I looked at his profile and discovered that he lived in Australia. I had no idea before that. I didn't really think anything of it because I had been a match with other people and nothing happened. Well he messaged me on the website and we got chatting. We ended up adding each other on Facebook, and things went on from there.

During the time I met him, I had just started 9th grade. I was depressed and feeling hopeless. People at school bullied me and called me ugly. The only friend I had was this guy from Australia. Something about him made me feel so comfortable with him and sharing personal struggles with him. Luckily, he was the type of guy who wanted to help people. He told me that he was on that website to meet people who were struggling so he could help them feel better. Despite the time difference, we would message each other while I was in school. Talking to someone about my problems was something new to me because everyone judged me for being depressed. The friends I had before I met him had ditched me because I "was a freak with emotional problems." But he told me to, "Hang in there, I'm always here for you, I promise," and "You'll get through this. Remember that you'll always have me to talk to, even if I'm not there physically." This is hard for me to share...but..there were a few times I tried to kill myself... There were also multiple times I thought about it, but I could never go through with it because I always thought back to my friend in Australia...I was afraid of how he would feel if I was gone.. We talked about wanting to meet and how he promised me he would take me to a zoo to meet Koalas (my favorite animals). Looking back on it, I stayed strong because he gave me hope. He showed me that my life meant something and he gave me a best friend that I've always wanted. (I will always love him for not giving up on me <3)

I remember when we first Skyped. I didn't have my own laptop, so I had to use my mom's (she put a password on the webcam so neither my brother or I would use it for other things). We talked for a few hours on Skype every few months. It got to the point where I asked my mom if I could have an iPod for Christmas because I knew that it had Facetime. I finally got an iPod on Christmas. We Facetimed as much as we could (with us both being in high school, it was really hard). I kept my relationship private while at school because I knew people wouldn't understand.

On December 2nd, 2011, I woke up around 3 am because of my insomnia at the time. I messaged him letting him know I couldn't sleep, so we stayed up chatting. That was the day he asked me out. He said he really liked me and wasn't sure if things would work out between us, but he would try his hardest. Of course I said yes! I was head over heals for him and I wanted to be his girlfriend.

Skip forward to almost 4 years later, we are now 18 and 20 and we've been out of high school for at least a year. I went to Australia last year to meet him for the first time. It was so amazing and he was everything I had ever hoped for. I'm so thankful we met all those years ago. He has helped me with so much (overcoming depression, showing me how to live a happy life, finishing high school). He pushed and motivated me so much in school that I graduated high school a year early! He also made good on his promise of taking me to see Koalas (they were so cute!!). My SO and I are currently more serious in our relationship and I plan to move down there next year. I never would have thought that a simple thing as admiring someone online would lead to where we are now. I tell him that even though we're 8,000+ miles apart, I would not change this for the world. I look at our relationship as an adventure. If I was dating someone here, my life would not be as exciting. I like to call what my SO and I have is fate. Ever since I was 6 years old, I wanted to go to Australia. Everything about Australia intrigued me and I always felt drawn there. I know, it's a bit weird and crazy...but I can't explain why this happened. I believe in fate and I believe this was meant to be.

Sorry for the long post, but I hope you enjoyed reading my journey with my LDR

Hi there it is long post but i have taken time to read all of it, and its AMAZING story i really like it, i was also feeling kinda touched the way you guys did things. i just gotta say one thing is that about you moving in to live with him i think its perfectly fine idea but, i think its too soon like you should firist atleast go to uneversity and finish it coz you will be more mature afther it, and see things in diffrent light. take things slow. its just my suggestion, its your call. Overall again its amazing story glad he was able to help you and "Save you" the way he did, keep on fighting there in the end ldr is all about things u cant really explain how u feel but you just feel like that.

Comment

Hey, thanks for the reply on my thread

I actually am in my first year of uni at the moment (I'm doing online, so that makes it easier when I travel around.) We've been together for so long and being apart for years, we are working towards closing the distance. We're not rushing to close the distance by any means, it's just something we're slowly working towards.

Thanks by the way. He's my person and I know we're meant to be together. We've been through so much (a lot harder than what I went through) but we've still managed to stay together. LDR is hard, but I would never give it up. It's taught me to be independent and mature, something that I has definitely helped me in my life

Comment

That's a really lovely story and quite similar to my own!!!

I would not be who I am today without my SO and even the distance is soooooo tough, he is worth every second of the struggle.

It was only when we met for the first time last month that I found out just how much I had helped him too. He went through some really dark times, his mum told me (in private away from him) that if it wasn't for me, he wouldn't be here now.

I totally relate to why you kept your relationship under wraps, I did too and only told a few trusted friends. Since we've met in person though and everything was great, I am happy to tell the whole world!!!

I hope you guys continue to grow and flourish and I wish you all the best for closing the distance!!!

Comment

Awww, I'm glad you both were able to help each other through the tough times Everyone always says, "You have to love yourself first before you can love someone else." I think sometimes people just need to be shown how to love themselves (that was how I was and my SO taught me to do that) It's always nice to have someone in life that has helped through the struggles.

I'm the same way now. Now that my SO and I have met, I can gladly tell people how we met and that we are dating!

Thanks, we're hoping to close the distance before I finish my schooling! (that's about 3 years away)

Comment

Oh goodness! <3
            This is so nice You are right. We could never thought we could meet a best friend online than in person. And we could never thought we could fall in love through online. Sad thing yah, we cant share it with everybody But we are proud and glad we have the guy who would stick to us through hard times! Keep holding on and hope for a strongest relations for both of you

Comment

Working...
            X