Help With US Visa?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help With US Visa?

Hello everyone, I'm new here and I have a few questions about US visa that hopefully someone with experience might be able to help me with.

To summarize:
    - I have been in a LDR for a little over a year
    - I am from the US, the guy is from Argentina
    - I went to meet him this past summer
    - Now I am saving up money for him to come visit me here in the states

When I went to Argentina, I did not have to acquire a visa because my stay was less than 90 days - so I am not very familiar with visa and policies.
    As I understand it, to visit he needs a passport (check!) and a non-immigrant visa, or a B-2 visa. He then has to fill out the DS-160 form to apply for the visa. Supposedly there is also an interview and some sort of $160 fee involved as well, but everywhere I have been reading online likes to sprinkle the information around to make it difficult.

My questions are:
    - Can I fill out the form for him or help him fill it out?
    - Can I pay the fee for him from my personal finances, or does he have to pay it?
    - How soon in advance of the date of the trip should I have him apply for his visa?
    - After the visa is accepted, does its validity start immediately or can we choose?
    - When should we buy the airline ticket? (They are cheapest 3 or more months in advance so I'd like to buy it early, but they are non-refundable so I don't want to mess up big time )
    - How many interviews are involved, where are they, and what are they like?
    - How can we be sure the visa will get accepted, or how long will it take?

I appreciate your responses from anyone who has experience dealing with visa. Also if you could direct me to any helpful links or resources I would greatly appreciate that as well.

My sources:
    travel dot state dot gov (visas info)
    ceac dot state dot gov

www.visajourney.com

Read and search the website before asking a question there as posters are not always super friendly.

Comment

Thanks for the response. I actually found that site myself yesterday while looking around. It's really helpful for picking up tips. It's not very common for someone from Argentina to come over with his status so I worry that he will be denied a visa for no real reason

Comment

I said this on another thread just a few weeks ago- young, unmarried men with no property, no family and from poor nations are the least likely to be given tourist visas to the USA. I'd say there's about a 5% chance he's given one.

And it is for a reason. I know of quite a few people who were let into the USA on a visitor visa and then defected. They eventually left and were given 10 year bans on entering the USA. It sucks that it's got to be hard on all of us well intentioned people, but rules are there for a reason.

Comment

Working...
        X