3rd visit, my first time flying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3rd visit, my first time flying

I'm going to see my girlfriend in 15 days. She's visited here twice, this will be my first time visiting her. I've never flown before, never even been to a medium sized airport, let alone a large one. And I will be flying from BUF to JFK then to LGW. And I have major anxiety issues. Oi. Lol this is why she usually visits me but I really want to meet her family before we get serious about marraige.

Our visits so far have been 2 weeks long because that's all she can get off from work but I'll be staying there for a month. Can't wait to spend time with her (even though she'll be working a lot). But I am definitely not excited about the traveling part.

Do you have some anxiety meds to take before you fly?

I flew to see my SO in Chicago a few months ago and it was my first time flying alone and my first time out of Europe. I hadn't flown for 11 years and I was terrified. It was also our first time meeting and the first time I had left my kids so my anxiety was through the roof beforehand. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be though. I had a window seat and flying across the tip of Greenland was absolutely amazing. On the way back I saw the northern lights and that was also simply mind blowing.

Remember that every minute of your flight that passes is another minute closer to seeing your SO, have a drink on the plane and try to relax by watching the movies on the plane. You will be fine. And you'll see your SO for a whole month!!! That's awesome. Enjoy every second!

Comment

Thank you. I will be talking to my doctor in a few days about anxiety meds for the trip, she tends to be strict about that kind of stuff and doesn't like prescribing it. I'm hoping since it's a big deal she'll make an exception. I don't drink but if I'm REALLY anxious I might make an exception.

All the anxiety will be worth it as soon as I see her. I'm hoping she'll be able to meet me at the airport because after that I have to use public transit to get to her house and I'll have 2 pieces of luggage. One FULL of goodies from here that they don't get there. It will be filled with goodies from there on the way back

Comment

I've found the idea is scarier than actually doing it for me personally. I've gone to visit my SO twice now (having never flown before either), and the only time I ever felt real anxiety was on my first trip there when I was worried about missing my connection. I didn't and have yet to have an issue. Been on eight flights now and aside from the initial anxiety it gets easier every time. The airport(s) (been to six now) are all easy to find your way through, it's just a matter of following signs. Good luck to you. It'll be so worth it!

Comment

Thank you. My biggest worry was getting lost and having to ask someone for directions (social phobia -_- ) but sounds like I shouldn't worry too much. I have plenty of time between flights so I should be good

Comment

You will be fine. everyone one around me freaks out more about me traveling by myself than I do. The flight to always feels like forever because I'm excited and anxious to see him. Airports are fairly easy to navigate as long as you follow the signs and if you get lost well just find someone and ask! They're always happy to help. I'm not sure whether or not they have Dramamine which is over the counter meds for motion sickness but that knocks me out for the flight and I am totally fine. Good luck and have fun!

Comment

Ty I might get some dramamine, I have vertigo and that is an over the counter treatment for that so, bonus. I just won't use it until the 2nd flight lol don't need to be groggy at JFK

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyKat View Post
                Ty I might get some dramamine, I have vertigo and that is an over the counter treatment for that so, bonus. I just won't use it until the 2nd flight lol don't need to be groggy at JFK
                No you don't lol! Save it for the transatlantic flight. Although, I found it went quite quickly and wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyKat View Post
                  Thank you. My biggest worry was getting lost and having to ask someone for directions (social phobia -_- ) but sounds like I shouldn't worry too much. I have plenty of time between flights so I should be good
                  Airports are pretty easy to navigate, last year I had a stopover in Tokyo and as soon as I got off the plane there were staffers answering questions and there were even folks farther down directing people where to go (customs if Japan was their final destination or the way to go for transfers). Even when there aren't staff around like that there is signage everywhere.

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about missing your connection either. I had a 2 hour delay in Detroit due to a bag being left on the plane and security had to clear us before we could take off but we managed to make it to Japan on schedule even despite of that 2 hour delay.

Enjoy your trip! Traveling to another country is always exciting and when you are there with your SO it's an added bonus!

Comment

Working...
                  X