Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finding out in advance - a green card for me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finding out in advance - a green card for me?

It's complicated so I thought I write here if someone has an idea. I have actually also written to the American Embassy in Finland but it will take a while before they answer

The embassy gave me this page to look at but I can't see myself there.
    https://travel.state.gov/content/vis...reference.html

So my SO cannot come to Finland because of family issues that will not change in the short term. So we agreed that I at least look into moving to the States with kids.

My minor children (11 and 13) are Finnish and American citizen. Their father is American citizen. We got divorced 2 years ago. For my kids it would be easy to move to the U.S. and their father might want them there for a year or so. But since my SO is there, then it would make sense we all live on the same continent, although across the country.

I do not know if I'm eligible for an immigrant visa and a green card. Common sense sounds that I would be and it would be also in kids' best interest to stay with their close parent.
    But who can sponsor me to the U.S.? Minors can't. My SO can't. My ex mother-in-law? Do I need a sponsor? Children would be living with both parents but mainly with me. Of course they are growing up and have their own opinion so they could also live with their dad if they wish.

Even though this is long term and uncertain how things will go, I am a planner and want to find out in advance.
    So if anyone has a comment, I'd like to hear it

edit: someone may ask about getting married. We have not talked about that. First I want to find out about green card.

Work visas, college visas or your SO sponsoring you are the only ways I am aware that you could get a visa. Your children are not 21 and so can not sponsor you. My daughter is also a US citizen. You either have to get married, get a job or get funds to go to college.

ETA: Visa Journey has good advice for visas on there.
    Last edited by Ella85; November 23, 2015, 08:31 AM.
    Engaged Dec 2015!! Visa approved June 2016 . Married July 18th 2016 <3

Home is where the heart is and my home will always be with my love.
    All the way from England to the USA.

Comment

Thanks Ella. So I figured it must be. Depressing to hear but need to find other way.

Comment

I'm sorry I know how bad it really sucks But unfortunately that's all I know about it.

Comment

we talked today. even when he is divorced it may be a problem to sponsor me because he has sponsored his ex, also as a caregiver he can't run his business so no money to sponsor me. Good thing is this brought us to talk about marriage for the first time. We agreed to look for other ways to solve this. But I really don't know if there is a way. Can life get more unfair than this?

Comment

I don't have anything to add other than "I feel your pain". Just wanted to send a message of support to you and that I wish you the best of luck figuring out a way to make it work! Many of us are in the same boat, so we understand completely just how unfair it is

Comment

I think any US/UE relationship can agree and relate to that Unfortunately it's so difficult to move from one to other place if you are not in formal relationship. best of luck to both of you, and you'll find a way, please let us know

Comment

I was somehow naive and thought since my kids are American citizens that would make a difference. I truly never even doubted it until I really started looking. Now there doesn't seem to be any light at the end of the tunnel. I'm hoping to go see him in February but that's all we have plans for.

Comment

Actually you can apply for a co-sponsor so yes, if you got married to SO your ex or your ex mother in law could co-sponsor. Go onto visa journey and you will see people who have sponsored another person before. Yes it does raise flags but it's not impossible. They just might ask for more evidence for your relationship especially as he's not even divorced yet! If he is separated that'll help.

Comment

Ella or someone else can I ask you. What do you know about staying in the States on a visa waiver up to 3 months, can you then just cross the border to Mexico or Canada and go right back? How long can you do this in a row? I would not want to get into any kind of trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by farandaway View Post
                      Ella or someone else can I ask you. What do you know about staying in the States on a visa waiver up to 3 months, can you then just cross the border to Mexico or Canada and go right back? How long can you do this in a row? I would not want to get into any kind of trouble.
                      That sounds not possible. The general rule is that you have to stay 3 months out of the country if you have been 3 months in (can only stay 90 days during a 180 day period), there is very few countries where you can just cross the border and come back because they count the time you stayed away. Then you would have to stay in Canada for 3 months before you could come back and you could only stay 6 months out of the year in total.

Here it is explained on visa waivers that there is no exeption: "Trips to Canada, Mexico, or nearby Islands. If you are admitted to the United States under the VWP, you may take a short trip to Canada, Mexico, or a nearby island and generally be readmitted to the United States under the VWP for the remainder of the original 90 days granted upon your initial arrival in the United States. Therefore, the length of time of your total stay, including the short trip, must be 90 days or less." https://travel.state.gov/content/vis...r-program.html
                      I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
                      - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

You can't be seen to be spending too much of the year in the US or they will see it as you trying to live there. You can't go back to back like that as far as I know.

Comment

I go from the USA to Mexico and back and forth all the time during the 90 days, that's no problem. After 90 days I think you have to stay out of the U.S. at least that amount of time.

Comment

ok that makes sense. Hopefully next summer I will get to spend a longer period of time with my SO. I still have my home in Finland anyway.

Comment

Working...
                            X